TNG Reboot or Original Cast Comeback? What would you perfer?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by darkshadow0001, May 29, 2013.

1. newtontomato539

newtontomato539 Commander Red Shirt

Nemesis didn't bomb!? :wtf:

2009 and Into Darkness are TNG Films!? :wtf:

2. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

No more reboots, please! Let's see something original again!

3. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nah, when the films have run their course we should see Kirk, Spock and McCoy return to television. A five-year-mission sounds like an excellent basis for a television series. :D

4. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

I don't think you'll get the current cast to do a tv series. And I really don't want to see the TOS crew recast yet again!

5. darkshadow0001

darkshadow0001 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't mind seeing a show with the Enterprise-J in it from Enterprise. That ship looked pretty cool, even in the timeline it was in seemed pretty neat.

6. Chris McCarver

Chris McCarver Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm thinking either reboot TNG (much as I love the original cast, they've moved on for the most part and I'm fine reading about the Prime 24th century in the novels) or do a "next generation" Trek show set in a future time period with an all-new cast of characters.

7. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

New cast if the reboot is live action, bring the old gang back if its animated.

8. Trek4Ever

Trek4Ever Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would like to see the old cast come back for one last hurrah, it would be more of an event film like TMP was to see the old cast reunited and give them the chance to go out on a better note than NEM.

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think the best we could hope for would be a "kick-the-can" type story that we saw in The Twilight Zone. Some type of threat and Q rejuvenates the crew to combat it. The original actors would play the characters at the beginning, then the roles would be taken over by younger actors.

10. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Funny thing about TNG is that while I'm totally open to rebooting TOS, I can't help but feel the original TNG cast have still got at least one more movie in them. Nemesis was a lousy way to go out and I kinda hope somebody might give them the grand finale they truly deserve. So chalk me up as one of those who would prefer the old geezers to come back for a farewell tour. :)

11. BillJ

I just don't know what you can do with these characters now that the actors are in their sixties and seventies. Star Trek is sci-fi action/adventure. I just don't know where you get the action/adventure elements with these particular actors unless you go the animated route.

Then there's the bigger question: does anyone outside the hardcore fanbase really want to see these characters again?

12. Lance

I must admit, I wasn't speaking objectively when I wrote that. :)

On a purely sentimental level I'd like to think those actors have still got a solid rapport and could easily carry a TV Movie (ie, something that doesn't have the 'action movie' expectations associated with a theater movie). But more objectively I totally agree with you that there would be big problems if the idea was to do something which is anything like they were trying to do ten years ago in FC, INS and NEM. It already stretched credibility back then for Picard to be an action hero, so it'd certainly stretch credibility now.

But a character piece... like the TNG television series could sometimes do so well... that is a proposition I could definitely get behind. Whether it would be a profitable venture is yet another matter. Young audiences today might be able to dig TNG in a 'retro television' kind of way on Netflix, but could they support a reunion of all the old guys in a dedicated "here they all are back for one last tour of duty" way? Maybe. Maybe not. Hard to say what TNG's modern market cache really is without testing the water with something.

13. BillJ

My biggest problem: Data is dead. As much as I love TNG, it just isn't the same without him. The post-Nemesis books just haven't clicked without the character.

14. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    B4 is Data, now.

15. BillJ

No, he's a copy of Data running on lesser technology.

16. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If it absolutely has to be either a NG reboot or original cast comeback then I choose reboot.

Original actors would just be an unnecessary drain on the budget/want too much say in their characters roles. Dump 'em.

17. Belz...

Irrelevant. He's the closest thing to it. Did you read the countdown comic ? Seemed pretty close to me.

18. Lance

The idea of Data "taking over" B4 is just creepy. It was in 2002 and it would still be now.

IMO it would be much better to show how B4 has simply taken on board some of Data's memories, but has grown and developed as an individual himself as a result of the process, having in the subsequent time become just as unique from Data and Data was from Lore. Rather than B4 being treated as if he's simply Data Mark II.

19. Belz...

Fiction is reluctant to take risks. Spock brought back. 1701-A identical to predecessor. Same thing for the Defiant. Data copied onto B4, etc.

But then, look at comic books, too. Especially DC. No character is EVER permanently dead, and they keep adding new ones, leading to a mess that's difficult to get into for new readers.

20. BillJ

Pocket went an entirely different route in bringing back Data in the Cold Equations trilogy from David Mack.