How I Met Your Mother: Barney and... (Spoilers ahead...)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Prolly explains how the next one turned out to be the mother :lol:

2. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Simple as that Ted. Get rid of the boots and all your problems are solved.

3. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was surprised to see how much others liked this episode. I didn't care for it at all. The crazy Abby Elliott thing wore thin last episode, and the Skittles thing seems like they just shoe horned it in to give Marshall and Lilly something to do (granted, that's most episodes the past few years). The Playbook still existing killed Barney's character growth since he got together with Robin. The very beginning with Weekend at Barney's was clever but that was it. Glad the red boots are gone though.

4. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree. I'm really struggling to stick with the show until the mother makes her appearance.

5. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

The Playbook was a shitty move on the writers part. And Barney's, "I lie" speech... what sane woman would take THAT guy back? I didn't buy it.

6. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Barney having back-up playbooks is completely in character, if you ask me. I was not at all surprised he'd have one. He's Barney - he thinks 10 steps ahead all the time. Having a back-up is only one step ahead! Besides, I thought he'd end up bequeathing the playbook to Ted, or maybe even to Marvin. It was his life's work; for it to end up as confetti was anticlimactic.

7. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

I also am not surprised that Barney would have a "back-up" Playbook. What I AM surprised at, though, is how the demise of the first one was sold to us: It was the last play Barney would ever run. It felt cheap for there to still be a playbook at all.

8. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

The first "parade-version" Playbook was burned in the last play Barney ever ran. If anything it was important that Barney symbolically destroy that one. The back-up was brought out and used for Ted's benefit.

Besides, who doesn't think that Barney has the entire book memorized? At the very least he must have an electronic file out there, somewhere....

9. tighr

No one is disputing that a version of the book was burned.

What I am saying is that it was supposed to be an emotional moment in the show, a turning point for Barney, an epic final play. Instead, the fact that there still exists a playbook diminishes the impact of the previous selfless act.

10. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can still accept the emotional impact of Barney burning the original book. He had no intention of ever using the back up to run a play on another woman, but in the back of his mind he knew that a copy of his life's work existed in a box hidden somewhere. The fact that he ended up getting it out not to long after to help Ted wasn't foreseen by him. He's really having trouble changing his old nature, but he's committed to loving Robin forever.

11. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

I just liked that he still needed an outlet for the crazy. He stopped running plays, but he couldn't stop having crazy dreams/visions of new plays. So he naturally tried to get Ted in on it.

And it's bad from an emotional standpoint, but from knowing Barney, I'd suspect there's at least one more copy, or a digital one. The 'ceremonial' copy, the backup, and where's the extra backup ;)

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Maybe Barney will find a new outlet in writing romance novels or something like that :lol:

13. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I liked the idea that Robin was more important than the Playbook, the plays, all of it. She was all that he needed. But then of course how many hours of TV do they have to fill? Yeah, best to sacrifice character than to have to come up with something new.

14. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Watched it last night. Some good lines.

And I had the same thought throughout the episode- Lily wasn't herself. She isn't being an artist. She actually lost creativity outlet quitting the teaching job for this, something she wanted to avoid....

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Yet another solid episode. This season is really firing on all cylinders!

16. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I liked the thinly veiled jokes about Downton Abbey and I really liked The Escape Hatch. :lol:

17. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I liked everything about Barney's apartment. They really had the gags coming out left and right. I especially liked the Jor-El head. I've noticed that a number of shows and movies these days use holography like that as if it were real technology that existed today.

18. tighr

I liked the gags, too, but what took me out of my suspension of disbelief is that from a practical standpoint the greenscreen window doesn't work. The actors were literally looking at a greenscreen, and the effect is done in post. So unless you've got a really dumb chick, it wouldn't work in real life. That makes me a sad panda. :(

19. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

I give this some sort of extended suspension of disbelief, 'cause after all, on of Television's tropes is that any blow to the head means being unconscious...

20. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

This ep was a bit meh for me. Not bad, just...okay.

Also, I let the head-holo slide, but the greenscreen outside the window makes no sense at all.