STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Nothing particularly notable. In fact, I'd say about half of the soundtrack is reused from the previous film, at least the stuff that stands out.

2. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

There was a beautiful piano theme in the beginning.

3. section9

section9 Commander Red Shirt

You know that somehow they're going to bring back NuKhan for the next film. Cumberbatch sold too many tickets for them.

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

You can bet all your vital organs that they planned on using Khan in Part 2 and Part 3 ever since they made Trek 2009.

5. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I really enjoyed it again, I can't wait for the soundtrack.

:rofl:

Spock just asks Spock Prime (who is on "New Vulcan") about a man named "Khan" and Spock Prime refers to him as their greatest enemy and by his full name.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Absolutely. And he will want revenge on James Kirk.

They will face his wrath! :lol:

You know, by doing the reactor room/"Kh-a-a-a-n" thing this time out they've pretty much eliminated speculation for the next couple of years about whether they'll use it in the second Khan movie. Clever. ;)

7. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

God, I hope they're not done with Cumberbatch. This movie ends with a Starfleet weakened by a loss of integrity and trust at the top and an identity that's now in question; Klingons who may be pissed off; Khan still milling about; and for the icing on the cake, 72 other Napoleons still out there, too. Cue the foreboding music.

8. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Finally seen it, knew major spoilers but all in all it is a letdown. The writers need jettisoning out of the nearest airlock without a spacesuit. Direction, casting, fx, action set pieces are excellent. Actors are excellent. Characters for the most part are done well. Script? Shit. :)

9. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

My main complaint is that all the stuff we were promised by the trailers, taglines and the press release didn't happen. I expected a sitting-on-the-edge-of-my-seat-and-biting-my-nails-thriller that would bring darkness to Earth and Starfleet and may have ended on a cliffhanger. Maybe someone from the crew turning evil.

Earth will fall? Darkness is coming? Friendships will be torn apart? It certainly didn't happen in this movie!

Maybe if they hadn't build up this kind of anticipation, I wouldn't be so disappointed.

10. Chu'lak

Chu'lak Lieutenant

Well your dissapointment is deflating my expectations so maybe I will enjoy it more...

11. mredom

mredom Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well, some things in this movie will be great, others will not. Just like every movie I've ever seen. Since I've seen every movie in the theater (except Nemesis), I imagine I will see this more than once.

I can still remember the first time I saw Klingons on the big screen in 1979. Every time I see Star Trek, I'm 14 again. It's almost like time-travel... :)

I always remember that in the end, I love the idea of Star Trek. I love the characters, and I love seeing them in different situations. I can't wait for next week.

12. Aike

Aike Commander Red Shirt

A+. Great movie. I was worried about a lot of things regarding Khan, Spock Prime and other things because of some of the bad reviews. But this was excellent. Well done JJ Abrams, Damon Lindelof, Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman, Bryan Burke and the cast the crew for making such an enjoyable ride. And I hope everyone will return for the third installment.

This movie will take the US by storm next week. You guys who are pessimistic because of some of the spoilers in thread and elsewhere: take it easy this is a mindblowing movie.

13. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

That was my initial reaction to ST:09. Then I saw it again.

14. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

And? We get it you, didn't like it. You've said it over and over.

My question is, why do we, as a fanbase, have such an issue with it being Khan again? Unless I missed a huge aspect of the hardcore Batman fanbase, was there this much reaction to the Joker being in TDK, or Bane in TDNK? More so then any other fanbase, I feel like Trekkies freakout a lot when it comes to taking something previous, and doing a different interpretation of it.

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've watched Star Trek 2009 about half a dozen times. It gets better every time. :cool:

16. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

There was so much and then some backlash against the Joker. Before the film came out. But Ledger's death (or performance, or both) won almost everyone over. There was also a lot of criticism against Bane, but on a reduced level because everyone went "Hey, Nolan presented a great Joker, maybe Bane will be great as well".

17. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There was backlash against Ledger, "that dude from Brokeback Mountain", playing the Joker. Not the use of the Joker character itself.
    And there was reaction about Bane. But it wasn't a problem of reusing the character but more about what changes they did to him (no venom etc etc).

18. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

It's just that it's never been done before, in Trek. Not like this. I'd also suppose a fair chunk of those who freak out about it were among those saying "Shatner is the only Kirk" back before ST09, too. It's amazing how conservative and protective some people are about their Trek. Just enjoy it, folks. And if you don't, fine. But why prejudice yourself going in?

19. GMDreia

GMDreia Commander Red Shirt

I dunno, personally, I'm looking forward to the film - I'm seeing it on the 17th in 3D IMAX, probably taking my family to see it later on, then taking my best friend to see it.

Frankly, I'd rather see Khan himself than see a tired attempt to portray someone LIKE Khan. And instead of trying to impose the WOK storyline on another movie, we have a reinvented Khan (a la The Joker) in a new story. At least this is something new.

As for Khan being an ice cold mastermind type, I was talking my best friend recently and we were talking about how much movie tropes differ from era to era... And we agreed that if Khan had been written *now* instead of in the 60s, he'd be much more a cloak and dagger type and more morally ambiguous, because that's what the public will buy as a bad guy now.

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I don't have a problem with using Khan again. But I really wanted them to take the training wheels off and explore this version of Star Trek's universe. While I understand that the goal is to make as much money as possible, I also was wanting a "new vision" of the characters I grew up with.