Farscape - anything I need to know?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by backstept, Feb 17, 2009.

1. The Borg Queen

The Borg Queen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ben Browder's moron of a character ruined the series for me.

And almost every episode is about him him him regardless of if he's even relevant to the story.

Farscape is like "The John Crichton Show" with supporting extras rather than being about the whole group of them.

2. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now that's a sitcom I'd actually watch.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Um...it's because he's the main character.

That said, every single character had excellent story arcs and was just as complex as Crichton. Just because you didn't like him as a character doesn't negate that fact.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

S1 was pretty bad at first but the final five were great. S2's first half was half great half crap but the back half was classic. S3 was consistently amazing. S4's first half was a little rough but the back half was classic. PKW was a good ending.

5. Plain Simple

Plain Simple Commodore Commodore

^The episodes can vary a lot in quality. I watched the pilot and wasn't too impressed. A year later I tuned in again, only to see "Taking the Stone", which would've been the end of my Farscape days, if not stumbling across "Die Me Dichotomy" later that year. That episode drew me in completely and the show didn't let me go from that point onwards.

6. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    It wasn't just the needles in the eye stuff. I also couldn't fathom why everyone, even Zhaan, was being so cruel to Pilot.

7. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

It struck me that way initially, too - the human always saved the day, seemed to know better than everyone else etc. The more I watched, though, the more that impression diminished. Every character had a story and every character's story was addressed. Clearly you see it differently and that's fine. As I said earlier Farscape, like every show but perhaps slightly more than most, isn't for everyone.

It didn't appeal to me, either (to say the least), but they were desperate people who more than anything wanted to get home. That degree of desperation to make something happen can lead people to do things they otherwise wouldn't consider. It doesn't excuse their behaviour but it does explain it, at least in part.

We saw how far they were capable of going. These are not nice, fluffy people. They are flawed and dark and they screw up badly. We also saw their contrition. They did wrong and they owned up to it. I like that in people - even fictional ones. :bolian:

8. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Really? I never saw it that way. In fact to me it was the opposite - most of the time everyone else ignored the stupid hooman and considered him beneath their notice. At least in the beginning, until he was able to prove himself to them.

9. The Borg Queen

Even when they split the cast in half and two separate story arcs, they contrived a way to have "The John Crichton Show" not lose it's ME ME ME main character for either storyline.

And this country hick astronaut from some backwater planet pretending to be a Peacekeeper commander superior to the REAL Peacekeeper soldier in a few episodes? :rolleyes: Lame.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Got it. You don't like it.

But if that's true, why did you make it all the way to Season 3?

11. The Borg Queen

Because I like Zhaan, and Chiana, and Sikozu. :D

12. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

So, a character who departs by early season three, a character who isn't introduced until the end of season one, and a character who isn't introduced until the beginning of the final season?

13. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Chricton even saved the day in the pilot ep. so no he was saving the day from day one.

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yeah, I am wondering the same thing.

15. The Borg Queen

What? I love both Kes and Seven of Nine from Voyager, too. What's your point?

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

But did other characters make you hate Voyager the way Crichton seems to have made you hate Farscape?

17. The Borg Queen

Oh I don't hate Farscape, just Ben Browder's character.

18. species5618

species5618 Commodore Commodore

So far I really like the Crichton character--wow, you must have hated season 3, what with the whole...

two John Crichtons for over half of season 3 thing...

I'm just starting season 4 and it looks like I'm on track to watch the entire series plus the Peacekeeper Wars in little more than a month, by far the fastest I've ever gone through a series (taking into account the 88 episode total versus other series).

I think I like this show quite a bit.

19. The Borg Queen

I did. It felt so incredibly contrived, almost as if Ben Browder had a hissy Diva fit and stomped his feet until they let him be the star all over again.

20. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Almost as if Crichton was the central character, contractually obligated to be in every episode, as well as being the audience POV character who narrates the opening titles in every episode outside of the premiere.