TNG Enterprise simulation for Valve Source Engine

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by scragnog, May 7, 2012.

1. scragnog

scragnog Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hey guys!

Thought I'd show you what I've been working on for a few weeks now and see what you guys think.
    Basically the goal is to recreate the interiors of the Enterprise from TNG for Source Engine games (sandbox in Garrys Mod, zombie invasion in Left4Dead etc hehe)

I tend to have a dabble in everything, the mapping, modelling, texturing etc but my skills are pretty rudimentary in all of them, so if this project perks anyones interest, let me know as I could do with some help on this.

From the screens you'll see the general gist of how this is gonna look, but there are more then plenty of rough edges (literally) and untextured areas.

But anyway, let me know what you guys think!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. me999

me999 Ensign Newbie

Hi Scragnog,

Nice to see some next gen ship devel. I don't think anyone is using the Valve engine to do TNG at the moment.

See http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=140357 for a build by Donny (Quake 3 engine based I think). May give you some inspiration when doing the other parts of the ship.

Looking good so far.

3. scragnog

Hey!

Yeah I've seen Donnys work, very impressive! If I can get this project to even half that sort of detail I'll consider it a job well done :-D

I've seen a couple of guys attempting the same thing for the Source Engine, one project seemed to go dead about 2 years ago, but it looks like there is another project in the works at this site, again, his work is amazingly detailed, whereas I'm just fumbling along hehe :-)

4. scragnog

bit of an update, started on the Ready Room, and it's shaping up ok I think, wish I could model properly though because the BSP map format doesn't allow for much in the way of details.

Also textured up the transporter room a little more, still looks pretty basic at the mo though :-)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Looks pretty good so far. My advice is to work on the coloring of the textures a little. I'd try toning down the saturation on a few (the panel behind the transporter operator for example). The lighting of the corridors and other places seems a little too over-bright.

What source materials are you working from?

6. scragnog

Hey Donny,

yeah i completely agree, the more I look at the transporter room specifically it looks very cartoonish, really oversaturated especially on the walls, I think I'll work on that next.
    Yeah lighting is surprisingly frustrating to get right, the brightness issue might be because of a bloom effect that I enabled in the engine, I'll try dimming all the lights a little and see if that helps :-D

As far as source images go, I'm basing the proportions off any set floor plans I can get my hands on, have a floorplan for the whole of Stage 9 so that'll help when I have to tackle Engineering.
    So yeah, floor plans and any reference shots I can find, I'm finding the new TNG Blu Rays to be a great source for this! :-D

7. me999

me999 Ensign Newbie

Please don't change yours too much scragnog - I like seeing the differences between your renders and Donnys - has a different feel.

I have dabbled with modelling the TNG bridge but got really frustrated at the design varying slightly in each season - which season are you basing your models on?

8. scragnog

I spent some time yesterday trying to mute the colours in the transporter room, but it still looks rather cartoonish. Also tried some bumpmapping on the wall textures to make them a little more realistic, but I don't think it's worked too well.

Yeah the bridge was incredibly awkward, but I kinda wanted to get in at the deep end. I'm probably about 60/70% done with it, it's the little details that take the longest I find.
    As far as the main bridge goes, I'm pretty much disregarding Seasons 1 and 2 and having a look at anything from the last 5 seasons, there are minor changes each season, but from 3 onwards, there's nothing dramatic.

I started the Battle Bridge yesterday, turned out to be a lot more difficult than I expected, here's a very VERY early pic, you can barely even tell it's the battle bridge at the moment -

[​IMG]

9. scragnog

Well, i've spent the last couple of weeks looking into modelling, because while the Source Engine is great, it doesn't handle fine details very well.

Here's the hexagon corridor section, with most of the assets replaced with models -

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've made a list of things that are wrong with these models, so I'll be sorting that out asap.

Here's a very early WIP of Ten Forward.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. me999

me999 Ensign Newbie

wow, nice work scragnog, its looking really nice. I like the lighting in ten forward - though it seems a lot smaller without all the people in it :P

Corridors are looking good - nice to see geometry rather than flat textures for the walls. I like how the curves look like curves rather than triangles.

I have always imagined how amazing it would be to make the interfaces interactive - like the panels in Doom 3. Would be great if something like that was available in the source engine :drool:

11. Lord_Schtupp

Lord_Schtupp Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Nice work, a very impressive project /thumbsup