U.S.S. Vengeance from Into Darkness - POTENTIAL SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by reanimatedfish, Apr 24, 2013.

1. reanimatedfish

reanimatedfish Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

2. calamity_si

calamity_si Commander Red Shirt

Re: U.S.S. Vengeance from Into Darkness

Well, I'll throw my 2 pence worth in here. Overall, I really like it. The detail, the aztec pattern and the sunken deflector dish are all great. Love the engines too and the overall 'angular' design does make me think of a stealth fighter. To critique, I'd say that this ship perhaps suffers from being a bit overdesigned both in the interior and exterior. I think it's something modern 21st century redesigns have in common. Another good example to use would be the new Transformers. Actually too many moving parts and greeblies which confuse the overall asthetic of the design. I'd also say that the ship perhaps looks a little too advanced as well for this particular time. I would have liked to have seen this in a new series perhaps and have the Dreadnought in the movie pay a bit more homage to the 3-engined Franz Joseph dreadnought. Overall, I'd give this a 7/10.

3. calamity_si

4. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

"Vengeance" is a very aggressive name for a Federation starship, sounds like it belongs more in the Mirror Universe.

5. calamity_si

It's a Section 31 ship so it's bound to be badass.

6. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

is that actually the ship from the film, or is it someone's design that people mistakenly think is the real thing? like before the last film there were a bunch of fan designs going around for the new enterprise

7. calamity_si

I'll take this one; Yes. It is 100% definately the ship from the movie. All the trek sites online are showing this as the USS Vengeance and it's hard to believe that they'd ALL (including StarTrek.com) be wrong.

8. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This IS a mirror universe.

9. Blip

Blip Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Didn't Vektor do an April Fools' "battleship 1701" wayyy back before STXI came out, which looks suspiciously similar to the Vengeance in overall appearance?

IMO, the name is just dumb. It'd work for a Romulan ship. Or Reman. Or Mirror Universe... but this just doesn't fit. Even S31 wouldn't use a name that stupid.

As to the overall design... well I mostly like the nacelles. The rest I could happily dump along with the alien ships from Battleship, nu-Transformers, and every other sloppily over-detailed, garish, cheap-looking piece of photoshop design that has emerged from Hollywood sci-fi in the past 10 years. (luckily it won't impede my enjoyment of what sounds like another fun popcorn flick).

10. Blip

Blip Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Actually, this is an alternate universe; not the Mirror Universe. ;)

You could say that's splitting hairs, but for Trek it's an important distinction (since the Mirror Universe refers to that particular reality where the characters are the reverse of their "Prime" selves).

11. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's why I said A mirror and not THE mirror ; )

This is correct.

12. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

the panel texture looks sloppy . . . isn't it the same one they used everywhere on Babylon 5 and everything else ever?

13. calamity_si

I'm glad someone else agrees that Hollywood has suffered from some really bad 'overdesigners' since 2KX. It's funny, if you look back at 90's design, it was all about looking sleek and organic. I'm thinking of varous Trek ships from this era, the Batmobiles, the Jupiter 2 and Robot designs from 'Lost in Space', Moya from Farscape and pretty much ALL the ships from Babylon 5. Moving beyond that, the trend now seems to add an INSANE amount of unnecessary clunk and detail. I think we both referenced 'Transformers' as a great example of that.

14. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

is the secondary hull and neck just serenity from firefly covered in glowing bits?

15. calamity_si

LOL! Complete with two big shiny cojones!:rommie:

16. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

I think it looks neat... much different than what I expected though.

I started at 3D model last night... I should have a WIP thread started soon. :)

-Ricky

17. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Interesting hole in the center of the saucer. And I like the gull-wing pylons (for reasons). But it's a bit too angular and too busy for me, and reminds me a bit too much of the Sovereign class, especially because of that deflector dish.

From the one trailer I saw, this thing is *much* bigger than the Enterprise. Based on the official huge numbers for Enterprise, anyone care to guess how immense this is?

I don't know if that's true or not, but could you please keep out spoilers, or at least put them in spoiler tags?

18. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I too likethe Nacelles and deflector everything else screams stealth Sovereign class to me.

19. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

nah, its growing on me, in a horrific sort of way.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  20. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

I posted this on another board, the Vengance reminds me a lot of a unused STO concept ship.

I like the look of the ship, mainly because it's so different.