Marvel release dates: Thor and The Avengers delayed a year

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Marvel Studios has announced that Sony has set a release date of May 6, 2011 for Spider-Man 4. Moreover, Marvel has rearranged its target release dates for Thor, Captain America, and The Avengers.

Thor was set for release on July 16, 2010. It will now target a release date of June 17, 2011. Captain America moves from May 6, 2011 to July 22, 2011 (leaving the May 6 slot to Spider-Man 4). The Avengers was set for release on July 15, 2011 and will now target the release date of May 4, 2012.

2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I'd rather see them take their time with these movies and get them right, rather than rushing them out for the sake of having them in the cinema, and do them wrong.

I saw yesterday that there are reports of Thor director Kenneth Branagh meeting with True Blood star Alexander Skaarsgard (son of Stellan). At 6'5" and looking as Scandavian as one can, he sounds like a good physical choice for the role. I've no idea how good an actor he is, but his old man is pretty talented. The other rumour is of Josh Hartnett as Loki, which I'd be less keen on. But not a bad start, Kenny darling!

3. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Vice Admiral

I say to you now, the Avengers will not happen.

4. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, I like the idea of Harnett as Loki. I think that he could surprise everyone and really pull it off.

5. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Silly to think that; they've got all the pieces in motion, and having been designing the current films with a big team-up in mind; barring a major financial setback, looks thoroughly in the cards.

I'm glad they're not rushing to a release date with these.

6. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Pushing The Avengers back to 2012 raises the possibility that Favreau could possibly direct it.

It's good that they're giving the films more time rather than rushing them, but they've now got a lot more risk concentrated in the summer of 2011 in terms of their self-financed films. Their previous plan for their self-financed slate had one surefire hit (Iron Man 2 and The Avengers respectively) and one potentially risky release (Thor and Captain America respectively) in the summers of 2010 and 2011. Now they have the two potentially risky releases together in the summer of 2011.

7. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

People have said the same thing about: Superman, Star Wars (4) X-men, Spider-man, WATCHMEN, With Every big tent-pole movie there were the NAY-SAYER'S that said 'can't be done' but they are repeatadly proven wrong! This movie''WILL'' happen it's just going to take a little longer, and I think that's a good thing!

8. TheBrew

Actually, I think that Captain America will be a sure-fire hit since it will play well with American audiences. Thor will be out-there, for sure, but I hope it is awesome in all it's Asgardian glory.

9. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Excuse me but Avengers will tank. I mean really did you see a thing about Ant-Man in that release anywhere?
    It'll all be crap without a solo Ant-Man film prior is all I'm saying. ;)

10. TheBrew

Isn't Edgar Wright doing Ant-Man? I'm sort of looking forward to that if he's like Robert Kirkman's irredeemable ant-man.

11. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, Edgar is doing Ant-Man. A double plus for me, as I'm a huge fan of Edgar's work and I always liked Ant-Man when I was a kid.

12. CaptainCanada

Questionable; there's a heavy hurdle to overcome with him to show that he's not campy (like Superman, he's associated with the super-naive, goody-two-shoes school of superheroics). Even bigger in international markets, where movies tend to make at least half their money these days.

13. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

He is...in theory.
    I like the character really but am not counting on it until they go into production. It seems to get lip service at this point and rarely makes Marvels movie update except at the year ahead summary. Its been on that list for 2 yrs running now. Skeptical am I that we will see an Ant-Man solo film prior to Avengers.

14. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

I have a theory about the script for Ant-Man...

1) The script-writers are supposed to be Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish.
    2) I listen to the radio show that Cornish co-presents.
    3) He frequently misses a show because he's "In America, working".
    4) Though his anecdotes (and also through his friend Simon Pegg's blog), we find out that he seems to be working in L.A. when in America.
    5) Edgar Wright apparently lives in L.A. now.

So....could the scripting be occurring on these trips?

15. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Wright is currently filming Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. It'll take a while for Ant-Man to come together after that.

16. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

[Grasping at straws]Multi-tasking?[/Grasping at straws]

17. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope the Spider-man 4 release date doesn't make Warners push Batman to 2012 out of it's way.

18. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

It looks likely that Warners has already decided to target summer 2012 for the next Batman film. They've set July 2011 for the release of the final Harry Potter film, and a 2012 release date for Batman would give Chris Nolan a reasonable amount of time to move on to a Batman sequel following Inception.

19. CaptainCanada

There's a lot of talk that may happen anyway.

20. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

I think it's more economics than anything else. "Thor" and "The Avengers" are both gonna cost BIG to produce properly. "Thor" because it's gonna have to have at least SOME fantasy "set pieces" in it, and that costs more to do than location or backlot shooting and "Avengers" because of the number of "star names" in the cast at that point.