World War Z officially a train wreck

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by sojourner, Nov 6, 2012.

1. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Sorry, my search foo wasn't good enough to find the old thread.

io9.com has the first footage from the movie posted.

Yep, cgi zombies that run and behave like fluid when in large numbers. This movie is toast.

2. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You can't have frozen slow zombies in a movie without getting artsy and non actiony, can you.

Does the movie even follow the book? I dont see how it would be possible as the book doesn't have a single narration other than the guy 'writing' the book.

3. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I keep pronouncing "Z" the Canadian way in my head so hearing it spoken out loud as "Zee" sounds weird to me. I think World War "Zed" sounds better.

4. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Yeah, "World War Zee" sounds weird. Zed sounds better. I guess the idea is to have a play on "World War Three" though.

5. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it's gotta rhyme with World War Three, otherwise why give it that name to begin with, instead of Zombie War or whatever.

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, I'm good with either Fast Zombies as in Remake Dawn of the Dead or slow ones as in Original Dawn of the Dead, but, the ones in the Trailer appear that they could outrun The Flash, and that's just too much, IMHO.

7. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Z and 2 being similar shapes and Z standing for Zombie makes sense.

8. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

It's less that they're fast and more that they're... organized? I guess is the word I would use. They're moving like a swarm, and even creating a ladder of sorts out of themselves near the end of the trailer.

It's pretty terrible.

9. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Bottom line is - why pay to see this in the cinema when the incomparable Walking Dead is on tv?

10. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They could still salvage this thing. Just retitle it "28 Months Later".

11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

To me, the appeal of the book over all the zombie movies to date was that it gave a retrospective overview of the whole thing, without loosing that "in the trenches" aspect that makes things like 'The Walking Dead', 'Night of the Living Dead', '28 Days Later' etc. so engaging.

This movie should have been every great zombie movie that ever was all rolled into one, but instead it looks like a seriously watered down affair in a similar vein to a Roland Emmerich disaster movie. What a shame.

On the other hand maybe the story was always too big for a 2 hour movie to do any kind of justice. Perhaps the best format would have been an anthology style mini-series, with the interviewer as the only real constant.

12. Sindatur

Step 1 on this road to hell, was dumping JMS' Script because it wasn't commercial enough (IE: Too true to the book)

13. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll wait for a real trailer before I judge.

14. Sindatur

First look, and it's over a minute long, isn't that considered a "Real Trailer" (not meant to be a smart-assed remark, I truly ask out of ignorance, if that's not considered a "Real Trailer"

15. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow, that's just.... ugh. :brickwall: I think I'll just go and reread the book instead when the movie comes out.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm just going to hazard a guess that signing Brad Pitt was what doomed this film. Am I right in thinking that his character does not appear in the novel, and there is no equivalent character who does? They probably rewrote the whole movie just to give him an excuse to be in it - if they took an existing character and cast him in it, he wouldn't have got enough screen time. Can't have Brad Pitt in the movie if he's not the star, can you? (sarcasm)

17. Sindatur

Yea, he's the producer, it's his movie, so, yea, I would imagine he tailored it to showcase himself

18. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I hope this doesn't suck. The book was great.

I completely agree. I've wanted to see something like that since I first saw Dawn of the Dead in 79-- which is exactly why I like WWZ so much.

19. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Worked just fine for the Borg.

20. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

World War Z officially a train wreck MONTHS ago. :lol: