Hitchhiker's Guide Movie

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by acappellasaurus, Sep 29, 2008.

1. acappellasaurus

acappellasaurus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Has there ever been any talk about more movies in the Hitchhiker's Guide saga, as launched a few years back?

2. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The movie didn't do that well in the states so I doubt it. Can't the UK make their own versions?

3. Thespeckledkiwi

Thespeckledkiwi Vice Admiral

It was a fun movie but I don't think that they'll make a sequel. I don't think it generated a TON of interest here in America and people weren't clamoring for a sequel.

4. acappellasaurus

acappellasaurus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

S'too bad...I rather enjoyed it. So there's been another modern remake by the Brits?

5. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Sadly it won't happen.

Source

6. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Other than Alan Rickman as the voice of Marvin, Bill Nighy as Slartibartfast, Stephen Fry as the Book, and the visuals of constructing Earth, I really didn't like the movie. I'll take the BBC series over the movie any day.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  7. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

No.

8. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Doesn't anyone make a movie anymore just to make a movie?

9. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

In this case there IS more story to tell, since Adams wrote a few more books which could be adapted.
    It's been a decade since I read them, but I remember laughing tears when I did.

And I really want to see Arthur trying to hit the earth falling and missing it so he can fly. :guffaw:

10. MyCylon

MyCylon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I quite liked the movie myself. It don't think it's a great movie, and it doesn't hold a candle to the books, but I find myself coming back to it then and again because it's a lot of fun, really.

I thought they had a great cast, most notably Alan Rickman, Mos Def, Stephen Fry, John Malkovich, and Bill Nighy. I also liked the fact that the Vogon's weren't computer animated. I think that was a very fitting choice and worked like a charm.

I'd liked to have seen more, especially since I think "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe" and "Life, the Universe and Everything" are fantastic. The last two in the series (especially "So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish") don't quite live up to that though they have their moments.
    In any case, there's lots more material to work with.

11. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry, but that movie sucked, and most of the writing that was not taken from Douglas's work was just sloppy and stupid. As someone before stated, besides Slartibartfast, the planet-building scene, and Arthur's returning "home," it paled in comparison to the miniseries. Mos Def was completely miscast as Ford Prefect (or at least he couldn't hold a candle to David Dixon), the new story about the emotion gun was completely unnecessary, and the focus of the whole film seemed to be about Trillian's men issues instead of the theme of Arthur Dent being taken from his usual everyday existence and thrown into this crazy new universe that he can barely comprehend. Plus, the whole movie was rushed to the point where the various small gags that made HHGTTG unique were just glossed over, or worse, removed completely and replaced by dumb sight gags like shovels hitting people's faces.

12. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To me there seemed to be some things that didn't quite translate on this side of the pond. Still, I did like Alan Richman as the robot and Bones' lil sis was great.

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I loved the movie, it was very nostalgic, though of course there were some unfortunate additions (I usually flash to Arthur at the ending professing his love for Trillian to the mice, ugh). It's a real shame there won't be any more, as the 2nd and 3rd books would make for excellent movies and only the 2nd one was partially adapted into live action before.

14. Faldor

Faldor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That was not a hitchhikers movie, it was appauling. I've vomited better movies than this. hell theres vomit I've enjoyed starring at for two hours better then that movie.

15. Caleuche

Caleuche Commander Red Shirt

It was Douglas's works! He wrote the screenplay!
    I loved it from the Dolphin song to Zooey Deshanels Trillian to Helen Mirrens Deep Thought to the rebuilding of the Earth. It thought it fun, weird and lively! The only things I didn't like was Mos Def as Ford, Sam Rockwell as Zaphod and the design of the Heart of Gold.
    I see however I'm in the minority view on this!:lol:
    How can people hate a movie that has both John Malkovich and Stephen Fry in it?:wtf:

16. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Because Sam Rockwell was beyond obnoxious as Zaphod?

That's a major reason why I don't like the movie (among many others).

17. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

The movie was a snnnoozzefest from beginning too end, it seemed to lack the charm and wonder of the Tv show.

18. Captain Pike

Captain Pike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Awful movie, best forgotten about.

Aside from the miscasting and the systematic de-jokeing of the script, what really annoyed the Dickins out of me was the schmalzy love story between Arthur and Trillian which was shoe-horned into the piece.

As any fan knows Arthur is destined to meet his real love-interest in the fourth book. I guess they were never really planning to go there (to So Long.. I mean) in the first place.

For this fan, that movie took "disappointment" to new and previously unseen levels of despair.

19. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mindboggingly useless as this film could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as the final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God."

20. Caleuche

Caleuche Commander Red Shirt

See this just made me dislike Sam Rockwells acting (and to a lesser degree, the casting director), but not the movie itself. Out of interest who would have been a good Zaphod? Its a hard part to cast.