Rolling Stone Magazine makes a case for TNG to return to TV

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by VOODOOXI, Sep 10, 2013.

1. VOODOOXI

VOODOOXI Commander Red Shirt

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Bring back Frakes and Company? I'm sorry, that's just a one-way ticket to disaster. TV has changed mightily since TNG's run.

3. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

No. Wishful thinking aside, it won't fly.

4. Kenbushway

Kenbushway Captain Captain

TNG was a more peaceful star trek show than the original tv series. I think it was successful partly because it took on a more peaceful stance during the cold war era, it tied into the people's feeling of not wanting conflict. Would that fit in today? Yes and no.. I don't think that the TNG would be entirely successful because while many want peace it goes back to the audiences of tv and movies wanting more shoot first and ask questions later; the exact opposite of what the TNG series brought. I also don't think anyone could beat or even match Patrick Stewart or any of the original crew to be honest.

5. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

This premise could be tweaked into something workable, IMO. My first thoughts would be new captain and central characters - maybe a couple of leftovers from TNG crew (first thought - Geordi). I like Picard as admiral. However, I'd prefer the idea of a more adult, serialized take in a similar vein to DS9. Yes, the Enterprise can boldly go, but have it set against a bigger story.

6. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree.:klingon:

7. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't mind a post Nemesis set series at all. You could have the old TNG/DS9/VOY crews make the occasional cameos, but frankly they're really all too old to carry a series by themselves. That was true ten years ago in Nemesis.

That said, Rolling Stone's reader base these days is fairly negligible, so their "call" probably won't even reach the CBS exec's desk.

8. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Give Michael Dorn his Captain Worf show. Set it 20 years after Nemesis. Make the ship a long range tactical explorer; a ship with fierce teeth meant to push the boundaries of exploration while at the same time protecting the UFP from threats before they get to close. Get one person from DS9 and one from Voyager. Maybe Tim Russ as Tuvok at Tactical, Aron Eisenberg as Nog in Engineering. Or hell, maybe Naomi Wildman all grown up and in Starfleet. She grew up nicely. Ahem. Give Worf a new character female XO, and fill out the ranks with other new people/young people. Have frequent cameos from other Trek alumni as their characters. Admiral Janeway. Ambassador Picard. Captain Riker and Cmdr. Troi of the Titan. Professor Rej Barclay at the Academy. Captain La Forge of the Challenger. The Doctor. Captain Kira at DS9. So on and so forth.

You can't just toss most of the TNG cast back into their suits and go. I don't think Spiner would do it, I know Stewart wouldn't do it but once and a while to be with his friends. Frakes isn't young enough to carry the center chair. Hollywood BS won't allow you to have two female leads in their 50s like Marina and Gates. Not sure Levar Burton would go back unless you suggested Captain La Forge show, lol.

Dorn wants back in. Tim Russ has been doing fan stuff, so he wants back in. A fair number of the alumni want back in, and will be easy to sign up. Take them, do what you can, fill out the rest with new young eye-candy to draw the kids in. There are only a handful of alumni who don't want such; Shatner, Stewart, Nimoy, Spiner, Beltran. McNeill and Dawson are both behind the scenes now. Siddig and Meaney are doing well career wise. Other than those... you've got your pick.

Basically, it's following the "Dallas" route. Only with a much bigger ensemble to trot in and out now and then, and 3 shows to spin-off rather than one, while keeping TNG at it's core by having Worf as Captain.

9. BillJ

Oh God, no!

That just sounds plain terrible.

10. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

I posted this in the other thread about this in the TNG forum.

I would love a new Trek show set after Nemesis.

Get some young stud to play a "cowboy in the captain's chair" like a Captain Mac Calhoun type of character. Lot's of super hot ladies. With a generous amount of guest appearances by the TNG crew and it would be a winner for me. :techman:

11. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

12. Viper78

Viper78 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I would go for a Titan series set around the time just after Nemesis. Dealing with the power struggle on Romulas with cameo appearances from the TNG cast.

13. R. Star

Hard for there to be power struggles on Romulus when it blows up. ;)

14. jaz'a

jaz'a Vice Admiral Admiral

Would never happen. Mulgrew has no interest in Janeway on TV again. She's also too old to carry the captains chair.

And as much as I love voyager, it was never successful enough to carry the Star Trek brand forward on TV.

We need something completely new.

15. Beyerstein

Beyerstein Captain Captain

People forget how popular TNG was. At its peak, it was going toe-to-toe with the most watched tv shows of its time

16. R. Star

As much as I hate to say it... yes... people have forgotten. Most are enthralled with the latest reality tv shows these days that cost a fraction to produce and get bigger ratings than anything science fiction ever did.

17. Viper78

Viper78 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

WTF :eek:

18. BillJ

Very start of the 2009 film. Prime Romulus is destroyed by the Hobus supernova. Well, we don't see it explode until half way through but its destruction is what sets the events of the movie in motion.

19. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Putting aside Rolling Stone's idea of TNG returning, I think the Romulans are a very tenacious people and the Empire will eventually rename another planet as Romulus or perhaps New Romulus. It could be a question of what happens in the interim, IMO.

20. Kenbushway

Kenbushway Captain Captain

But the problem arises that Jonathan Franks and Marina Sirtis would have to be the main characters if it happened just after Nemesis.