Kirk's Health in XII

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Kadratis, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Ln X

Ln X Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This! This hast to happen, they have to throw in some caveat in the third movie. But maybe it's a case of letting the genie out of the bottle.

Anyway we had two moments were Bones was worried about Kirk's health, but nothing came of it. Physically Kirk must be fine because Starfleet wouldn't send a captain who is not physically fit enough to complete such an urgent mission. Plus I don't see anything mentally wrong with Kirk, yeah he was pissed off but who wouldn't be after their mentor (and perhaps Pike was a close friend of Kirk's) died?

No those two moments were simply there to give Bones something to do, which for me is disappointing because I would like to see more of JJ (or AU) Bones. The group of scenes surrounding the two scenes where Bone's expresses concern about Kirk's health feel like the ball has been dropped on a lot of things. Act two is full of balls dropping but I guess that's a point of contention for another thread.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kirk was a patsy, I doubt Marcus gave a damn about his health - he was supposed to die, after all!

3. Amaris

Amaris Guest

No, it doesn't, and they don't. In the world of Star Trek (TOS, TNG, DS9, etc), death has been cured a dozen times over, it's just no one acknowledges it.

4. Spockkirk

Spockkirk Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Will they explain about Kirk's health in another film?

5. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

That remains to be seen (we probably won't know much of anything about story until a couple of years from now) but some folks would like to see the question addressed in some way.

6. Spockkirk

Spockkirk Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

As would I since I am curious about stuff like this. I wonder why they didn't say anything about Spock's health as well though cause Spock was the one who saw both Pike and Kirk die.

Seeing someone die would effect someone greatly wouldn't it and what about the shock of it all?

7. Maria Winter

Maria Winter Cadet Newbie

I always wondered why Bones made such a big deal out of the stuff at the beginning but didn't say anything during the rest of the movie......

8. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly. It's a cop-out: the writers want us to think that Kirk might do it and go to the dark side, but they don't have the guts to claim that he would do it without some head trauma. And it better be physical and not merely psychological, or else it doesn't exonerate Kirk well enough.

As for the Khan's blood thing (apt for a necro-thread!), Shatner's Kirk accumulated miracle cures and death reversals as well. Nothing ever came of it, good or evil. I doubt Starfleet would mind getting an officer back no matter what sort of magic brought him back. And I doubt they would advertise the Khan thing in any fashion, regardless of whether their timeline is as uptight about genetic improvement as the original, as the episode is embarrassing enough as is.

Timo Saloniemi

Nyotarules likes this.
  9. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Star Trek XIV - The Search for Kirk

10. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

If you're going to parse someone's post down to one line, can you please not remove all identifying information from the quote or the link to the original post so others can see the full context?

It's hard enough to keep track when you do that in a current thread, but this thread is two and a half years old. Plus, the new board software doesn't do nested quotes, so it helps to have the user name and the little arrow that links to the prior posts so one can quote both of them at the same time and avoid confusion.

11. Timo

Oops, sorry!

It's not that I'd remove anything: I just haven't bothered to find out how the bbs does quotes, since basically every post of mine is going to be multi-semi-pseudoquote anyway. So I just cut and paste, meaning attributions get left behind.

Will study now. Can be found in the corner wearing the pointy ea.. hat. Back soon.

Timo Saloniemi

12. Timo

...Oh, wow. That multiquote toggle sure is handy now.

Sorry again.

Timo Saloniemi

13. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

No worries. Thanks.

14. topcat

topcat Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

actually watch the movie. if you pay attention, kirks health is in doubt from the first frame.

from how his furry tailed bed bunnies acted, its probably a case of rigellian syphilis.
    Its also a plot device. to help him realize "hey im dieing as it is. so if I jump in the reactor and realign the stupidlittle hose ends, ill be speeding up my death by a full week. wooooohooo"

15. SpocksOddSocks

SpocksOddSocks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I always got the impression it was another nod to Space Seed...

Bones was pestering Kirk to take his physical in that.

16. Maria Winter

Maria Winter Cadet Newbie

So, wait, he might like, lose it and go crazy and become evil!!???! O_O That cannot happen!!! Bones and Spock wouldn't let it happen!!!