Let's discuss all episodes of TOS

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by MikeNeko, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Commodore Commodore

Infinite Destroying in Infinite Crushing- yes, of course.

:guffaw:

2. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

Amok Time
    Journey to Babel
    Trouble w/ tribbles
    A Piece of the Action

3. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

That will make him very happy; he loves papers.

:lol:

This is news; what was the deal on that?

4. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

*delete*

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  5. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh wait... was this... was this from Lost In Space? Some kind of android that the Robinsons encountered on one of their typical dust ball planet strandings?

[​IMG]

6. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yup, that's the one. A compact Doomsday Machine, he cleans up what the big one leaves behind. :techman:

Wonder why his nameplate is a strap-on, rather than a sewn-on.

7. Hambone

Hambone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ater watching "Court-Martial" last weekend, it occurred to me that this is a pretty good episode right up until the final act. A nice, taut, "Perry Mason-vs-Starfleet Computer" story.

I'm guessing that it was Roddenberry's edict "put the ship in danger" that accounts for the forced ending. While it was important to find Finney alive and well and hiding aboard ship, the whole subplot with him sabotaging the ship (with jumper cables) and eventually fighting Kirk is unneccessary.

I won't even go into the whole thing with McCoy's microphone and the heartbeats. Dumb.

The ending could have been improved greatly by having Kirk and Spock search for Finney...he holds them hostage with a phaser and still gets to give his impassioned speech ("Officers and gentlemen! Captains all! Except for Finney...and his one mistake!")...then Sam Cogley brings in Finney's daughter at the last moment and he cracks.

But I know Roddenberry always pushed for the "ticking clock" ending.

8. Orcus

Orcus Captain Captain

I've always liked Court Martial but would be hard-pressed to choose my top favourites...

I guess The Cage and Where No Man Has Gone Before feature quite near or at the top. Also others like The City on the Edge of Forever, Obsession and All Our Yesterdays are quite strong, character-led storylines too...

9. Rackon

Rackon Commander Red Shirt

Journey To Babel is my favorite episode.

It has everything I love about TOS Trek - emphasis on character, aliens, mystery, suspense, the big E in peril, great dialogue for the big three - plus Sarek and Amanda (I love Sarek!!:vulcan:). Spock gets his family straightened out, Kirk gets to fight and play act, and Bones gets the last word. There's lots going on plot wise and the diaolgue is highly effective and true to character.

I absolutely love Sarek, and Mark Lenard's elegant portrayal of him. He's brilliant, charming, devastating, formidable and intrinsically *Vulcan* - quite the force of personality. I totally believe this man is a power broker between the worlds. Jane Wyman is nearly as wonderful as Amanda, and the two play beautifully off one and another. Amanda's confrontation with Spock when he will not step down as acting captain to save his father is one of the best scenes in all of Trek.

There are so many other episodes I enjoy, but especially these:

Amok Time
    City On The Edge Of Forever
    Balance of Terror
    The Doomsday Machine
    Shore Leave
    Tomorrow Is Yesterday
    The Enterprise Incident
    All Our Yesterdays

I was watching Court Martial a couple weeks ago and was surprised at how good it was. the power went out when I was about 2/3 of the way through, so I'll have to revisit the episode again soon.

10. Orcus

Orcus Captain Captain

I must confess a secret liking for Charlie X - but that's probably just nostalgia talking... :sigh:

11. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I love Charlie X myself. I find it very creepy and also hilarious (the lyre scene).
    How many episodes can say that?

We are currently re-watching TOS in order, and last night we had the bad luck in that next up was Catspaw. Oh dear god. What were they thinking with that one???

12. Hambone

Hambone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, they were thinking about Halloween (original airdate was 10/27/67). Not to be taken seriously. But also, just not a very good episode, except for the creepy little bug-like aliens at the end. And that big black pussy really scared me when I was a kid!

13. Yeoman Randi

^ I am not touching that one with a ten foot pole!!

OMG, i had completely forgotten about those little alien thingies. And when they were on the screen, well, all i could say is its a good thing i didnt have anything in my mouth at the time. It would have been spewed all over the television! They looked like little pipe cleaner bugs. What a freaking hoot!

14. Orcus

Orcus Captain Captain

I haven't seen Catspaw for over thirty years. I must dig it out soon to revisit and see what all the fuss is about: I can only remember that weird-looking woman dangling the Enterprise efigy over a flame...

15. Yeoman Randi

^^ You definitely need to. But don't blame me if your head explodes at the end! :)

16. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    Speaking of bad eps that one hasn't seen in awhile, the other night I watched The Omega Glory. Wow, worse than I remembered! Of course, the capper is Shatner's hambone recital of the Constitution, but the ep has lots of bad things sprinkled in, like how Capt. Tracey is older than Kirk but can still kick his ass easily a few times in the ep. The one good thing is I think it's the last TOS ep we see Sulu in charge of the ship. -- RR

17. Orcus

Orcus Captain Captain

...Just have done this afternoon. Yep, it's not one of the best ones but... it is essentially a bit of fluff. One that is mildly entertaining and basically inoffensive but a piece of fluff, none-the-less. I think Hambone is right in stating that it seems to have been made with the Halloween season in mind.

I certainly don't think it's anywhere as bad as some have made it out in the past - it's kinda groovy in a proto-Rocky Horror kind of way. One minor flaw for me, though, was the reveal showing Korob's and Sylvia's true forms at the end: something that wouldn't, perhaps, have been out of place in one of the Muppets Christmas movies...

Sylvia looks strangely off-putting in that Bride of Frankenstein hairdo - and, for her, it really works to bring out the alien-ness of her character. Sadly I can't say the same for Chekov's: if it wasn't his own hair I'd say the Shat had pretty tough competition for the worst rug award. It looks even worse next to Lt. de Salle and all the other regulation Starfleet haircuts...

18. startrekrcks

startrekrcks Fleet Captain

I loved Shore Leave with it's fantasy like story what did you think of that episode

19. ScatmanRescueMe

ScatmanRescueMe Lieutenant Commander

Omega glory is pretty good until Shatner reads the Constitution. that turned it from a sci-fi TV to just a show produced in 1968, with all the rah-rah jingoism of a nation at war. At war with komms !!!

20. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Commodore Commodore

One of my faves; loved seeing Kirk beat the, err, tar out of Finnigan.:devil:
    That was a great moment, you non-patriot!;)

Those words are obviously not meant for you then, you Yangcomb.:guffaw: