Star Wars: The Old Republic anticipation thread.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Chaos Descending, Jun 10, 2011.

1. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

Really, there are only two questions to ask yourself:

Did you like KOTOR? If no, skip this game.

Do you want to play KOTOR with other people? If yes, try it out.

It's really not any more complicated than that. It's KOTOR with WoW mixed in and more focus on questing than end-game content. The end-game thing will probably improve over the next couple of years as new patches and expansions come out, but I can see a lot of people burning through a few of their favourite classes and then get bored of levelling and questing and dungeons.

2. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Though I have to give it to TOR on character hair options.

Yeah that is kind of cool, and it gives me a reason to equip low end gear real quick.

It's worked good on my 2 year old lap top, though its been a little lagy but I thin that may have more to do with my internet connection and the server population.

3. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

I had a lot of fun with the BH. The story was fun and I was crafting a cool little character. I like how the class played too. Since my friends are rolling Republic, that means I am going to go as a trooper, which I hear has a pretty good story as well.

4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I hope there are more options for creating your character, it all seems a little slim for an MMO. I played all the characters over the 4 days apart from the Imperial Agent and I really don't know which I want to be on Day 1 :eek:...

My Guild is going Empire to start with so am leaning between Bounty Hunter and Sith Inquisitor.

5. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

For anyone who tested over this past weekend, if you haven't already uninstalled, keep your installation! The beta client from the Thanksgiving weekend test will patch to the retail version for both Early Access and official launch. If you have an installation from a previous testing period, however, you should uninstall. That should be nice and convenient for anyone who purchased a digital copy of the game.

6. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

:techman: Also for people like me who ordered retail but will download for the early access.

7. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Here is my beta toon Carryn after her first major step toward the dark side, notice the glowing eyes.
    Technically unnecessary, since she is greedy and murderous all without the dark side of the force :evil:
    [​IMG]

8. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

Any info so far on how many days/weeks of free play we get with a purchase of the game? And what the subscription fee might be after that?

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

1st month free. $14.95 there after.

10. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I got an e-mail yesterday with a few other people I know informing us know that we are being let back into the beta testing from friday evening till sunday or Monday, not sure yet.

£8.99 per month for UK players

You can order 3 months or 6 months outright and get a little discount.

11. sojourner

Yeah, darthhater.com has said this is the final beta weekend and will have fewer participants than last weekend.

12. sojourner

And the Beta program is officially over. 11 days till early access!

13. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbsFqat3XEA[/yt]

Alright, that's pretty funny. Interesting to see what look like black lightstaffs.

14. sojourner

Double bladed light sabers.

Squadron 1020 front and center!

15. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

How is the story?

16. PsychoPere

Which one? Each class has its own class story, so there are eight stories taking place across the different planets, with shared side quests.

The only one I got into in any depth during the two weekends that I tested was the Bounty Hunter class story. It starts off simple enough with your character vying for entry into the Great Hunt, which is basically a competition for glory originally organized by the Mandalorian clans. Naturally events become more personal, and you can start treating the Hunt as either purely for your personal glory or as a means by which to gain revenge for an act perpetrated fairly early in your story.

Most of the side quests that I undertook were well-done in story terms, offering the BioWare hallmark of different choices and outcomes that you'd expect.

17. sojourner

And for the most part, they all seem awesome!

18. PsychoPere

The development team has posted a more detailed explanation regarding beta clients versus launch client:
    See the link for more information, including how to determine if you have the launch version if you're not sure which version you have.

19. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

for UK guys, mate of mine rang up GAME and they told him they plan to ship the game early due to early access so they should reach people by the 15th.

20. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

So I deleted my beta client for nothing, and now have to waste another 14 hours installing the launch client.

Great. :(