My Star Trek Fake Footage Contest Entry

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by PixelMagic, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

Nope...the original ENT was never designed to be aerodynamic. Can't fly or maneuver within an atmosphere. The saucer was always said to be separable, which is why they did it in the pilot of TNG, but even THAT only had limited maneuverability within an atmosphere (see the big-ass wreck in Generations).

2. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Commodore Commodore

Just congratulated you on TrekMovie, Daniel, but I wanted to come over here so I could personally berate you for admitting that this was a fake. Could've finally put the whole thing to bed by confusing it in rumor and lies so much that debate over "Built On Earth" would've been impossible. GG, D.B. GG.

Seriously, the quality of this is amazing.

3. Tralah

Tralah Wasting Time Until May 2009 Fleet Captain

Yay! I'm so glad you won. I really liked yours the best out of all the entries. :)

4. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

cograts Daniel you won, good job man!:bolian:

5. PowderedToastMan

PowderedToastMan Commodore Commodore

Do you really think he could have got that by Vreenak?

6. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Congrats Daniel :techman:.

In my opinion that video clip was a winner for both technical/artistic ability AND content -- It looked fantastic plus it put to bed the argument that the Big E couldn't have been constructed on the ground.

7. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

Congrats on the win!

Says who?

Generations was an emergency landing, and I'd say it was a very successful one, what with no one dying. Plus Troi was at the helm. I'm sure the saucer could do loopdy-loops in the atmosphere on a good day.

8. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Commodore Commodore

Oh, no, not a chance. Good Lord, no. But did you notice that there are still people who believe Tom Cruise is going to be in the movie?

A Daniel Broadway campaign of disinformation could have been an extraordinary success at hopelessly confusing all conversations on "built in space" topics until they had no choice but to go away and die as the ought. Obviously, no one who reads TrekMovie.com would be fooled for a minute... but the rest of the Internet? Victims waiting to happen.

9. Tralah

Tralah Wasting Time Until May 2009 Fleet Captain

Didn't we see the Enterprise maneuver in Earth's atmosphere in "Tomorrow is Yesterday"?

10. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

See the book "The Making of Star Trek" by David Gerrold. I'm pretty sure it's considered somewhat definitive on the subject. Jeffries knew what Roddenberry's limitations on f/x were and ran with the "no atmosphere" rule (short of what was shown in "Tomorrow is Yesterday", I suppose). The grey lady was never intended to be flown in an atmosphere for ANY length of time short of the accidental post-time-travel dipdown in that episode which led to the destruction of Captain Christopher's jet, and she would NEVER be capable of LANDING on a planet.

11. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Wow, this must be only the 375th time this discussion arises.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  12. MisterPL

MisterPL Commander Red Shirt

Random thoughts:

- Way cool. I wish I had your technical skills.

- Everyone knows flying saucers aren't real.

- Can you do one where they're lifting The Shatner into orbit?

Thanks for sharing and congrats!

13. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

That would take WAY more than 24 hours! :lol:

14. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

So, since not having been involved in any of those discussions, what was the general consensus?

15. Plecostomus

Plecostomus Commodore

General consensus is it can fly in the atmosphere if you want it to because it's a pretend spaceship in a fictional setting powered by make-believe physics.

OF COURSE there are always those who believe that their way is the ONLY way and that the studio should listen to them because they are the end-all expert on all things Canon and Holy regarding Star Trek, forgetting that the studio is in charge of making new new "canon" and developing the franchise not the loud-mouth fan with all the technomanuals and every fan-site on the internet bookmarked on his laptop. If the studio decides it can be built on Earth, and launch from the ground than That Is The Way It Is, because that is What They Decided. They are in charge, not us. Either accept that things are changing and change with them, or move on.

Ahem. Congrats on wining.

16. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

A 375-way tie, no doubt -- everyone was simultaneously both right and wrong in equal measure (though there are some dissenters who feel the whole thing was rigged and are looking into filing charges, just as soon as they are able to identify the appropriate authority.)

17. THE CHEBB

THE CHEBB Captain Captain

Congratulations on a well done piece!

18. CordrazineOD

CordrazineOD Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Congrats! Looks hot.

I know this isn't canonical, but in the pre-TMP novel A Flag Full of Stars (Brad Ferguson) the refit 1701 saucer section was launched from the surface under its own impulse power to meet with the secondary hull in orbit.

19. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Whoa, this thread is almost a year old. Let's hope no-one digs out my April Fool's thread from last year. :shifty:

20. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

My doing, I guess. I posted a link to this thread over here, in response to someone who had discovered the blog page about this contest entry.

April Fool's thread, hmmm... would that one begin with "I've been wondering... "?