Your latest purchases, cont.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Goliath, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Niorah

Niorah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I got this SuperDry hoodie, it is by far the most luxurious, softest, warmest cotton I've tried thus far. And the fit is unbelievably good.

(That's not me in the pic... I found it on their Online Store :shifty: ).

[​IMG]

2. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

A successful shopping expedition yesterday: went to the tailors to pick up a finished pair of trousers and starting browsing fabric books for a casual/informal spring/autumn suit that can be both dressed up and down. Found some nice glen-plaid flannels in one book, but decided to browse the local outlet mall before committing to the order. After a long browse through my usual haunts, I found the perfect suit in Ferragamo. And it was 75% off the full retail price, making it a much cheaper option than having a new one made-up. Amazing luck, really. My size almost never appears the that shop, and to find exactly what I was looking for (strong mid-grey glen plaid, faint blue overcheck, double-breasted, fairly slim cut, good construction) and that fit 90% right straight off the rack was incredible good fortune!

Still needs a little tailoring to clean up the back, take up the sleeves, and finish the trousers so for now, just hanger pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    My very own copy of Catcher in the Rye. Call it emo, but as a teenager, I was thoroughly impressed by it.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

That's because it's a fantastic book.

5. ElBurro

ElBurro Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Coffee, cigarettes and orange juice.

At least the orange juice is healthy.

6. Holdfast

I was bored stiff by it when I first read it as a teen, and even more so when I re-read it a couple of years ago. Caulfield's existential crisis never spoke to me, because his central angst never struck me as something to be unhappy about. Sure, most people are essentially shallow unthinking drones and society encourages that, but really, does that matter?

If they have depth, they will want to learn to think in the fullness of time and then you can have a conversation with them about that. If not, you still have your own sense of self and value to feed upon. Perhaps if I read it at a time when I felt his sense of alienation, loneliness, and emotional dependency, but I hardly ever have.

I think it's a novel that appeals to a different cultural perspective than mine.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

That's probably why I liked it.

Don't worry, though. I got better. :p

8. ElBurro

I didn't like Catcher in the Rye either. I thought Holden was too whiny. His complaining about traits in other people which he himself possessed would have been interesting in the third person, but IMO, in the first person, it was far too...far too...what's the opposite of self aware?

9. Holdfast

Insightless? Emotionally stunted? Self-absorbed?

Any of those describe Holden Caulfield... ;)

10. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

That's gorgeous fabric, Holdfast. Covet, covet, covet...

11. ElBurro

Thank you. All of those sum up the way I feel about the character :)

12. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I actually enjoyed that book immensely. The first time I read it I was a bit young and didn't really get it, but it's improved with subsequent readings and I haven't found anything that really rivals the tone.

13. Holdfast

My pleasure; at your service. :D

Yeah, it's pretty sweet, and I prefer it to the ones I found in the fabric books. My favourite from those had less contrasting between the plaid and the background, but for my purposes and skin-tone, I think the stronger contrast works better.

It's retro, but not too retro. And very versatile: white, pale blue and pale pink solid shirts will all work easily with it, possibly even a pale solid green. Add a dark solid (or very small scale pattern) tie and it's almost good to go. Not quite sure about shoes though. Black's an easy choice, but burgundy should work too, and maybe even a mid/light brown/tan. Not sure about that. I'll have to experiment once it's back from the tailors.

As a fabric, it would work splendidly well for a smart ladies skirt-suit too IMO, esp. as a pencil skirt with a deep pleated center vent at back. Could even add a little dark brown fur (faux if preferred) at the lapels. Would be very 30s/40s, esp. if paired with a smart pair of highheeled dark brown oxford wintips. Just an idle thought.

14. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Your style is more colorful than mine. If I were wearing that bold a suit, I would be sticking w/ black shoes, white or pale blue shirt (maybe pink, definitely not green!), solid tie.

Your idle thought has me salivating. :drool: Black or even the right shade of gray shoes, though. Black, grey or white silk tee shirt. Or cashmere sweater, depending on the weather. Well, that was a nice little daydream. Thanks! :)

15. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

'Farmer's' market day, I bought a head of Iceberg, a mango, red pepper, cucumber, broccoli, pears, plums, more plums, satsumas, tomatoes and cheese (I already had plenty of the good bacon :drool: )

16. pigletsgiblets

pigletsgiblets Commodore Commodore

I went to a used book sale today.I got a box full of books for $5.00.

17. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

A few years ago the last of the good antiquarians here in town (within reasonable distance from where I live) closed -I've had to buy *new* books since then :sigh: -it just isn't the same :(

18. Holdfast

Ah, now that's an interesting choice. I do have one pair of grey shoes in a sort of mottled/variegated finish that may well work with this suit and I hadn't thought of using them with this suit before. Great idea.

19. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I just bought these babies. I wanted something higher but this was my version of a compromise with reality. Sensible, I think.

[​IMG]

20. ElBurro

^ Pretty. ElBurro likey.