Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by MrPointy, May 10, 2011.

1. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

It's in today's daily column, so it's right on the front page.

2. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Two seasons. :p

The problem with putting fan-favorites like "Best of Both Worlds" on the sampler disc is that some people will be happy with just those few issues and will never move on to buying the complete series. (Maybe they'll make up for people like me who want the whole series and won't buy a best-of? :techman:)

3. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

Now I'm dying to know which episodes.

I was pretty skeptical of this projects as originally announced (by end of year, via Netflix, etc). This latest info sounds much more plausible.

I for one will shell out for all the seasons again unless they screw it up terribly.

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

How is this a problem? If there are fans who only want to spend a little bit of money to have a few episodes, it stands to reason that they just would choose not to shell out at all for the more expensive, entire season sets.

This way, Paramount is able to earn money from casual fans who won't buy the complete series, and they're also able to earn money from die hards who are so impatient they'll double dip on the HD episodes just to have a look at them.

In response to jefferiestubes8, this doesn't look like an attempt to gauge audience interest to me -- just an attempt to cash in on some of their early work via the home video market rather than wait around for the entire series to be completed (assuming, of course, that they do the episodes out of order like they did with the original series, in order to space out visual effects heavy episodes in the production schedule).

5. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

HELL YEAH! Now what did my post say right before the Digital Bits news eh? :techman::techman:

RAMA

6. Bonzo the Fifth

Bonzo the Fifth Commander Red Shirt

It's nice to FINALLY have some official word on this... though honestly, I'm curious as to the news (also available from the same Digital Bits article) regarding BD Farscape, as it had similar issues to TNG in the remastering department... curious as to how that's going to turn out...

7. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If it's an attempt to gauge audience interest, like I believe that it is, then it's not going to be a very accurate one. They're going to have people who will get this but wouldn't get season sets, and people who will get season sets but not this. I'd hate for them to kill season sets because this is how they try to gauge interest.

But since you don't believe that, then you can ignore me. :)

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Ah, I see you're point now. If you're right about CBS's motivations, then your logic follows. I hope they're not judging audience interest based on this release, though.

9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I for one am going to buy all the episodes/seasons for the first time because it will be HD. I will also buy the "4 episode collection". If the work on it is good enough, I think the people sampling it will be motivated to buy the sets.

RAMA

10. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it's less a "gauge the audience" and more "proof of concept/teaser." They know there are going to be people who will buy TNG, and they also know there will be people who will be on the fence about it, and this will be a way for them to say, "Check it out, see what you think."

11. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's also a way to test production costs and to evaluate the end results. The same way networks commission pilots before moving forward on producing a new show.

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Stng gets a second pilot! Lol

13. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

One thing is for sure, if they have gone down the route of an 'upres' and they then release this as the blu-ray test, the backlash would be immense... hopefully they aren't that dumb..................................

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I seriously doubt this...

15. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

These differences will disappear...

[​IMG]

16. Bonzo the Fifth

Bonzo the Fifth Commander Red Shirt

I suppose the question is what kind of model design is going to replace those two shots there...

Personally, I'm OK with either design, both have their plus'... not so sure about a third design, though, but it'll depend on the look. I hope they give us some kind of preview so that we can comment and possibly influence their decision-making as far as how 'accurate' to keep things...

This is going to be a bit different from TOS-R, after all. TOS-R was done relatively quickly and relatively secretly. Most of us were caught flat-footed when they started airing the eps. For TNG-R, the stakes are higher, since more money and resources are involved by necessity, and the fandom's eye is watching this project very keenly. It seems to me that the best course of action is to involve the fandom in the process, if for no other reason than to increase the number of us who will actually BUY the sets to justify the cost and possibly allow them to give the same treatment to DS9 and Voyager (not that Voyager probably deserves it, but DS9 definitely does).

17. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Except there is no official word on the project yet, no one has seen one scene, and no one will hear anything until those first 4 episodes are done. By that point the CGI models will be done and they will be sprinting through episodes just as fast as TOS-R(if not faster).

18. Picard Alpha

Picard Alpha Commander Red Shirt

Probably will look something like this, from Drex files...

[​IMG]

19. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Not to get too excited ahead of time, but man...that would be sweet. I'll be happy to never see the four-footer ever again. It's the main reason I would be more for brand new effects shots rather than re-compositing the old ones. (The other reason being the ability to have new shots, not the same 10 shots of the Enterprise over and over.)

20. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Why wouldn't you want to see the four-foot model again? It was, if I recall correctly, the model preferred in later seasons as opposed to the six foot ship used in the initial seasons of the show... am I misremembering?