Giant Trek movie poster bewilders me!

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Phire, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Phire

Phire Ensign Newbie

I have owned a Star Trek Generations movie poster for almost 2 decades and have YET to get any real information on it. This isn't your run of the mill paper poster, printed a billion times etc etc. Let me give some detail to it. The poster was printed in 1994/'95 and is around 3ftW X 7ftL on vinyl with 3 metal eyelets at the top. The poster shows most of the main cast and has a side note that says 'On Video Cassette.' I've been to a few Trek Forums and all people could say was that they have never seen it before or they would like it in their collection. Any help, information, or support would be wonderful. Let me make this crystal clear, I know what the poster was used for, it's obvious 'On videocassette' statement points me to that matter. What I would like to know is rarity, value, and buyer interest. [​IMG] [edit; the poster was literally so large I had to take two pictures otherwise I wouldn't have been able to fit it into my camera's view. ]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kirk looks like a basset hound in that pic.

3. Phire

Phire Ensign Newbie

It's too true!

4. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Given the size and material it sounds like it was made for retailers to put up outside their stores.

5. susanmary428

susanmary428 Ensign Red Shirt

Absolutely agree. Perhaps at a video rental place?

6. Alrik

Alrik Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^

That's kind of what I'm thinking.

7. Phire

Phire Ensign Newbie

MacLeod, susanmary428, and Alrik; As much as I appreciated your given input, I already happen to know what the poster was used for, which I never asked. (I won it over a radio contest, in which they said it was one for movie rental places.) What I would REALLY like to know is rarity, value, and buyer interest. Thanks.

8. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

It's not rare, and not worth much. I had two, and sold one for less than $20 bucks, and gave the other one to a convention to auction for charity, and even there, it didn't bring $25.

It wasn't the typical paper poster, it was thick plastic, very sturdy.

You can try offering it on eBay, but you'd probably have better luck waiting til the next movie is released, when there may be more interest in Trek.

9. Admiral Bear

Admiral Bear Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Would be worth more if it was signed by everyone on there. McDowell is a tougher one to get, but the others are fairly easy. Clearly not cheap to pay for those signatures at Creation etc, and the poster may still not be worth what it cost to get signed.

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Funny, I don't remember that being in the original post at roughly 730 and it shows you edited about an hour ago.

You're actually not allowed to sell your stuff here.

11. NebulaClassGuy

NebulaClassGuy Lieutenant Commander

Very nice poster... you should take it with you to conventions and have the actors sign it for you, and then proudly display it on your wall, framed or unframed.

12. Phire

Phire Ensign Newbie

I edited my post simply so that people would understand what I am looking for; information. As well I am definitely NOT trying to sell it on here or anywhere else. If I was in fact doing so I would have stated such. But thanks kindly for your assumptions.

13. Phire

Phire Ensign Newbie

This is exactly what I wanted to know! Thanks so much! You have made my choice to not sell it so much smoother. I do plan to get it autographed at the next convention I attend. That or I may opt for a more rare poster to be signed. Thanks again. : )