One Year Gap (spoilers, kinda)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by mattman8907, May 19, 2013.

1. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, Spock mentions that it was the first time a mission that long had be tried at the end of the film.

Plus at the beginning form how I interpreted kirk and Spock's discussion on the way to meeting Pike only one ship was going to get the mission. So I doubt if anyone else got it the Enterprise would be doing one.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Kirk was obviously taking refresher courses on the Prime Directive and Report Writing. :eek:

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

From Pine's delivery of the line, it's ambigous if "one year ago" means the movie's main events, or if he's referring to when he first officially took command of the Enterprise a year earlier (at the end of XI).

Personally, I prefer to assume the final scene is set a year after the main movie, it explains how the Enterprise was repaired, and Kirk and crew would likely need to stick around for a year anyway, for inquiries and tribunals which likely had to follow everything that went down. Really, a year is still not enough time for all that, but maybe beuracracy improves in the future?

Plus by placing the After Darkness comic in 2260, it's exactly seven years prior to Amok Time. That's kind of crucial to the plot of After Darkness.

4. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

No it really isn't seeing as Amok Time was the first time Spock dealt with that particular issue, hence why he would have thought it might not have been a problem he would have to deal with at the time.

5. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

maybe Kirk was talking about the first time he got aboard the enterprise and the ceremony being one year after the battle of vulcan.

as for Spock's pon farr, unless they have some plot twist and someone had provoked it artificially it's possible that the traumatic events happened to him in the last year (mom's death, vulcan destroyed then Pike, Kirk, Khan) has made him have his first pon farr sooner.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think there was anything ambiguous about Kirk's "one year ago" at all. He plainly said that the previous events of STID had occurred a year before the final scene.

7. boobatuba

boobatuba Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^This. He describes how they are paying homage to those who lost their lives a year ago. Only the fan-wankiest of fans could re-interpret such a clear reference.

8. BillJ

You know where you are? :lol:

9. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

The comics aren't 'canon' so they can say what they like. But one week after the movie is one week after Kirk sets out on the 5 year mission which is a year after 'The Vengeance' crashed into San Fran.

I don't think its Fan Wank to want to sort out the dates though, just to be obsessed about them. I prefer the term fanon which I learnt here.

10. The Wormhole

All I meant was by having After Darkness in 2260, Spock's next ponn farr will be in 2267 (same year as Amok Time) and from there he'll be on the same ponn farr cycle he was on in the Prime Universe.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

North Fanwank, New Jersey?

12. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

I've seen the movie three times and I'm still not certain if the "one year ago" was in reference to the events of STID or to Kirk's reciting the captain's oath before Pike.

13. DredZed

DredZed Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Kirk's speech was this:

"There will always be those who mean to do us harm. To stop them, we risk awakening the same evil within ourselves.

Our first instinct is to seek revenge when those we love are taken from us. But that's not who we are.

We are here today to rechristen the USS Enterprise, and to honor those who lost their lives nearly one year ago.

When Christopher Pike first gave me his ship, he had me recite the captain's oath. Words I didn't appreciate at the time. Now, I see them as a call for us to remember who we once were, and who we must be again."

He's definitely referring to the events of Into Darkness as happening "nearly one year ago." The part about Pike and the captains oath is a distinctly separate sentence.

14. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep, saw it yesterday, that is indeed how it is said.

15. The Wormhole

Thing is, to me anyway, Chris Pine's delivery kind of makes it sound like:

"We are here today to rechristen the USS Enterprise, and to honor those who lost their lives. Nearly one year ago, when Christopher Pike first gave me his ship, he had me recite the captain's oath..."

Indeed, since IDW seems to be unaware of a year's gap, perhaps they too were confused? Although, in their case, you'd think the script would be made available and the way the speech was written would make it clear what was meant to be said.

16. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

No.
    The other version up-thread is correct.

17. The Wormhole

I'm not disputing which one is correct. I'm just saying the way it's delivered can cause confusion, and clearly has.

18. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

There is a lot going on in that movie. You can miss the most obvious things, like Khan being the one who cripples the Enterprise so that she loses all her power.

But the delivery of that line doesn't cause any confusion.

19. BillJ

There was simply no way they could've refitted the Enterprise in a week. Which is all the time they would've had if we go with the interpretation that the speech was one year after the first film.

20. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

When I saw the film the first time, I thought Kirk was talking about the events of the 2009 film. If you don't want to read into/believe that interpretation, that's your right to do so. But I do believe it is ambiguous, after having seen the film again. That being said, the IDW timeline on the website has a couple of issues that need fixing.

Maybe Orci can clarify it (or not).