"Intelligence" season 1 discussion & spoilers (Josh Holloway)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Aragorn, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

CAST: Josh Holloway (Lost), Marg Helgenberger (CSI), Meghan Ory (Once Upon a Time), John Billingsley (Star Trek: Enterprise), PJ Byrne (The Game) and Michael Rady (The Mentalist).

Series premiere is Tuesday, January 7 on CBS in between NCIS and Person of Interest. Then the show will move to its regular time slot on Mondays opposite Castle and The Blacklist (where Hostages used to be).

2. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Sounds like a super-powered "Chuck," but I've set the dvr to record the first one. I like Holloway, so I'll see how the first one is.

3. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Of course... the guy they put the chip in is "reckless" and doesn't like "protocol." Because that's a good idea. Insert Eyeroll here. I'm sure they'll justify it some silly way. But, that's not who you would put a chip in. You just wouldn't.

I'm passing. If you took the chip away, the characters sound like they are from the cliche book of cop characters.

4. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

I'm going to give this a shot, at least for a bunch of episodes to see how it progresses. I like most of the actors, so we'll see if they're given something good to work with. Probably going to have to DVR in addition to trying to watch it in real time. Currently have a house full of women to contend with and I'm not entirely sure if some RomCom or the like will be on....

Q2

5. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've got it set to record. CBS doesn't have a good track record with shows premiering in January and I'm still confused why Marg Helgenberger quit her job to go do something on the same network doing almost the same thing.

6. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm liking it so far.

It's great to see Josh Holloway in a role that is enough like Sawyer that he taps into that same vein. Meghan Ory is a great foil for him with the same kind of wit. I'm not sold of Marg Helgenberger as the wooden superior, but who knows if she'll grow on me.

The technology is impressive, but is not infallible as seen when he has to wait for infrared radar and is shown off by great special effects.

I'll be interested to see where it goes.

7. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

Too late. She made Rosalind Chao look good!

8. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

It got off to a very poor start with all that running around in the bush. I'm sure they wanted to hook the viewer with a lot of action but if I didn't know what this show was about, I would have turned it off. Too generic.

It got a little better though but it's not without its faults.

The Good: I like the cast. It's nice to see Josh Holloway and John Bellingsley again and they did well casting the requisite pretty girl with Meghan Ory. It was also a nice surprise to see Will Yun Lee and Rosalind Chao, who I couldn't place at first. I also like the premise. It's like John Doe except our resident know-it-all uses technology. I also like where they're going story-wise... Someone who's up to no good already put a chip in someone else so now we have a formidable enemy (and she may even be a reluctant one).

The Bad: Poor personal drama and generic cop drama.

The Verdict: The cast, the premise and the hook at the end are enough to make me want to check back but I wouldn't call this a great show.

9. jayceee

jayceee Commander Red Shirt

I felt the same way.

I'll watch the next few episodes to see how things go, before dropping or continuing on with this show.

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I thought this was a decent first episode, though I agree those first few minutes were kind of weak. I didn't realize John Billingsley was in this; it's nice to see him on screen again. I'm also glad they came up with an explanation for why Gabriel is the guy carrying this supercomputer around in his head, even though it was kind of handwavey.

I liked it enough to give it a couple more episodes, see how it develops. I don't watch anything else on Mondays at 10 PM so at least there won't be any conflicts there.

11. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's recording on my DVR right now.

Prediction: Lots of witty, snarky banter between Holloway and that younger actress every week.

12. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks, Professor Obvious, for pointing something out that's obviously going to be explained (and quite well) in the pilot.

13. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Well, according to TV by the Numbers, the pilot drew 16.49 million viewers and a 2.4/6 rating/share. Not too bad at all. I'm not sure if they'll be able to sustain those kind of numbers on Mondays at 10 PM, though.

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

15. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

^ In your opinion. I actually quite enjoyed it. On second viewing, the visuals and CGI stuff was very well done. I also like the character interplay, though the "Director" (Marge) is a bit too wooden and one dimensional. Could use more development there. I'll hang around for a while. To me, it's better than S.H.E.I.L.D., but not quite as good as Sleepy Hallow.

Q2

16. Guy Gardener

How dare you say that I have an opinion! You will bend to my will. It is awful, And you will admit that Intelligence is awful, slightly before it's cancellation after 7 awful episodes.

I have spoken.

17. Base_Delta_Zero

Base_Delta_Zero Commodore Commodore

I started zoning out on this almost immediately. Ory is hot, but at no point did I think she was an agent. Holloway was OK, I guess. I liked that he straight up murdered people without hesitation. That was cool. The climax was neat. The fight scenes were decent. The tech is interesting, but oddly employed. Seems like overkill for what he's assigned to do.

These guys would have dropped a nuke to get Bin Laden. If this guy with this tech was real, he would be in a bunker testing it, not running around without a vest getting shot at constantly by random mooks "investigating" shit. And one bodyguard not wearing a vest? Come on. You spent billions on him, but couldn't spring for a couple of competent bodyguards?

The "mystery" of Ory's background was instantly revealed and tossed aside. Why even have it? And the throwaway line about how "she killed four assassins and saved the president's kids while injured" was so fucking dumb. Don't put shit like that in expository dialogue. The opening scene should have been that event: Ory saving the kids from a hit squad. Then go to Holloway doing whatever the fuck it was he was doing wandering through the wilderness.

Holloway's double agent wife was that actress whose name I can never remember, but who keeps popping up in shows and making me not like her at all. Quite a feat, when she was only a still image here.

The "twist" was ... lame. We haven't even finished the first hour and we have a mole...really? Am I watching Alias/24/every secret agent show ever?

I'll give it a couple more chances to see if it actually does something with the premise, but my sense is this will be dead before it finishes the season.

As a plus, it was light years better than Killer Women, which was like watching a show created using a female tv cop cliche rubric. Actually shut that off twenty minutes in. Embarrassing.

18. Guy Gardener

Little Red Riding Hood? I forgot to look for her, and I doubt I would have recognized her if I did.

The secret service may be able work in several functionalities but it's primary mode is as an army surrounding the president, then as small groups surrounding relatives of the president and former presidents, and then this is the amusing it: Monitoring Counterfeit Currency.

They didn't pick this girl becuase she was Secret Service, becuase she's basically a bee without a swarm, there's more.

The worst possible story idea is that she's his wife who has been give a new face and fake memories and he knows and they're all trying to trick her into falling in love with him again.

19. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

You are welcome, Captain Snarky. And I'm sure they had an explanation. But it hardly matters because, I am bored to tears of the main character who is "reckless" and doesn't like "protocol."

20. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Megan Ory's the one who brought me to the show because I've been missing her on Once Upon a Time. I enjoyed it pretty well - nice to see John Billingsley again, I wasn't expecting that. I'll keep watching it.