Star Trek Voyager: Protectors by Kirsten Beyer, Jan 2014!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Madzilla, Jun 12, 2013.

1. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Aside from a mention in one of William Shatner's novels (Spectre?), I don't recall anywhere else mentioning that the Sovereign class was able to seperate, and from what we've seen in the movies of the deflector dish area, it looks like the section between the dish and the saucer is a solid section. Plus I haven't been able to find any mentions by the designer's of the class having saucer seperation capability.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

But that concept art was only something that John Eaves designed himself on the side. Saucer seperation was never asked for from any of the producers in order to be seen on screen, nor did it even get mentioned in any of the scripts.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Sovereign_class#Background_information

4. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe not, but the design of the ship itself and the lines between the secondary hull and the saucer certainly imply that it's possible. Simply because it wasn't seen on screen or mentioned doesn't preclude the possibility, at the very least.

5. Shane Houston

Shane Houston Commander Red Shirt

The Enterprise-E itself has separated in the novel Resistance. Worf took the drive section to retrieve Picard and defeat the new Queen while counselor T'Lana took command of the saucer to safety because it was damaged by the Borg.

6. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmmm. I forgot all about that.

7. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

8. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

The intro before the interview says "For the past ten years, author Kirsten Beyer has been the lead author on the Voyager post-series novels"...this can't be true, right? FC only came out 4 years ago. Are they counting her String Theory story? It wasn't a VOY-R story. I'm confused. I'll have to read the rest of it...

Ok. Read more. Hyperbole. As you all were.

9. Shane Houston

Shane Houston Commander Red Shirt

She did say she was bad at math. :)

10. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I think String Theory counts as a relaunch title.

I'm not sure why though...

11. ryan123450

Well the Kes storyline in String Theory was a part of The Eternal Tide as well. I think String Theory is an indispensable part of the Relaunch.

12. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

D'oh. I've fixed it :)

13. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

14. ryan123450

Great interview. Looks really likely there will be at least two follow ups to Protectors! And it was great to finally see Kirsten's picture after being a fan for years.

15. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Indeed - to be honest, she looks how I'd have liked Janeway to have been portrayed (I've never taken to Kate Mulgrew).

I think Kirsten will probably be my mental Janeway from here on...

16. ryan123450

I often cast people as characters in books, but I've never considered "recasting" someone already portrayed on screen. Interesting option.

17. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

It's not something I've ever done before, or would normally have even considered - the screen portrayals are pretty definitive !

It's just that with Janeway I've never got over my dislike. It's not only the erratic way she was written - I've overlooked that enough times with other characters. I have an aversion to Kate Mulgrew. The voice, the hairstyle(s), the condescension. Much of it may well be in my own head, but it's there for me !

I like the way Kirsten has written Janeway and that could be part of the reason that when I saw her photo my subconscious blurted out 'She looks like she could've been 'that' Janeway' !

I hope that's not in any way 'weird' to Kirsten, it's just a thought that popped up unbidden...

18. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

^ If you don't like Mulgrew, you could always read the novels as the-Voyager-that-almost-was, and imagine her as Geneviève Bujold... ;)

19. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I've seen the clips - interesting, but no.

20. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If Bujold had approached that role as she had her role in The Trotsky - obscure Canadian "coming of age"/political activism-themed movie starring Jay Baruchel as the title character - she would have been perfect.