More reasons why I love Wil Wheaton: Memories of the Future

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by spoonunseptium, Nov 24, 2009.

1. spoonunseptium

spoonunseptium Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If you don't know(which you should, if you're any kind of trekkie!), Wil Wheaton played Wesley Crusher on TNG. Nowadays he's written a couple of books, has an interesting blog, makes appearences at various venues/conferences and says hilarious stuff... and he is now currently working on something called Memories of the Future.

It's basically a combination of behind-the-scenes memories from Wheaton as a teenager, recalling all the really cool and interesting stuff he ran into while acting for the show. Not only does he tell you interesting stories from way-back-when, but he also does a review per episode, pointing out all the ridiculous and hilarious corny attributes of each one. So far he's done episodes 1-13 in season 1, and it's so funny because, as we all know, the first season of TNG was a cheesy (thought still entertaining and important) mess.

And, since all this commentary is coming from the reportedly most annoying character in the show, you can be sure that Wheaton delivers a hefty dose of humility in being able to make so much fun of the series that started his career as an actor, and compounded his complete nerdiness. You can be sure to enjoy plenty of interesting tidbits of the other actors and the set, and what Wheaton thought about everything at the time. It's a wholly entertaining thing he's created in doing this.

MotF has a nice fan base, so there is currently

-the book itself
    -the podcast of excerpts from the book, called Memories of the Futurecast.
    -and, last but not least, the MUG.

The mug is amazing, I love it. One side says "Tea, Earl Grey. Hot."

awesome.

I've been listening to the podcast, and I LOVE it. They're little 6 minute episodes, and they're super interesting. Wheaton has done audio versions of his books before, and I would love it if he did an audiobook for this one, just 'cause it's 100x more hilarious the way he reads stuff. funny guy. But for now there is just the book, which I hope I can get around to buying soon!

2. spoonunseptium

spoonunseptium Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

oops, WRONG FORUM!!

I meant to put this in the TNG forum, I have no idea how I posted it here!

If a mod could move it, that would be great :) sorry 'bout that

3. Mallory

Mallory Moderator In Memoriam

On its way there now...

4. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Still can't stand Wesley Crusher, but I have come to respect Wil Wheaton for his toungue-in-cheek, self-deprecating attitude.