Voyager's amazing shuttlebay

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by brian577, Jan 30, 2012.

1. brian577

brian577 Captain Captain

I was watching the episode Alice and I'm having a hard time suspending disbelief. At the beginning of the episode Janeway states they have a full complement of shuttles which for an intrepid class would be 4. That would mean that in addition to those they would have Neelix's ship PLUS the Delta Flyer PLUS Alice for a total of 7 ships! When did they pick up the 31st century space bending technology from Enterprise's Future Tense?

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

They use time lord technology onboard federation ships.

3. JB2005

JB2005 Commodore Commodore

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

4. Sandoval

Sandoval Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Try harder.
    Says who?
    Anyway, lets say there's a hanger deck below the main shuttlebay to store more ships.

5. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Packing in two dozen of those van-sized shuttles would be no problem as such. Building new ones shouldn't be difficult, either.

The real problem is a bit bigger. Size does matter:

http://voy.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/7x03/drive112.jpg

The above is what they were able to have in there, in addition to all the usual shuttles and Neelix' ship.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:Baxial,_Homestead.jpg

This presents problems with

1) sheer parking space (the volume in the above picture is already greater than would actually fit inside the ship)
    2) moving the things around (assuming not all volumes have the above TARDIS quality to them)
    3) getting the things through the doorway (none of these bigger-than-shuttle craft should be able to fit through the aft doors)

The Delta Flyer seems to shrink in order to fit through the aft door. Perhaps that's how all of these big craft clear all the three hurdles?

Timo Saloniemi

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well it could always be that other bit of tech, plot tech, which can reconfigure the ship to serve the need of the plot.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Delta Flyer's magic too. When we first see it, the rear of the cockpit leads to outside the ship. Then, later, it leads to a rear compartment that doesn't fit. THEN, in "Collective", we see that there's a freaking Jefferies tube leading out from the side of that rear compartment!:rommie:

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Voyager may come with 4 shuttles, but that's not to say that it can't come wit more shuttle berths. there are missions that may require a larger mission specific number of shuttles, and during rescue/relief operations and there are hundreds of escape pods and dozens of shuttle crafts running from an exploding star ship, well it just makes sense that a ship sent to rescue such flotsam would need somewhere comfortable to put all that extra hardware and those survivors.

I mean it's not like Thunderbird two always has Thunder Bird Four in it's belly?

9. Timo

It's not all that bad. At a certain, fairly realistic size, all the sets would fit inside the spaceframe. It's just that this realistic size would be a couple of meters too wide and tall to clear the shuttlebay door...

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/delta-size.htm

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/delta/delta-flyer-floorplan.gif

The tube in the starboard wall of the aft compartment need not actually go anywhere; all we see in "Good Shepherd" is that the tube extends from the wall - but it might telescope rather than simply slide out. As for the crawlways, those can go into the space beneath the middle alcoves - much like the runabout "Jeffries tube" from "Blaze of Glory" could run along the amidship corridors but overhead or underfloor.

The lack of any sort of an entry/exit door in the aft compartment is my main gripe with this design...

Timo Saloniemi

10. Sandoval

Timo posts a lot of forbidden and blocked links. I would have expected better.

Sando Sandovellius

11. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While a bit of a tight squeeze, I think the Delta flyer could fit through the shuttlebay doors without scratching the paintwork.
    As for that other ship in "Drive" however, it would have to fly out sideways!

Or are there hatchways on the underbelly of Voyager that would allow a "drop-ship" sort of agress?

12. Timo

Cut and paste, my darling maggot brain you, cut and paste. That's the way them interwebs work.

Timo Saloniemi

13. Sandoval

Nah. More effort than it's worth.

Sando Sandovellius.

Use the signature option rather than type it each time, my darling little maggot brain you, the signature option. That's the way them interweb forums work...

14. Timo

Why? It's not as if you would do it, either, retard dear.

Timo Saloniemi

15. Sandoval

Careful dear, you're becoming emotional and calling me naughty words.

Sando Sandovellius

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Get a room, you two.

17. Timo

Oh, that's just standard politeness, o lovely turd. I'm even being extra polite and applying the standard of politeness of your own very choosing. Don't worry, trolly one, it's absolutely no trouble at all...

Do you have a name, by the way?

Timo Saloniemi

18. Sandoval

You paying?

19. Sandoval

You sound like you've been drinking.
    Yes I do.

20. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

Both of you can knock off the trolling of each other. Thanks.