NuTrek references in the novels

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Noddy, Sep 30, 2013.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

No we aren't. But we don't want someone coming to the boards and thinking that someone like you represents the average Star Trek fan.

2. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

I keep going back to this: The character backstories from the new movies isn't created from vapor, it's always been there in the novels. This is just the first time writers have given enough of a damn to use it, rather than snub it.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I guess it's ironic that the one of the filmmakers is a fan of the novels and used elements from them, yet there are people who hate the idea of elements from the film making their way into the novels

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So how can you stand reading the books with all of the constant references to stuff you don't like? Pretty much every TNG book since Nemesis came out has followed up on it. Then there's Vanguard, which has a major plot line in the last few books that's a prequel to The Final Frontier.

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

On other hand, a certain Trek editor once warned me sternly not to even think of pitching a sequel to "Spock's Brain" . . . .

(She knew me too well.)

6. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Would it have been called "Spock's Brawn"?

(ducks)

7. TJ Sinclair

TJ Sinclair Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was always hoping Greg (or someone) would write "McCoy's Liver," myself...

8. Shane Houston

Shane Houston Commander Red Shirt

"BRAWN, BRAWN! WHAT IS BRAWN?" :guffaw:

9. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Just outta curiosity... what is the "average Star Trek fan"? Because I see a *lot* of diversity in fandom, here and elsewhere.

10. DonIago

I think it's safe to say the average Star Trek fan probably isn't going to adopt Timewalker's IMO somewhat radical approach to selecting reading material.

11. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Uh-huh. And I'm talking about the same movie, which I happen to hate, and addressing the point of the thread: whether or not nuTrek references are a bad thing in the novels. You think they're good, and I think they're bad - unless, of course, the novel is specifically a nuTrek novel, and in that case it makes sense to reference the nuTrek movies.

Likewise. :rolleyes: You think I want someone coming here and thinking EVERYONE thinks the nuTrek drivel is actually good?

If elements from nuTrek movies make it into nuTrek novels, I don't see a problem. It's when they make it into the other novels - which are set in a completely different universe - that's a problem.

Considering that I haven't read any of the TNG books since Nemesis, I haven't encountered these references. Yes, I'm many years behind in my novel reading, with the exception of a couple of TOS trilogies (which are still several years old). When I do get around to reading them, I'll come back here and rant about it.

I think it's safe to say that the average Star Trek fan can make up his/her own mind as to what books to read, in what order, and if they like/dislike them.

It's not "radical" to select reading material based on personal preference, btw. I used to read Isaac Asimov essay collections for fun - when I was 12. You think I choose my reading material based on peer pressure/public ridicule on a message board? :rolleyes:

12. DonIago

Read whatever you want to read, but don't get snippy at me please. I wasn't offering an opinion on your choice beyond that I don't think the average Trek fan would make the same choice.

13. Timewalker

You're the one who got "snippy" with the use of the word "radical" (like the way I choose my reading material is somehow wrong).

14. DonIago

Radical doesn't inherently mean wrong.

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The average Star Trek fan is the one who doesn't take this stuff so seriously that they want warning labels on the cover of novels warning them that the novel contains "nuTrek" references.

Maybe we should demand warning labels on all Trek novels that reference other parts of the franchise? That way I can steer clear of all TOS novels that might have a line or two referencing Enterprise.

I think the idea is ludicrous and anyone suggesting it may not have a firm grip on reality.

16. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Hi-C fruit juice approach: "This novel made with 10% real Star Trek!*"
    * "Not a significant portion of the recommend daily True Fan intact of Real Star Trek".

We're getting a prime example in this thread why Orci finally, after 4 years of bullshit like this, told online fandom what he really thought of them.

17. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

WARNING: This novel produced in an office that may contain traces of NuTrek. If you are sensitive to NuTrek or NuTrek byproducts, please consult a physician before reading this novel.

18. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Warning: There's a chance that the author of this book may have, at some point in the last 5 years, possibly, very briefly, might have, could have, seen two seconds of a thirty second TV commercial for Nu-Trek while flipping channels at 3am. If allergic to Nu-Trek please report to the nearest Real Fan support center for treatment.

19. Timewalker

Remember the days when non-fans thought average Star Trek fans were people who always ran around wearing costumes, Spock ears, and waved phasers or flashed Vulcan salutes?

No? Maybe it takes an "old woman" to remember that, and that we were not thought of as people who could have a civil conversation. I haven't seen much civil conversation in this thread lately.

Well, then maybe you should all go back to the Neutral Zone where you are apparently allowed to flame me incessantly and speculate on my RL politics, mental health, and where the moderators feel free to join in.

BTW, it was Greg Cox who suggested the warning labels. I'm not aware that he has a problem grasping reality.

And the rest of you are apparently incapable of grasping sarcasm.

20. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

And of course, non of that is actually down to you is it? It's everyone else replying to you.