HEROES 3x06 "Dying of the Light" Discuss and Grade

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Oct 20, 2008.

?

Grade the episode

1. Excellent

39.2%
  2. Above Average

39.2%
  3. Average

15.2%
  4. Below Average

5.1%
  5. Poor

1.3%
  1. ialfan

ialfan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I actually liked West myself. I must be in a small minority.

2. zenophite

zenophite Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

yeah funny how they don't even deal with the lack of west - anyway I don;t miss the character.

3. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Why do they have to deal with him? He and Clare broke up. He wants to remain anonymous. He's dealt with

4. zenophite

i wasn't aware that they had broken up within the story. that's what i meant by dealing with him - not follow his character.

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

What pissed me off about West was that he got ALL the flying scenes in season 2 while Nathan didn't do anything with his powers. Really annoyed me.

Also Claire likes a boy that can fly? Talk about daddy issues! Creepy....

6. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

The writers do seem clueless about Pasdar's charisma. They're too in love with Clare, Peter, and Hiro. If they need a 20ish blond presence on the show, Elle more than fits the bill. Let Clare go to college. Noah cotinuing to work for the company can be their price for leaving Claire alone.....as she attends college overseas.

7. IJD GAF

IJD GAF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have kinda a dumb question from a show that shows no consistency with how powers work, but I ask it anyway.

We're to assume aging is just like any other physical affliction, which healers like Claire and Adam can just shrug off.

Stealing Adam's power causes the effects of aging to finally show on him.

Wouldn't stealing Peter's power cause the effects of his head-impaling to finally catch up with him? Why wouldn't he die just like Adam did?

It was a cool death scene, but logically I think it'd make more sense for Adam to have just not been able withstand new injuries and age normally, rather than have the effects of his healing suddenly undone.

My wording here is off but I think what I'm saying makes sense.

8. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Unless Adam really wasn't immortal and his power just kept him vertical. Sort of like if you have plastic surgery to look 20 years younger, you're still 20 years older than that.

Then again, you're giving more thought to it than the writers are. :)

9. label

label Vice Admiral Admiral

Are you really expecting this show to make sense this year?? As much as I'm enjoying this season so far, it's a convoluted train wreck of a story where half the things in it don't make the least bit of sense.

At this point I've just switched off the "how things make sense" part of my brain and enjoy the show like 98% of the sheep that live in this country and just accept whatever I see on-screen.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

^That's pretty much what I'm doing. All "Heroes" is to me is that thing that follows "Chuck."

Also, label, I feel like I haven't seen you around in a while. Have you been gone, or have just not been paying attention?

11. label

label Vice Admiral Admiral

I have been around, though I just mostly lurk in the Hero's threads. I follow people's comments like yours, Temis, and alot of the people I've been following for some time.

I'll also lurk/post in the Lost threads when they spin back up in Jan/Feb of next year.

(BTW, nice to know someone still remembers me. ;) )

12. Mallet

Mallet Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree, but the writers still have an out if they want one. Since we do not yet know the full extent of Arthur's powers we don't know what he can and can't do with them.

Maybe he steals people's "life force" and can control what he takes. Meaning... He took Adam's powers and all his "life force" causing him to wither away and die but he only "stole" enough of Peter's "life force" to take away his powers not drain him totally.

Or...

Adam was kept alive by his power and it was so "infused" with his DNA that it was always on and when Arthur took the power Adam aged rapidly and died. Peter was only mimicking Adam's power with his own power so it wasn't "infused" with his DNA so when he lost the power nothing else happened to him.

Not great explanations, but good enough for a super hero show.

13. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I missed that somehow. In any case, Season 2 spent quite a deal of energy and time on characters that we'll never see again or see again for no longer than it takes to wrap their story up as quickly as possible. Which is fine. There's nothing wrong with course correction when your ship is heading toward the rocks, but it does confirm how misguided Season 2 actually was.

14. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been assuming that Adam and Claire's regenerative powers work differently, in line with the "multiple paths to the same end" philosophy of having three power-vampires (Arthur, Peter, Sylar), three will-controllers (Eden, Matt, the Puppetmaster) etc who do generally the same thing in different ways. So maybe Claire has a permanent-cure power but Adam only had a temporary-cure, but once that conferred anti-aging, which I don't know that Claire has. Peter should have had both, and when he inevitably gets his sponging power back, he'll get the Claire-style power the next time he encounters her.

They're not clueless about the need to get his shirt off. :rommie:

They need to set Nathan up better as a leader of the metahumans. He's obviously got it in him, and he will be the good-guy leader. Sylar will take over from Daddy as the bad-guy leader.

Random thought: does Arthur realize he has a third son? If Gabriel and Peter were twins, could Angela have hidden the fact that she gave birth to two boys, and sent one away to try to keep him out of Arthur's clutches? That might be a good explanation for him being adopted out to just any old person. She wanted him to have no connection to the Company.

Occupational hazard around here.

Even the stuff that does make sense is convoluted to the point where it can be annoying, eg, the entire rationale for Sylar and why he is doing anything at any given time. You gotta enjoy this show for the plot twists and the characters so that you're having too much fun watching to start coming up with complaints until after the episode is over.

15. zenophite

i think we're going off track with the idea of taking the "life force" or any of that sort of thing - i would say that the implication is that once his healing factor was taken then he reverted to his real age. I think the premise does not make sense personally - it should have simply have had his body revert to a normal aging/healing state.
    Now we also don't know how many other powers Arthur has taken so it could be that he intentionally killed Adam with a different power altogether - i would find this a far more acceptable alternative.

doing it the way they did was more for storytelling reasons than anything logical i.e.

1) by killing Adam we are shown the passing of the torch - Adam may have been a dangerous badass but Arthur is an even bigger evil badass.

2)it becomes obvious that Arthur is also a power collector

this is actually a rather interesting development because it could imply a genetic predisposition to types of powers. Note:

1) Arthur can take your power away permanently
    2) Peter can take you power in a benign way
    3) Sylar can take your power by looking at your brain

4)nathan doesn't count because he's a DNA tweak

of course that's assuming sylar is related to Arthur - that may not be the case.

All of this now makes me wonder exactly what all the backstory is for the older folks. Linderman was a disciple of Adam, who is perceived as evil in season 1 and 2 respectively. Where does arthur, who seems even more evil, fit into this dynamic? was he opposed to the two? where do the other old timers like nakamura and the elderly black fellow from season 1 fit in?

16. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Too bad they brought back Maya as a main character this season. Outside of being eye candy she has no purpose on the show anymore.:shifty:

17. zenophite

Rather bitter candy IMO ;)
    I suspect the writers realized how uninteresting she was and expect her to be webbed up for quite some time.

18. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I cant imagine how at this point, anyone could be watching this show for anything other than the lols...

but Sylar is a Good Boy now. :\

I wonder if we'll ever see Sylar's adoptive father?

19. zenophite

Probably an agent like Noah?

20. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

We don't have 100% confirmation that Peter or Nathan are related to Arthur, etiher. Or Angela for that matter. We're just taking characters' word for it. They could backtrack on any of this at any time. The only reason they wouldn't is that it wouldn't serve a story purpose.

She exists so that Mo can kill her sort of accidentally on purpose and snap the hell out of his lizard-spider-human fly nonsense. I just with they'd get on with it already.

That won't last. He'll get huuungry again. :p Also he's still a massive egomaniac. Nathan and Peter are also egotistical in their own ways, but Sylar is in a whole other league. Learning that his parents are important is feeding his ego (and probably contributes a lot to his seeming "goodness") but his ego is going to drive him to bigger things, following in the footsteps of his erstwhile future self from 5YG.