message in a bottleWe just noiticed..

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by ajac09, Jul 26, 2013.

1. ajac09

ajac09 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

The EMH transfer all power from life support to other systems.. then at the end of the episode star fleet officers beam over.. maybe they didnt need to breath in the few seconds the were shown.. lol

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

You just have to assume that he re-life supported the ship during the commercials.

3. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

And it's not that al air disappears when life support is offline.

4. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

turning off life support doesn't just make all the air go away. With life support off a crew can still breathe for a few hours.

5. teacake

I wonder if it turns off all the heating or if the ship generates enough heat to last a while.

It's freezing here atm so that's what I'm thinking of :lol:

6. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I remember being cold. God, I'd love to be cold, I can't abide this bloody heatwave...

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes the heat turns off, but yes it takes hours for a ship of that size to cool down.

Portal turned off the heat on Enterprise in The Last Outpost.

We saw Bev and Jean-Luc huddling together under a blanket.

You would think that in that situation that there would be publicly mandated orgies to save lives and toes.

Odo turned off the heat to his runabout inside a spacial ice float, but he and Weyoun didn't die immediately (Or at all... No, sorry, Weyoun killed himself.).

8. teacake

When I am rolling in wealth I am going to get central heating and I am going to have it cranked up to 28C every single day and forever and if anyone goes NEAR the thermostat with the intention of lowering it I will scream at them "THAT IS LIFE SUPPORT DON'T TOUCH IT DON'T TOUCH IT WE WILL ALL DIE IF YOU TOUCH IT!!!!"

9. Guy Gardener

You live in Australia.

Even in the harshest of winters, you'd still need airconditioning to bring the room down to 28.

10. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    28C is 10 degrees warmer than is a civilized temperature.

11. Guy Gardener

Temperature denotes "civilization"?

Maybe instead of solders, they should have sent a hundred billion dollars worth of Airconditioners to the Middle East?

(Which is still significantly cheaper than what actually happened.)

I hear that there's only 2 reasons why they're so angry over there, even the nice ones on our side, hell, even "us" who we send over there after a couple hours, its because of the heat and that they can never get all the sand out of their ass.

12. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Eh, we've seen Trek's life support failing in numerous episodes lead to instantaneous passing out as suits the needs of the plot. In reality you'd have several hours of breathable air, just like if you clogged the air filter in an underground bunker.

13. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Ugggh I couldn't handle that...I hate the heat. I like a nice, chill room.

Where I live, there are four fairly distinct seasons and I definitely prefer the Fall and Winter. The only thing I like about Summer is that I can go to the ocean.

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

But it should make the gravity turn off!

15. Guy Gardener

Environmental controls are separate buttons from life support.

Besides.

If the ship is moving and you turn the gravity off, structural integrity, inertial dampers, it's all integrated, the crew would be subject to the forces resulting from the speed of the ship, which is hundreds of times the speed of sound and a certainty to liquefy the entire crew instantly if it's doing much else other than standing still.

16. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I said a civilized TEMPERATURE, not civilized people. There's a difference.

I live in a part of the world where it's not unusual to have winter for 7 months of the year (Canadian Prairies). Our seasons tend to be Winter, Mud, Summer, and Fall.

I like the fall. September is my favorite month - the mosquitoes are gone, it's sunny without being too hot (usually; two years ago was horrendous), and the mornings are crisp and chill. The smell of dead leaves and ripe fruit is intoxicatingly wonderful. :)

By that logic, Chris Hadfield should be dead from all those months he spent in the International Space Station. There's no gravity up there. :vulcan:

You are confusing gravity with inertia. That's why they have "inertia dampers" (or whatever). Without them, the crew would be subatomic goo on the walls.

17. teacake

But I only like hot people!

18. Guy Gardener

I believe the systems/devices managing gravity and inertia are associated and probably dependant but still separate, however I do know that gravity and inertia are different. Inertia is a trait of matter that resists momentum, meanwhile Gravity is a weak attractive force that negligibly draws all "stuff" inthe universe towards all other "stuff" in the universe proportionately to it's mass.

Inertial dampers seem to be a "field" that encompasses the entire ship, and gravity plating is just something immediate and localized stuffed into the floor between the insulation.

19. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

when life support turns off it tends to get HOT on the ship not cold. We've seen this in a few episodes. According to those episodes the engines are producing tremendous heat and part of life support is actually COOLING the ship

20. teacake

But that's not right KaraBear. Everyone knows when life support goes off you are freezing and so compelled to huddle which is the whole point.