vampires

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by timothy, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

You will have to tell me what you think.

2. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

half way through vampire diaries and so loving it. favorite girl in the series is bonnie the witch chick she is so hot. ellana is cute and thank god she not like bella from the twilight saga. at least this girl is cute and likeable. steffan is to much like angel in my opinion. I like daemon for an ass hole he play's it great. and for some reason he reminds me of tom cruise.

all so vampire diaries season 2 on blu ray will be out on aug. 30 2011.
    can't wait till it gets here I am so behind on this show.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  3. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

S2 is way better than S1. :)

4. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm checking out TVD and finding it hard to maintain interest. Ian Sommerhalder is a hoot, but nothing else interests me about it. I'll browse thru S1 (I am curious about the historical stuff) and maybe delve into S2 - how is it an improvement?

5. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

More historical stuff...less teeny bopper high school crap...at some points you'd think they all dropped out. :lol:

[edit] And some interesting new characters are introduced.

6. timothy

late night on the cw this saturday Elvira's movie macabe -'the satanic rites of dracula".has any one seen this?

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Honestly, that's not one of the better Hammer DRACULA flicks. It was Christopher Lee's last time as Dracula and the series had kind of run out of steam by that point, even though they tried to update the formula by setting it in contemporary times and having motorcycles chases and things. Dracula is out to destroy the world like a James Bond villain and a modern-day descendent of Van Helsing tries to stop him . . . .

Still, it reunites Cushing and Lee for the first time since HORROR OF DRACULA so there's that . . . .

8. MLJames

MLJames Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Is that the one where Dracula is silent, because Lee thought the script was so bad he refused to speak the lines? I know it was one of the later ones, but I'm not sure which one.

9. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Its the only Hammer Dracula I do not have, and don't plan to have, in my DVD collection. I know the series declined in later years, but generally the films were still enjoyable on some level, "Scars" and "AD 1972" gave Lee more lines and it worked, some spookier moments.

But "Rites" was terrible, just plain terrible, Lee himself regretted ever being in it and had most of his dialogue cut in one way or another. The series should have ended with 'Scars of Dracula' really.

10. Greg Cox

That happened a lot, I think. He has NO dialogue at all in Prince of Darkness, and very little dialogue in many of the later films.

Honestly, I think the films made a mistake after Horror by not bothering to have Dracula pose as human anymore, which meant that Lee had fewer opportunites to act and exchange dialogue with his co-stars. He's all vampire, all the time, which means that often he's treated more like a monster than a character. Lee does his best to invest the character with some sort of personality, but he's basically a Great White Shark with a cape, who just lurks in the shadows waiting to bite people . . . .

Oh, the bibliographer in me feels obliged to point out that SATANIC RITES OF DRACULAS was also released as COUNT DRACULA AND HIS VAMPIRE BRIDE.

11. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

^Thats why Scars of Dracula was moderately better, he was again pretending to be Human and conversing with several of the other characters for a good chunk of the film. AD 72 tried, slightly, to do this again but not so much.

12. Greg Cox

I haven't seen Scars in years. I forgot about that one.

Not letting Lee do anything more than hiss and snarl at people was such a waste. He can do urbane, suave, witty, etc. Just look at the THE WICKER MAN or THE DEVIL'S BRIDE.

13. timothy

is there a list of lee's dracula movie's? and are they in any partiicular order?

14. Greg Cox

The continuity is a bit loose, but, just off the top of my head.

Horror of Dracula
    Brides of Dracula (no Lee, only Cushing)
    Dracula, Prince of Darkness
    Dracula Has Risen from the Grave
    Taste the Blood of Dracula
    Scars of Dracula
    Dracula AD. 1972
    The Satanic Rites of Dracula

One more film, The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires, is arguably part of the series, but features a different actor as Dracula. It's also known as "The Seven Brothers versus Dracula."

I'm pretty sure that's the right sequence. Brides is probably my favorite of the bunch, even though Dracula doesn't actually appear in it. (Dr. Van Helsing goes after one of Dracula's disciples--because Lee wasn't available!)

15. timothy

now are these sequals to the original dracual?

16. Greg Cox

The first film, Horror of Dracula, is an adaptation of the original novel by Bram Stoker. The rest are all sequels to Horror.

(Note: Horror of Dracula is the American title. In the UK, it was simply released as Dracula.)

17. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

The Vampire Diaries really does get good in season 2. I started watching with that season and was hooked.

I went back and watched season 1 because I am just wired that way. It was not as good. I could see the potential but season 1 would not have hooked me.

Too much teen drama and not enough beasties and history.

Season 2 drops a lot of the angst. It delves more into the history of the families. It is pretty action packed and the storyline moves along at a good clip.

It seemed like the show runners really looked at their problems and tried to fix those.

Ian S becomes really central. He was always a main character but it is like they said to themselves - "People love this guy. Let's do more of that."

Damon and Alaric are a hoot.

Elijah is just awesome.

Nina D rocks as Katherine. It is odd how she makes the characters totally seperate down to facial expressions and tone. In season one I felt like I was watching Elena in period dress. In season two she can just walk in a room and I am like oh Hell it is Katherine.

It is like the cast and writing just gels and then it is full speed ahead.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I noticed the same thing about Nina Dobrev, and I love it.

19. timothy

I am half way through s1 tvd and I am hooked can't wait till s2 of tvd in august. from my understanding s2 goes very dark shadows that's cool. I've all so set tvd on my dvr so I'll be ready for s3.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just got into TVD during the second season, and it quickly became a favorite of mine. I haven't gotten around to checking out season 1 yet though.