The Typhon Pact

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Elemental, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

^I...seriously doubt Bacco's that...abrasive....

She's got a lot of guts and strength of will, but she's pretty reserved, too.

(BTW, I don't consider the ad I linked to to be "fear-culling" or "warmongering". The entire point of the ad was, "We don't KNOW much about this bear...whether it's hostile or not...so doesn't it make sense to be prepared for all scenarios...just in case?")

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  2. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know if this has come up yet, but the Typhon Pact and the Federation's response (and the fearful position of some of its members) might factor in quite well to the plot of the recent film. It might help make Nero's blaming Spock and the Federation for Romulus' loss carry more weight, or give Nero's people more of a reason to be suspicious.

I can easily imagine Nero's crew thinking: "The Romulan Star Empire was dependent on Federation aid, until it joined the Typhon Pact and reclaimed superpower status. The Federation saw this as a threat. A handful of years later, when Romulus was at risk, the Federation, which borders the RSE, was...oops, bit too slow to help evacuate Romulus, terribly sorry. What a shame the RSE is again falling apart and our rival power just lost a major member world. If only we'd gotten there in time..."

Of course, we'll have to see what happened in the mean time first, but as it stands now...:) Just a thought.

3. rahullak

rahullak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    I would also imagine that at some point before the Hobus nova event, the RSE splits from the Pact. That would make Nero want to blame the Federation even more: "We were no longer with the rival power anymore....They didn't have reason to delay and had every reason to prevent Romulus' destruction by any means possible and yet they didn't. They must pay for their hypocrisy and wickedness."

Just my angle on it. :)

4. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

^BTW, in the Countdown comic:

Spock notes the many reforms made in the RSE--how Romulan society became more tolerant to his cause.

Maybe Donatra had something to do with this? Perhaps after a unification of her own....

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  5. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We're in 2382 now, and the Typhon Pact will still be a young power in 2387, so how would it fare with the loss of one of its major members?

Though I have serious doubts that a single supernova could "endanger the entire galaxy" as the Hobus supernova has been postulated to do, unless it was such a super-huge star that the shockwave made sure that every star in its path also went supernova, causing an A/BQ wide ripple effect.

With all that said and done, I am looking forward to what happens in the Prime universe when we reach 2387 and see this come to pass. I would also like to see how the events of Countdown are set up in the primelitverse.

6. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't know the exact relationship of the Pact members before they held hands & came together. The common thread between them is a dislike for the Federation & the Klingons. I can imagine the Romulans leaving the group over something with the Breen, since they were on opposite sides during the Dominion War.

Like BrotherBenny said we're in 2382 now so it could take a while till we get to the events of Countdown. It has taken almost seven years to get from Nemesis to the current time in the novels (longer for DS9 to catch up) so I could be a bit of a wait.

7. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i wish we could just ignore that fucking supernova.

fucking stupid thing. stupidest science BS since the warp 10 lizards.

8. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Without been sarcastic, too many months too late, now.

9. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ummm. You do remember that Bacco was elected on a pro-peace, pro-diplomacy, anti-belligerence, let's-not-run-around-telling-everyone-that-we're-ready-to-go-to-war-with-them platform, right?

That's the sort of campaign ad that Arafel Pagro would run, not Nan Bacco.

And I'm sure that that's what Bacco, indeed, any Federation President would do... behind closed doors.

To drag that out in the public sphere does not actually increase Federation security, though. Foreign states would be observing that kind of campaign rhetoric, and it would register with them. They would take it as a message of hostility and belligerence. To make the, "Let's get ready to kick everyone's ass just in case" notion a central part of your political platform is to, in essence, declare to the galaxy that you are untrustworthy, suspicious of others, and unwilling to trust others, and are therefore an unreliable potential ally.

Reagan is just lucky that Gorbachev was the guy who came to power in the Soviet Union in '85, leading to the liberalization policies that weakened Soviet unity and promoted the previously-suppressed nationalist sentiments that brought down the USSR. God knows what would have happened if a less liberal, more hot-headed asshat had taken the Kremlin.

10. captcalhoun

global thermonuclear war.

would you like to play?

11. rahullak

Donatra might have been friendly to the UFP, but I'm not sure she is in favor of unification with the Vulcans. Sure, she might make a bid for Romulan unification and at least try to make herself Praetor of a United Romulan Empire (URE?).

12. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I doubt Donatra would be in favor of unification with Vulcan, but presumably the "unification" the other poster was referring to was a reunification of the Romulan nation.

If Donatra were to take power over all Romulans, though, she wouldn't downgrade herself to Praetor; she would keep herself as Empress. No one willingly goes from being a Monarch to being a mere head of government.

13. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

IHMO, the 2387 supernova happened in a parallel timeline. This will remain my opinion until I am dragged off to CBS/Paramount Re-education Camp.

14. Deranged Nasat

Am I not alone in mourning Romulus, then? :)

15. Thor Damar

Thor Damar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thor Damar, God of thunder and monologue..
    ^ No you are not. Just like I mourned for Cardassia Prime, I weep for the people of the Star Empire.

16. Deranged Nasat

Ah well, as I've said before, I trust the Trek lit authors a lot, and I have confidence they will give us an interesting plot and successfully integrate Hobus and Romulus' destruction into the ongoing story. They might well be able to redeem the Romulus-blows-up plot in my eyes :).

17. TheAlmanac

TheAlmanac Writer Captain

Wouldn't you prefer a nice game of chess?

18. rahullak

Not willingly, no. Perhaps as a result of a compromise with whoever is in control of the RSE.

19. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

:techman: :lol:

20. captcalhoun

i don't mourn Romulus. i mourn stupid-ass science.