Star Trek Phoenix Rises From the Ashes

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Captain Randy Hall, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Captain Randy Hall

Captain Randy Hall Commodore Commodore

Hey, all you fans of independent Trek productions: The debut episode of Star Trek: Phoenix, entitled "Cloak and Dagger," will become available online this Sunday, May 2. :bolian:

STP is a live-action series set 42 years after Nemesis, and from what I've seen of it, it looks to be a spectacular production. It's being made by a group from the Seattle, Washington, area, and "Cloak" is a 30-minute voyage with the likelihood of an hour-long follow-up sometime soon. :vulcan:

For more information, go to their Website at http://www.stphoenix.com/. :techman:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  2. shadow

shadow Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

3. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I'm looking forward to this one.

4. Captain Randy Hall

5. Zeppster

Zeppster Commodore Commodore

Here's my review, I'll try not to get to specific or spoil much but I really liked it. This has to be among the top debuts for any of the fan films outside of the Exeter debut. But really solid and compelling. I think the McCoy/Spock angle with the Romulan/Doctor thing going. You can see that directly from TOS. The acting seemed pretty solid, the secondary characters seem to have interesting the potential stories. I'm not sure I like the captain yet, but it's only one episode. Of the fan films this has a lot of potential on being among the best. You can see that there was a lot of dedication and it was really well made.

6. Freman

Freman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

How do I watch this?

Edit: Never mind. I found the link. :)

7. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I'm downloading the higher Rez version now. I will review it after I watch it again.

8. Zeppster

Zeppster Commodore Commodore

Here's a longer view with more thoughts after watching it several times. Some are probably the same as some of the other thoughts I've already posted.

Much like Exeter could have been a show 40 years ago that would have been a great spin off from TOS. Star Trek Phoenix could have been a great spinoff for the next Star Trek. I know the Canon Trek has gone back in time for their Star Trek. And that didn't really work too well for Enterprise. It did work well for the movie but both are pretty flawed.

Going to the future is what Star Trek was all about. Even though the writing quality in the TNG crews went down hill. That doesn't mean going back in time will change that.

The thing I liked about this show is that it seems like a lot of the characters already have history. Some of it we don't know yet. Like the scene with the navigator and Capt. Avari. They seem to have a history on something it's just that we don't know what it's about yet. But there were other moments you can pick on right away. It seems like this show is trying to take the Kirk, Spock, McCoy type relationship with Avari, Alden, and T'von. They had Alden and T'Von making similar McCoy/Spock remarks against each other. Alden is really written a lot like McCoy in some ways even though they aren't the same.

I love the new transporter effect. I love how it's quicker and more subtle. Sort of like the warp effect in the new Trek film that I am a fan of. I'm not as big a fan of the phasers, they seemed more like Star Wars type to me. I really liked the entrance of the villain in this episode.

The one big complaint is that this was an episode mostly based on Avari and Alden. I'm not really sure I'm as interested in those 2 as I am some of the other characters. Which can actually be a good thing. I liked having different and new aliens we've never seen. and I hope they can go into those characters more. Solora being the best of those, but some of the other characters just aren't really developed or we don't really have any information on them yet.

Overall I think this could grow to be one of the best Trek films. There's some things not quite right, but the production of this is really high quality. I could really see this being on TV today. I cannot wait to see more episodes.

9. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I really enjoyed that- very well made.

The diplomatic storyline doesn't seem interesting at all, but the actors were all great and the production values were top notch. Also, it's nice to see someone attempting a modern take on Star Trek.

I'll echo the person who called this one of the strongest fan film debuts. Good stuff.

10. Freman

Freman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can't believe more ppl haven't commented in here. This fanfilm was AWESOME!!!!

11. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

People rarely comment. I have a comment section at Star Trek Reviewed (see http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/95.html ) which is there to invite people to help out their fellow Fan Film Fans by leaving their own reviews (nothing makes me specially qualified). I've gotten exactly one on this production.

12. Captain Randy Hall

Maybe they're following the old adage that "no news is good news." :vulcan:

13. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I commented on the STP site last night. I've watched the thing twice & loved it. Loved the Alden/T'Von back & forth - I actually think Alden is funny as hell, James Lyle is fun to watch. I also liked the back stories, Avari with Adm. McKenzie as well as with Alden.

I don't trust that Trill councilor or that General he was talking to. I can't wait for the conclusion of the episode.

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

You know, in some ways its better than Phase II! I can see everyone trying very hard..acting is slightly better..though not great. I love the uniforms and of course, love the time period. :techman:

Some highs..the transporter room...kind of neat..its different....shows imagination. The use of music is better than Phase II! Some of the FX shots, while not exactly pro quality, are very convincing.

Lows? Well the story could have been a little more...coherent. The Romulan towards the end is chewing scenery worse than Shatner!

15. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

got some press

Everything Magazine video with some behind the scenes set building footage and actors on set:

Seattle fans create their own Star Trek
    http://blog.seattlepi.com/thebigblog/archives/205099.asp

If the behind the scenes footage you can see a RED One digital 4K camera that this fan film was shot on.

16. dru

dru Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I only just found this production seeing this thread. I'll want to watch it again. Kudos for the quality level. I greatly enjoyed the 'break' with past Trek with many new species and technology. I look forward to the next chapter.

17. ares93

ares93 Commodore Commodore

i never liked fan made series but i must admit this one has potential. i cant wait until the next episode.

18. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Is most of the audio ADR looped?

Maybe its the data compression codec playing over the web but the audio seems a little off sync and too much on-mic.

19. imgoinmad

imgoinmad Cadet Newbie

The audio on the streaming version is off a tad bit caused by the encoding process, I believe the ipod version also suffers from similar audio-sync issues. The 360p and 720p versions both should be just fine.

Star Trek: Phoenix was ADR'd, the entire audio was completely replaced, there is no original production sound which was used in this project.

20. fleetcaptain

fleetcaptain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Interesting start to this new series so far. Loved how the Phoenix had been in battle already, even through we didn't get to see it. Even liked the mixing of the various races in the crew as well so far. Can't wait for the second part to come out.