tThe Good mixed in with the not-so-much...

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

We all have episodes we don't care for. Episodes that just let us down to some degree or other. It's been said often that TOS could be bad, but never boring.

I certainly have my choices of episodes that let me down, but even in those dim moments I've usually been able to find something that I still liked...if only there could have been more of it. :lol:

At any rate why don't we take a shot at citing something we liked in episodes we were otherwise disappointed with?

“The Apple” - Yeoman Martha Landon kicking ass. Seriously the entire series could have used a bit more of the female contingent of the Enterprise crew mixing it up.
    “Spock’s Brain” - There are some genuinely dark and chilling moments in this episode, but they're mostly in the early part of the story. There is also a neat eerieness in hearing Spock's voice coming over Kirk's communicator. I also liked the discussion set on the Bridge amongst Kirk, Sulu, Uhura and Chekov. I also liked the original design of Kara's ship. The fundamental story of this episode even if it's sadly botched in overall execution.
    “And The Children Shall Lead” - The chilling moment when Kirk and Spock realize they've just beamed two security guards out to their deaths in the vacuum of space. The discussion between Kirk, Spock and McCoy in Kirk's quarters regarding the history of and recent events on Triacus.
    “Whom Gods Destroy” - The death of Marta was appropriately chilling in light of Garth's insanity.

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I was impressed with it being staged as a set behind the set, and thought it was well done. Though Garth was definitely insane to apparently kill the only woman at the facility.

I can't think of further examples at the moment though. I've not been awake long enough to separate the wheat from the chaff.

3. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

I love the group strategy meeting on the bridge in Spock's Brain with Kirk, Uhura, Sulu and Chekov. Also love that most of the scene is shot facing the main viewscreen, and that Chekov uses it for his powerpoint presentation on the Sigma Draconis system.

4. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

From Alternative Factor......

the used only once shot from behind Ent of the ship firing the phasers

.......that is all.

5. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ Yes, that is nice.

From the same episode I like Kirk and Spock's discussion in the briefing room when they theorize about an antimatter universe and they deduce there are two of Lazarus.

6. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

That shot is great. I also like Lazarus' little one man ship, it looks like something out of a 1950's B-movie, but was one fun part of an otherwise awful episode.

7. GeorgeKirk

GeorgeKirk Commodore Commodore

I love the shots in The Mark of Gideon where we're looking out a window or viewscreen on the fake Enterprise and suddenly the starfield fades and is replaced by the expressionless, green-tinted faces of the Gideonites outside. Even though they're all dressed like sperm, it's still a weird, creepy moment.

8. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed. When I was a kid, those scenes scared the living crap out of me. That's part of what I love about the third season: the creepy vibe present in many episodes.