Re-booting TNG For TV?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Jetfire, Aug 18, 2011.

1. ColeMercury

ColeMercury Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That's Nog. Jake never wanted to be a part of Starfleet. Nog was the one who looked up to the Starfleet officers and aspired to be like them.

Doesn't mean it's impossible. Only means the writers were lazy.

2. TheDolphin

TheDolphin Ensign Red Shirt

I'd love to see a brand-new post-VOY series, which combines characters from TNG, DS9 and VOY (basically any of the leads that would do it), whether it's about the USS Titan or another ship, as long as there are recognizable faces.

V.

3. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

The chances of that happening are slim to none.

4. Trekker82

Trekker82 Lieutenant Red Shirt

While I would love to have another Star Trek series on TV, a reboot-antyhing-would not be allowed, if I were in charge. Why not continue on after Voyager? For example, after Romulus was destroyed, the series could be based on the fallout of the Empire and how the quadrant(s) are affected.

5. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because that series was a failure in the ratings. The successful Star Trek is what JJ Abrams is doing now. Hollywood likes success a whole lot and doesn't like failure at all.

6. Trekker82

I dissagree with that, I think a lot of people felt that Abram's Trek was a massive failure that is only loosely built on Star Trek with disregard for any respect for Star Trek.

I understand that Hollywood caters to the nearly non-existent attention span of the younger generation who craves explosions, sex and poor character development.

7. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

So do a JJ on TNG for TV! :p

8. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Regardless of what one may feel about the artistic merits of the movie, it was a financial success. And that's all that counts in Hollywood.

9. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

And I disagree with everything you've written. I loved the new movie and thought JJ was very faithful and respectful to TOS. I am 38 years old and clearly not the "younger generation" demographic that "craves explosions, sex and poor character development." And I will add that I am just as much of a Star Trek fanatic as anyone else on this board.

10. OverJoyJackson

OverJoyJackson Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think doing any TREK TV series now would be a very risky idea. A friend of mine told me that if you were to watch every episode and movie of TREK made already, it would take you, 24 hours a day, nearly six weeks to see it all. That is just way too much TREK. I think "normal" people stopped watching because it got boring and they were retelling the same stories over and over and over.

Star Trek XI, whether you liked it or not, was a big hit. TREK has finally grown beyond TV and should exist only at the theaters. I'm not even sure if a TREK tv show would be a ratings winner, if it went up against THE X FACTOR or idiotic reality stuff. Do we really want to see TREK get beat up in the ratings by THE BIGGEST LOSER? What an irony that would be.

Having said that? The only way a TREK series would work, IMO, is on SHOWTIME or HBO. Something like DEXTER or THE WALKING DEAD that went no more than 12 episodes a year and was tightly written. This would eliminate the fluffy idiotic episodes all TREK series produced an over abudance of (how much of the 6 week viewing time would actually be "good" TV?)

11. Trekker82

The new Abbram's Trek was a hit because of what I said earlier, unfortunately it seems that's what viewers want. I personally want a movie or TV show that has intelligence, good technical conversations, debates or morality, problems dealing with other races ethics, etc. I do enjoy the occasional explosion, action, etc but when a movie is based solely on that it washes the Trek feel away.

I think continuing on the continuity of the prime universe would be fine. Basing the series on the Romulan's, maybe the Iconions or at least their technology or at least their technology.

I don't have Showtime or HBO but I have read a lot of their TV shows, and it seems like because they are aired on those stations its required to have sex scenes, profanity and a lot of gore- is that how we really want Star Trek to be portrayed? Just look at how Stargate SG-1 started out, with a nude scene, albiet not a gratuitous one but a nude scene that doesn't really fit in with the show.

12. OverJoyJackson

Going back to the prime-universe would be a mistake. Star Trek XI was successful because it was fun; pure and simple and it appealed to my generation. We may not be as all knowing as older generations but theres nothing I can do about that.

What I meant about Dexter and The Walking Dead? Those shows are written for adults. They have well written characters and everything that happens on those shows happens for a reason. They are tightly written and are, gasp, HIP with all kinds of people. TREK needs to expand from the typical Star Trek fanbase if it wants to survive.

Trek XI did that. Nemesis did not. Enterprise did not.

13. Trekker82

I don't know how much I can argue this as it's always going to be back and forth but I too in in my twenties and probably could be considered the genration I'm writting about, or at the very least the tail older end of it.

To me, Star Trek has and always should be about exploration, science and technology. I saw nothing new in the new movie. That is my major problem with it. Even some of the things such as phasers were slightly off in the movie. You can't turn an apple into an orange and call it an apple. How can you take such a young crew and put them in command of Starfleet's flagship? The Prime Universe can be fun, why can't there be a balance between the two? Why can't the "canon" be respected?

14. Uxi

Uxi Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, I've always said Abrams Trek was good sci-fi and a fun movie, but a bad Trek. Nemesis was both bad Trek and bad Sci-Fi and a bad movie. :D

15. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And Insurrection was a bad movie, but good Trek.

16. OverJoyJackson

You are confusing what you want to see in a movie with what they (the producers) believed would make a hit film. You're not wrong, but niether was JJ; It was a hit film.

17. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Bringing back the pseudo yet original universe on the big screen was bound to be a hit film. It would have been a hit tv show too hopefully. It was a direct remake of a classic. How could it not be at least as it tryed to resemble it if sidestepping it. Also for the first time almost since Kirk there was sex appeal from an eligible batchelor. Women define reality.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  18. DeadmeatDiggory

DeadmeatDiggory Commander Red Shirt

Maybe in the reboot, Picard could actually be French.

19. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

This. :bolian:

20. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I still can't believe people don't like this idea...we do have TOS re-booted on the big screen...why not re-boot TNG on the small screen? ;)