December 2012 Challenge Voting Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Cobalt Frost, Jan 1, 2013.

?

December Challenge Winner?

Poll closed Jan 4, 2013.
  1. latkah, "The Further Adventures of Porthos- The Stilton Fulfillment"

66.7%
  2. CaptainGold, "Gift of a Lifetime"

33.3%
  1. Cobalt Frost

Cobalt Frost Captain Captain

Cobalt Frost in Phineas & Ferb's backyard
    Well, the Mayan apocalypse came and went (don't forget to thank the Doctor for saving us ;)) and we're still here! Time to vote for the winner of the December challenge; you have two excellent entries to choose from:

latkah's entry, "The Further Adventures of Porthos- The Stilton Fulfillment" http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=196582

CaptainGold's entry, "Gift of a Lifetime" http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=198022

Voting to run until midnight (US Eastern standard time) on Jan. 3rd 2013, one vote each. And.. go!

2. Sandoval

Sandoval Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Voting for your own entry Captain Gold?

Pretty pathetic I think you'd have to agree...

3. Sandoval

I voted for Jespah since I can't abide a person voting for their own story.

4. Angry Fanboy

Angry Fanboy Captain Captain

Angry Fanboy

For what it's worth it doesn't sit very well with me either I must admit.

It's so self-aggrandising. :confused:

5. CaptainGold

CaptainGold Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Gentlemen,

Please forgive me, when I last participated in this contest several years ago people voted for themselves and nobody said anything. My apologies, and if necessary I'll withdraw my entry for consideration. It's certainly not my ego on the line if I win or lose. Sorry I just didn;t know the rule sof the road here.

6. CaptainGold

Mods, please erase my vote for this month's story vote. Obviously I stepped on a land mine I didn't know was there...

7. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

I can't actually remove votes but I'm sure the challenge setter will take it into consideration.

8. Sandoval

You didn't step on a landmine as much as show yourself up as a complete egotist.

9. CaptainGold

Sandoval,

With all due respect, you need an attitude adjustment. It's been years since I posted on this site, and I didn't know the unwritten rules for the contest. You're posting like a Klingon whose Gagh died before he could eat it :klingon:

I apologized, asked for my vote to be withdrawn and even offered to take my story out of the contest. What more do you want before you let an innocent mistake go? You have no idea who I am where I live or what I do for a living, making a judgement about someone's ego based on one post is a stretch to say the least. As one who posts their work here I would think you would be a little more tolerant of other people's faults.

If I did something that bad please let the mods know so my account can be suspended for a while. Maybe that will give you the pound of flesh you desire to calm your righteous indignation.

I appreciate the lesson you gave me about the rules in this section. All I can tell you is I won't make the same mistake again, and I may well not post anything again so I don't cause any more trouble for anyone else on the board.

10. Cobalt Frost

Cobalt Frost Captain Captain

Cobalt Frost in Phineas & Ferb's backyard
    Two excellent entries this month! Congrats to jespah/latkah; I can't wait to see what you have in store for the January challenge.

11. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

Thanks; I'll see about getting the challenge up later today.

Thank you for the votes, gentlemen.

CaptainGold, I do hope you'll reconsider.

12. jespah

13. Angry Fanboy

Angry Fanboy

And that is of course your choice, but please don't think you're making any sort of dramatic statement or come across as throwing yourself on your sword by doing so.

14. Sandoval

Three votes in total? One of those is an egotist voting for their own entry and the other two are basically protest votes against the egotist.

That's rough.

Seems to me that the moderator of the fanfic forum could have at least found a spare half second to cast a vote since they commented in the thread - lead by example and all that.

If not for the two protest votes would the egotist have therefore won the challenge via the sole self-vote?

15. Count Zero

I didn't get to read the stories before the voting deadline, hence no vote from me. I had originally planned to read the stories on the weekend but real life interfered. And then I didn't find the time to do it the following days, either. Usually, I do try to read the stories, give some comment and vote in the voting thread. But this time around, I just didn't get around to it. However, I kept an eye on this thread and the voting. Since Captain Gold retracted his vote in the thread I don't see a problem with the voting other than the low number of voters.

Generally, moderators are obligated to moderate a forum, it doesn't necessarily mean they have to participate in every thread, including challenge threads.

16. Angry Fanboy

Angry Fanboy

I don't think I'd go so far as to call mine a "protest vote" as such since that reflects negatively on Jespah, who I genuinely feel had the better entry.

And regardless of Captain Gold flouncing dramatically off, I hope he can at least understand why voting for one's own entry elicits this sort of reaction, I personally have never done so and I'm unsure why a person would do something so transparently narcissistic in order to win a monthly fan fiction challenge.

Anyway that's the last from me on the matter. :)

17. Count Zero

We've had a similar incident before. Apparently, voting for oneself is acceptable elsewhere on the net. For a while after that quite controversial discussion those who did the challenge would add the rule about not voting for oneself to their OPs. It wasn't present this time (which I understand because it should be self-evident). However, Captain Gold has been chastised for his behaviour and I'm sure he won't do it again. So I regard the matter as settled, too.

18. jespah

Thanks, AF.

19. Angry Fanboy

Angry Fanboy

No problem. :)