PRISONERS OF TIME - News, Reviews, and Discussion

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Jan 19, 2013.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Damned if I know when I'll be getting the final issue. The only day I have off from work this week is Saturday, and I kinda have a thing going on then that'll keep me in the house. ;)

So feel free to post spoilers (spoiler coded, of course). I'm kind of intrigued by this "unearned final page."

2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm going to spoiler this. You're warned.

The Ainley Master has been using Adam to create a situation where he can finally wipe the Doctor out of time completely. The Doctors tell Adam that the fate of the universe is in his hands, he can be the hero, and he turns on the Master.

The Master and Adam fight. Adam gets stabbed and he's dying. The Master teleports away.

There's a teary goodbye as the Ninth, Tenth, and Eleventh Doctors, as well as Rose, tell Adam that it's going to be okay. Adam asks the Doctors if he really was good enough to travel in the TARDIS. The ninth Doctor says that, yes, maybe he was after all.

This leads to the final page.

It's a funeral for Adam. All the Doctors and all the companions are there, and they look heartbroken. And then the eleventh Doctor walks away from the tombstone, which has Adam's name and reads "One True Companion."

Really? You're all mourning him? He kidnapped all of the companions. He worked with your worst enemey. He gave your worst enemy the power to destroy all of time and space. And you're all heartbroken that he's dead?

Yes, I said earlier in this thread that, y'know, Adam had a point. But this funeral for Adam is just way over the top.

I think I can say, after reading twenty Doctor Who comics written by the Tipton brothers, that I'm confident that they've never watched Doctor Who. Ever.

3. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I never read anything good from those guys, I guess they must be cheap?

4. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Tiptons are my favorite IDW Trek writers. But their DW stuff has been admittedly not as powerful.

5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I got the hardback edition in the mail and finished reading it today.

The art ranged from awful (Fifth, Eighth) to great (Second, Sixth, the final three issues), but story is where it was rather lacking. Aside from the fact that I was spoiled that Adam was the big baddie, I found the plot to be predictable and often boring. Some of the individual romps were engaging (Second, Third, Sixth), others didn't seem to have any point (Fifth), and a few needed another revision or two because of poor pacing (First, Fourth). Additionally, as Allyn noted with the first issue, I felt most of them didn't really invoke that particular era at all, even if the dialogue was spot-on (Second, Third, Fourth, Sixth, Tenth). Lastly, I agree that the final page was unearned and completely out of place. I can see Rose and The Ninth Doctor mourning for Adam's death, but certainly not all of the other companions and the proceeding Doctors, and to call him "One True Companion" makes no sense whatsoever.

I know I sound very harsh on this series, especially considering how much I love The Forgotten (and I know many people didn't like it), but I felt like The Forgotten had more interesting themes and captured the individual eras better than this series.

Overall, an enjoyable read, but it's kind of sad that I got more enjoyment out of visual gags like "Just Police Boxes," "Babel Fish Aquarium" and "The lunatic is on the grass" than the actual series.