Dominion Verse Borg?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Crazyewok, May 30, 2013.

1. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Vice Admiral Admiral

No doubt this has been coverd but anyway...

Now its stands to reason that the Borg and Dominion will encounter one anther. And the the Borg are the ultimate evil solids (hell maybe even one of the group of solids that the founder once encounterd) and no doubt the Borg would view the dominion as a threat plus containing lots of nice tecnology and will want to take it out. So who would win?

My thinking is it would end up in a stalemate with trillions dead on both sides. Yes the Borg can adapt but the dominion can just throw out disposible troops and ships also chances are only the Vorta can be assimilated......

2. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

I think the Borg would just assimilate the Great Link and call it a day.

3. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    How would they assimilate puddles of goo ?

In fact, the parallel is interesting. In many respects, the Founders are a collective consciousness, too.

4. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

I think this is a war the Founders would have to fight themselves.

All they'd have to do really is impersonate a drone, get onto a cube heading for Borg Central and start messing up the Borg's home.

But like any vs arguments, the winner is the series/character/ship/alien/element you prefer the most.

5. Crazyewok

The borg have to find there homeworld first.

Any dominion ship with anyone with knowlage of it world self destruct as soom as the first drone beams on board. Even a whiff that the cords have fallen into borg hands and the founders will just relocate. Of course they would set a trap up on there old homeworld.

6. Third Nacelle

I don't see how they couldn't assimilate Changelings, though they might have to prevent them from changing shape during the assimilation process. It'd probably be as simple as assimilate one and send him back to the GL.

7. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In Lesser Evil, the Borg tried to assimilate a "young changeling" with not much skill and she just crushed the nanoprobes into powder.

8. Crazyewok

I doubt they would ever put that to the test. They would see the threat and keep a million ships and a thousand light years between them and the nearest cube. By the time the borg meet there first changleling im guessing the entire dominion would have already gone down in flames.

9. Belz...

Again: how do you assimilate a liquid ? The borg's nanoprobes seem designed for humanoids only or at least mainly.

10. Crazyewok

If i was section 31 i would transmit the cords of the domimion to the borg and the borg to the dominion and sit back watch the crap storm knowing that both those powers will likely spend the next century or two knocking the crap out of each other and be too busy to bother with the federation.

11. Third Nacelle

Humans are mostly liquid and they assimilate us just fine. There's a lot more to Changelings than just "goo." When a Changeling is in the shape of a solid, he is, for the most part, a solid. If you could incapacitate one, I would guess it could easily be assimilated.

But we're not likely to find out any time soon, at least not in canon.

12. Belz...

Point taken.

13. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Changelings can manipulate themselves at the cellular level... Bashir said as much when he wanted Odo's cup of goo so he could find out how to generate synthetic organs... so what's there for the nanoprobes to assimilate that they can't undo by simply changing shape?

14. Third Nacelle

Use a quantum statis field during the assimilation process.

15. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

If the Borg have to hold the changelings in a humanoid form to assimilate them, then why bother assimilating them? Just focus on the Jem'Hadar for drones instead.

16. Crazyewok

Im guessing they would only get a handfull as the jem hadar would think nothing of suicide as soon as the assimilation tubs enter them, even the few not quick enough would mostly likely be shoot by nearby jem hadar.

I could see the jemhadar going into battle with explosives strapped to them.

17. Third Nacelle

The Changelings have a lot of distinctiveness to add to the collective. The Jem'Hadar might make good drones, but that's about it.

18. Belz...

Now I want to see that war.

19. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

I believe the conventional thinking on this matter is that Changelings could shapeshift fast enough to avoid assimilation. However, if a quantum stasis field were used to hold a Changeling in one form long enough to assimilate them, it might work. But would the QSF have to be held on them indefinitely, or just temporarily? Indefinitely would kill the Changeling, defeating the point of assimilating them.

And Jem'Hadar drones would eliminate the need for maturation chambers. A Jem'Hadar grows to adult size in three days. They already have built in defenses that drones lack, like the shroud, and are more durable than most humanoids.

20. Edit_XYZ

Edit_XYZ Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If the changelings were merely puddles of goo, they would not be able to think, control their actions, etc - just as the coffee in your cup is not capable of such feats.
    The fact that they can means there is very sophisticated semi-organic machinery at work. Which can be assimilated - seeing how the borg nanoprobes can assimilate machinery and biology (as we have seen).