What were they thinking? AVENGERS style TREK

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Xavier_Storma, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Are you on drugs?

2. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

He likes Saw.

Oh. It was a rhetorical question.

3. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

You are forgetting one thing: nuTrek is not TOS!

I've been a fan of TOS since the mid-seventies. And I have been a fan of TNG era Trek ever since it premiered. I just think that rehashing TOS is kind of pointless, although I can live with the "alternate timeline" explanation. But I will never care for nuKirk or nuSpock the way I did for the original characters.

If Abrams and his gang had made a movie set post Nemesis, with a new crew, it would have been just as successful. Or do you seriously believe that the general theater audience cares about the names of the characters they see on the screen? Most of them have probably halfway forgotten what the movie was all about before they have even left the cinema!

On the other hand, I'm glad they didn't set the new movie into the TNG era ... who knows how they would have screwed that up! At least in the alternate timeline, they can do almost anything they want without messing up established continuity.

I'm looking forward to STID nevertheless ... I hope the movie will be as good as the trailers promise.

4. CorporalClegg

I hope you're joking.

5. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

If you believe that the general audience cares about any generic spy character just as much as they care about James Bond, if you believe that slapping a Nike label on a pair of shoes changes nothing, in other words, if you think that brand recognition does not exist, I think I should be the first to say you this: welcome to the 21st century, time traveller from the past!

6. Oso Blanco

The brand would be still there, no matter what time period. It would still be called Star Trek! The last movie was a huge success because it was a big action movie aimed at the younger audience, not because it had Kirk and Spock in it.

7. CorporalClegg

FTFY

8. The Mirrorball Man

Do I have to spell out everything? Kirk is a brand, Spock is a brand, the Enterprise is a brand. Captain Whatshisname of the USS starship Random is not a brand.

9. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All rubbish.

10. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, they only saved a system.

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

If the generic Star Trek universe setting alone were enough, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise would have all been massive successes. But it was steadily diminishing returns until ENT's cancellation in '05.

Kirk, Spock and the Enterprise have name value. They're part of pop culture. A modern take on their adventures is a much greater lure than another crew in the familiar setting.

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

If you go to a restaurant called "McDonald's" yet they don't have a Quarter Pounder, Big Mac or Chicken McNuggets on the menu... would you consider it a McDonald's?

13. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Same thing #abramstrek

14. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

Even that one cool kid in primary school randomly name dropped "The Next Generation" when telling how uncool Star Trek is.

There's also visual brands like Captain, Jan-luc-pic-ard ofthe u-s-s, enter-prise

15. The Mirrorball Man

Actually we don't have Quarter Pounders here, because of the metric system.

16. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Royale with cheese?

In that case, Nero apparently intended to destroy various Federation worlds. Soran was trying to get back to the Nexus.

17. anh165

anh165 Commander Red Shirt

It is not fatigue, you can clearly gather from any episode of DS9/VOY/ENT, there is just that missing X-factor about the whole affair that is needed to really work on the big screen.

The casting, the characters, the attitude is all too uncharismatic and insipid for an exciting big screen movie.

While hardcore trekkies ignore all this and gets excited about the application of ablative armour or the latest technobabble phaser upgrade Voyager gets to defeat the borg of the week, the intelligent paying customer who invests 2-3 hours of their time to watch a film will not want it wasted on such TV filler.

18. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

DS9 was not and never was a huge success, unless you restrict your attention to the first airing of the pilot episode.

19. Oso Blanco

Isn't that the case with most series'? Ratings always go down, the longer a series is on the air. And when Enterprise ended, TNG Trek had been on air for 18 years straight. There was no way to hold up the ratings for that long.

20. The Mirrorball Man

Interestingly, no one on the planet has ever called it "Royale with cheese". We call it "Cheeseburger royal". Close enough.

And yeah. Star Trek.