Skype video quality

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Shikarnov, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Shikarnov

Shikarnov Rear Admiral Premium Member

Pittsburgh, PA - (TX, CT, & RF in years past)
    Hi All,

Has anybody else noticed a deterioration in Skype's video quality with Skype 5 and 6?

Skype says it's might be because of connection issues, or because of mismatched Skype versions, but that seems like complete nonsense to me. Video quality over the same connection/session was fine with other services (such as ooVoo), and I see no reason why two users would need to be on the exact same version of software that used to work very well.

Is it just me having this experiences, or has anybody else noticed Skype's decline?

Z

2. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I don't know about quality - my parents have a $50 webcam I bought them years ago, and I use my MacBook Pro built in camera. On their end, I look fantastic. On my end they look grainy and awful.

More concerning for me at the moment anyway is the repeated instances when Skype will (for some inexplicable reason) disconnect from video messaging after about 45-50 seconds. It's damn near impossible to have a conversation with anyone when it happens. At first I thought it was Charter Internet (because they're crooks and run a lousy service) but after idling away an hour on the phone with Charter we were able to determine that no, it wasn't their fault. I ran updates on Skype, and still seem to be having the problem, to the point that I just don't bother using it anymore.

3. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Skype annoys the hell out of me. Oovoo works so much better for me.

4. Naira

Naira Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I noticed that, for me, the quality of the service in general (voice + video) has deteriorated a lot during the past two months. I have no idea if it is an intentional move to push people to premium services that seem to come along full force lately or not.