Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Admiral Buzzkill, May 23, 2013.

1. geneo

geneo Lieutenant Red Shirt

Kathleen Quinlan would be a good Romulan captain, she has the looks, a little point on the ears and tugging of the eyes and she would be perfect.

2. geneo

geneo Lieutenant Red Shirt

Even if Dwayne's Walking Tall movie was terrible, I'd still rather watch him over Carrey anyday.

3. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

1. It'll either be Klingons, Borg, or V'ger.

2. I support The Rock being in the movie. For The Gratuitous Underwear Scene (TM).

3. I think Shatner should deliver the "These Are The Voyages" Speech.

4. It needs to be big. Like fucking huge. They set the bar really high.

4. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Looks like they're having a Romulan Klingon War in the After Darkness comic so I think that that theme's out for the next movie

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

No.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dwayne Johnson is quite a good actor and despite having been at it for a while is probably at the beginning of his real career.

7. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

It's interesting to read the mostly positive comments about Dwayne Johnson. When he appeared on the VOY episode most trek fans on this site were outraged, saying a wrestler had no business being in a trek episode and it was nothing but UPN promoting their wrestling show.

I was one of the few people who supported him, pointing out that he already had acting experience since he was a WWE wrestler. Also he was playing a wrestler type athelte on the show and not some scientist. He was good in it and it was a decent and entertaining episode but got bashed by VOY fans.

8. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Eh, I liked it. Johnson was pretty much playing the Rock role, but he was good, Hertzler and the Hirogen Fighter/Seven interaction were very good, and Combs was appropriately slimy in his role. What's not to like?

9. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Ironic, isn't it ? Fans from one type of genre fiction not wanting anything to do with stuff from another one. :) I was just glad to see him.

10. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

There's a greater chance of seeing The Rock in the next Star Wars films.

And that will be so funny. Now that Abrams does both, he will get criticized from both ends. Why did he do all those cool things in Star Wars, but only the sucky things in Star Trek? Why did they cast all the A-listers in Wars VII, but not in Trek III? Or vice versa.

11. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Vice versa indeed. You remember how much flak Lucas got for the prequels ? SW fans complain just as much. :)

12. Kruezerman

"WHAT? DISNEY OWNS STAR WARS NOW? MY CHILDHOOD IS DEAD!"

Sounds familiar...

13. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

14. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Wasn't the main complaint from fans not against Johnson specifically so much as that the episode was shameless cross-promotion for wrestling on the UPN network? It's like when they try and awkwardly shoehorn characters from a new series into an established one or spend an entire season blatantly incorporating Degree Antiperspirant into the narrative of each episode (I'm looking at you, Eureka).

As far as those types of things go, I agree that it was actually an okay episode, but I could see why it would bug some people.

15. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Don't forget, 'Big Show' was on Enterprise as well! T'pol kicked his ass iirc. I suppose there was rage on here then as well!

I think people are more receptive toward Johnson now because he has had a very successful career in blockbuster movies since then and is not a bad actor. I just think he would make a good Klingon and remembered the Trek connection :)

16. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

For me, the problem with "Tsunkatse" was it was just cheap. The set was terrible--like something out of a cartoon, and it was obvious they hadn't put a lot of effort into the choreography.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

As much as I am willing to give Johnson the benefit of the doubt, there is one role he is about to play which I wish he wasn't: my favorite country singer, Charley Pride.

18. Kruezerman

HE ISN'T.

19. Mr. Laser Beam

20. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

What has a Charley Pride biopic got to do with anything under discussion here? Go start a thread in GTV&M if you really want to talk about that, but don't derail any threads in this forum with it.