Next movie, let the woman wear pants.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Dusty Ayres, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Tara

Tara Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Actually, there were laods of women in trousers, as well as in the minidress uniform with long sleeves instead of cap sleeves. They were mostly background performers, but there's even one female officer on the Enterprise bridge in a red Ops tunic and trousers.

I say Uhura had to wear the minidress in the first film because of the iconic image of Nichelle in her uniform on the series. but in the next film, it would make more sense for her to have trousers on a Landing party. But clearly there were several uniform options for female Starfleet officers and crewmen, cos you see them all the way through the film, in every department aboard Enterprise.

2. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

How about just to the knees?

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Hot pants!!!! They are still pants, right?

4. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

And a loooooooooooooooooooooooong jacket.

5. Rusty0918

Rusty0918 Commander Red Shirt

Well, I'm still sticking with my compromise here: get another female senior crewmember on board (lieutenant commander or higher), maybe get Anna Torv ("Fringe's" Olivia) to portray her; put her in the head of security, and have her wear trousers with her uniform. Uhura can still keep her miniskirted uniform, and so can some of the background women.

6. The Castellan

The Castellan Commodore Commodore

Naw, being the gym rat I am, I like well muscled arms. :cool:

7. GhostFaceSaint

GhostFaceSaint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

On the north pole in GhostFaceSaint's workshop.
    I am OK with the sleeveless look on some uniforms since there are some ladies who where pants and sleeves, its cool to have a variation in the uniforms, its sexy too;)!

8. Wynterhawk

Wynterhawk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I always thought that it would be cold on the ship for those who were wearing the minis and the cap sleeves. Unless it was super warm. Well... Uhura can always lounge in Spock's quarters when she wants it hot. :devil:

9. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The women can wear pants if they go topless.

This seems an altogether equitable arrangement.

10. Rusty0918

Rusty0918 Commander Red Shirt

Well, the fact that quite a few women were wearing trousers in the background on the Enterprise did alleviate the pandering and sexist concerns about the movie, in that I won't come down as hard on it.

11. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

Let's just make the women wear burlap sacks.

12. Tara

Wow. That's special.

I mean, you are aware of the incredibly poor taste of such a remark--especially in a fandom that's easily over 50% female?

Tell me, would you make the same kind of joke about women currently serving in the armed forces?

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Wow. Do you realize how much you just overreacted to what was obviously a joke?

14. Tara

Like I said, it's a joke in incredibly poor taste. Doesn't feel like an over-reaction. Just feels like a pretty appropriately sized reaction. As for the OP's intent--tone doesn't really come across so much on the internet. So sticking with my gut here.

15. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I thought Kegg's joke was funny. Sorry.

16. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thank you, thank you. I thought long and hard about:

1. What would be the most ridiculous thing I could say,
    2. Which hadn't already been said,

A difficult task!

Which armed forces?

17. Char Aznable

Char Aznable Lieutenant Commander

You know, you're absolutely right. The female Starfleet uniform wouldn't be complete without the official issue Starfleet thong! :techman: :lol:

18. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Not helping. Knock it off.

19. GhostFaceSaint

GhostFaceSaint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

On the north pole in GhostFaceSaint's workshop.
    Wow! Anyway, I feel that this thread is really a non issue since it has been stated many times already by many people, including myself, that some women were indeed wearing pants. As far as Uhura wearing the short skirt/sleevless number I feel its OK for a woman with power to be sexy, why do they have to be just like a man in every way, an empowered woman should still be a woman. Zoe at first didn't like the outfit but then she grew to really enjoy it as she enjoyed the importance of the role she had in the film. I am glad she was wearing a skirt because that was Uhura's choice of wear in TOS and most of the films. Its OK to be sexy and respectable, we are more sophisticated than the average women belittling pop culture norm that I see right now everywhere, this is Star Trek where women are equals and empowered, but don't take away their femininity that's unhealthy too.

20. The Castellan

The Castellan Commodore Commodore

I outta have that on every bill board in the midwest here. :bolian: