New Star Wars animated show "Rebels" coming fall 2014

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Booji, May 20, 2013.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Now when are we going to get our animated Trek series with Kirk and Spock in Abramverse? :confused:

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Now this is something I'm more curious about than The Clone Wars.

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I have to admit I'm a lot more excited about this series than I ever was about The Clone Wars back when it was first announced and then premiered. I grew to love the Prequel-era show as time went by, but it was a series I had to take the time to watch and slowly get used to.

4. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah even as good as it became, I still had a hard time really caring about the larger Clone War happening in the background, or whatever boring plot was being orchestrated by the separatists or Dooku or Grievous.

Hopefully this time it'll be much easier to get emotionally involved in the larger story taking place, with a much clearer struggle against the Empire and characters who are a lot more fun to watch.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Yeah, and we wouldn't have the complication of being asked to root for a hero that we knew would eventually become a child-murdering archvillain.

6. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well why didn't you share this with us? I've been simmering in my own juices since TCW was canned! :lol:

Would he though? Historically I would agree that Vader would best anyone but I read a very smart article/post/opinion piece a while ago that suggested that Vader was really not as powerful as his presence would suggest. This is why Palps is so eager to get Luke instead of Vader in V-VI... Armored Vader is a consolation prize. Sure he's powerful with anger but he's encased in a suit limiting his movement and vision. Plus, he can't do the force lightning trick on account of having a mostly metal body. He duels with Obi Wan who wants to be defeated anyway to force-ghost himself... then he battles Luke twice, once where he doesn't want to kill him (I am your father) and then again while Palps is egging on Luke to destroy him!

I think if Vader ends up being a presence in this series and has some lightsaber screen time it'll be critical to what extent they are going to show his adjustment as a Jedi (sith) in this walking coffin that he's stuck inside. But hey - I'd be pleased as punch to see Vader cut Ahsoka in two if that's truly the end of her story. And what an incredible ending that would be.

7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I'm still kinda hoping Ahsoka gets frozen in carbonite and hidden away long to be defrosted in time for Episode VII... ;)

Seriously though, I'd be disappointed if they choose to just have Vader end up hunting her down and killing her. The way they left it with her leaving the order really leaves the door open to some interesting opportunities. There are (I assume) plenty of familiar faces that survived Order 66 who could pop up and face off against Vader.

That's assuming of course he even features. We don't even know yet what the focus of the story might be. Sure, the title certainly means it's something to do with the Rebel Alliance, but that doesn't necessarily mean it'll be about the big players.
    Given that they'll be marketing this to kids and one assumes it'll be an action show, my bet is that the main character will be someone new and it'll focus on Rebel fighter pilots. Think the Rogue Squadron books, but with a younger cast...and not actually being about Rogue Squadron.

8. cooleddie74

Had Vader remained healthy and intact in the body of Anakin Skywalker as seen in Episode III he would have been far stronger and more dangerous than he was as a cyborg in the era of the Original Trilogy. A Sith Lord with natural organic arms can throw Force lightning, but Vader no longer had any of his original limbs remaining at the time he was rescued from death and placed inside the life-support armor. He was no longer as quick or skilled with a lightsaber as he was when he was still Anakin and his reaction times in combat were slowed significantly. He had immense and lethal psychokinetic powers and his reach with the Dark Side when it came to foreseeing events was very potent - second only to the Emperor's - but after the near-fatal duel on Mustafar he was a shell of his former self.

9. Ain Jalut

Ain Jalut Lieutenant

It was probably more psychological damage. I never heard about body parts mattering in terms of force potential.

10. cooleddie74

The most recent edition of the Star Wars Visual Dictionary stated in its chapter on the rebuilding and rebirth of Darth Vader as a cyborg that - and I paraphrase - "as a result of having artificial arms, Darth Vader will never be able to conjure Sith lightning and will prove more vulnerable to it."

One of those things that was never mentioned nor explained in any of the films but retconned into the Saga by later reference materials that were approved by Lucas and his people.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, I am so excited for this. I was really hoping they would do something closer to the OT for the new animated series.
    I wonder if they'll set this late enough in the timeline that we can get Leia as our Ahsoka type teen/child character? Or maybe Han?

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Although not so much on the "Lucas and" part. I gather that Lucas paid very little attention to the tie-ins. He had people he paid to do that for him.

I'd like to see that. Maybe if she were about 12 to 14, still a child but old enough to be fairly knowledgeable, to take on some responsibilities, and maybe have some chaste cartoon-suitable romance here and there. And at the same time there could be exploration of Luke's formative experiences on Tatooine with Biggs and the gang.

13. Ain Jalut

Ain Jalut Lieutenant

Yeah, but as far as i know his power level went down after the lava bath, it was not just about force lightning.

14. cooleddie74

Oh, I know it's not about just Force lightning. My post five entries earlier mentions more than just his abilities to throw lightning like other Sith Lords. After his near-death experience on Mustafar practically everything about him was weaker and less impressive. Combat skills. Speed. Agility. Strength with a lightsaber. He was a shell of his self when he was still a Jedi Knight and still Anakin Skywalker. Only in the realm of psychic and psychokinetic Force powers was he stronger, and that was largely because his confinement to the black life-support armor and transformation into not much more than a machine left him few other avenues where he could surpass his old skills when he was still mostly human. He spent the next generation focusing on and refining those powers because as a swordsman and warrior he was slowed and hobbled with no chance of regaining the athletic glory of his youth.

15. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

That whole thing about Vader being less agile because of the cybernetics rather falls over when you look at Grievous and how insanely agile he was with *his* cybernetics. Hell, he had a Robocop style full body prosthesis!

I do vaguely recall Lucas saying something to the effect of his reduced biomass (because, sans limbs) is the cause because it means fewer midichlorians...
    So much for "size matters not", no?

I suppose it's possible that Palpy is doing something to limit and control Vader. Perhaps he's syphoning off his power to keep himself going?

16. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Explaining" why Vader is "less agile" than Grievous is the sort of thing I'm not interested in seeing in Rebels, or anywhere else, for that matter.

17. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

It'll be interesting to see what they do. Is there a purpose to having a child Leia character if she's not going to be blasting (presumably) storm troopers? Could they have gotten away with a S1 (younger, I assume a minor) Ahsoka 'killing' non-droid enemies? (I know she seemed to age up later in the series)

18. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This shows some promise, though they really need to focus on new characters and STOP cramming characters we already know the fates of into these stories. I hope they either stay away from a lot of Vader or if they have to have a lot of him, I really hope they make him a villain again. They sure have done a great job of making him a huge pussy over the last 15 years and I miss evil Vader.

19. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well if Darth Vader is not a featured character they can't really eliminate him entirely, that would make no sense. He's supposed to be the most feared figure in the galaxy in this time period between trilogies so at the very LEAST we might see broadcast versions of him everywhere enforcing the grip of the empire. And that might work, too. Maybe that's what they had envisioned for SW:Underworld.

I can picture him offering favorable treatment from the empire in exchange for information on where Jedi are hiding... to some of the poorest in the galaxy. Would make for excellent morality stories.

20. cooleddie74

There are in-universe reasons why Vader's cyborg body and armor don't allow him to be as agile nor physically powerful as Grievous was, and I'm fine with not knowing them. At least one of the novels indicated that the Sith life-support armor he wore for the rest of his life had its limitations and that the cybernetic body parts attached to Anakin's mangled and near-dead body left something to be desired, so that's all that's really needed to know. If Lucas didn't find a pressing need in any of the OT films to describe Vader in such minute detail I don't see why anybody needs to now.