Dredd - Grade, Review, Discuss, Spoilers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Ethros, Sep 8, 2012.

?

How would you rate Dredd?

1. Excellent

50.0%
  2. Good

38.8%
  3. Average

5.0%
  4. A bit poor

3.8%
  5. Awful

2.5%
  1. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Definitely be buying the Bluray on release day. Can't wait to watch it again.

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Finally saw this on blu-ray, and damn, that was a pretty kickass movie. I don't know much of anything about Judge Dredd, but the execution was so damn good it didn't really matter. The direction and score were fantastic, and with all the brutal violence and exploding heads it almost had the feel of another Robocop.

The only small complaint I have is that Dredd didn't do anything in this but... shoot people. Maybe it wouldn't have stood out as much before, but after already watching The Raid, with all it's amazing and elaborate fight scenes, I couldn't help but notice it now (hell, even Robo punched a couple people now and then!)

Shame the movie bombed at the box office and probably won't get a sequel now (although to be fair the trailers DID make it look pretty shitty and generic).

3. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I re-watched this yesterday and I realise there is an small bit of this film that bugs me - when Back-up arrives and they simply accept on face value that the blast doors are stuck and just stand around. Other than that, really enjoyed this.

4. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

It's released here tomorrow, will definitely be picking it up

5. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For me, the blu ray version is in the post:)

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've bought the blu-ray, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet since I still have Christmas DVDs and blu-rays to plow through.

BTW, has anyone checked out IDW's new Judge Dredd comic series yet? It seems to be set in its own continuity, related but not connected to the original comic continuity and completed unconnected to the continuity of either movie. So far, two issues have been released with a third coming in a few weeks. Issue 1 isn't really anything particularly remarkable, but issue 2 is pretty damn cool which leaves me looking forward to issue 3.

I admit, those particular Judges were pretty useless, but I had no problems with it since not everyone is particularly competant at their job.

7. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I also have the BR copy, but like you not watched it yet for the same reason. Christmas and my own Black Friday watching. Not to mention I'm also watching Stargate SG-1 inter-spliced in these new discs for the first time.

I also have the first two issues from IDW and would agree with your assessment. I'm not well versed outside the 90's crossover with Batman so I'm just taking it as it is since I don't have the original continuity run to compare with.

Looking forward though to watching my copy!! I really enjoyed it in the theater.

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

And so it begins?

Maybe ;)

I hopefully should have my DVD copy through the post soon.

PS, those two guys who hang around outside are officially the worst Judges ever!

9. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The only bit that bugs me is the "Wait" bit. If they had left it at that without the follow up line it would have been genuis.

10. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Hmmm - dare we hope that DVD/Bluray sales & rental will be good enough to greenlight a sequel?

11. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    Doesn't hurt to wish for that.

I was hoping to read an actual number of just how many units/dollars were moved to place it at #1. Perhaps some commentary on if that figure was better, worse or on par with expectations and/or other similar type films. The best it gave us was that Lionsgate typically does well with releases this time of year and leads. Some comparison might've been nice in order to gauge if wishing for this to help bolster a sequel was likely.

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah it would be interesting to know. I heard the other day about another film that had done dismally at the box office yet got a sequel because it did so well on the home market. Wish I could remember what it was (It was a terrible film as I recall!)

13. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Hot Tub Time Machine? No idea how that did at the box office but I did read yesterday it has been given a sequel

14. therealsb63

therealsb63 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I was pretty surprised to see "Dredd" on the shelves at Target and Wal-Mart already...I don't think the film was even shown in my area. I had intended to see it in the theatre.

:confused:

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

That's the one! Thank you!! That would have bugged me for ages! :bolian:

16. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I suppose there is precedent, DVD sales of Firefly is basically the reason Serenity got made. Still, I'll be very surprised if Dredd does get a sequel. Of course, this is one time I wouldn't mind being surprised.

17. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

The first Austin Powers movie did poorly in theatres, but was a hit on video. That's why they did the first sequel (that being a hit being the reason they did another one). So, yeah, there's precedent.

I'm actually considering passing on the German release in favor of a UK or US DVD, because that's where it really counts to the studio.

18. Captain April

Captain April Commander Red Shirt

If initial blu/dvd sales are any indication Dredd should be given a sequel. And well deserved as well. It was a fantastic film.

19. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I hope Dredd's DVD/BD sales are enough to get a sequel, but I'd be content with a TV spinoff in some form (even an animated one).

20. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The first movie didn't perform as well as either of its sequels, but it still made $67 million worldwide against a $16.5 million budget. Dredd, on the other hand, only made $32.7 million, against a budget of $50 million.

At the box office, domestic (North American) grosses are less and less important to the studios. No idea if that also applies to home video, but I'd wager it was the case.

Still haven't seen this movie, but I might if/when it comes to Netflix instant.