No More SOTL Calendars After 2013?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sxottlan, Dec 1, 2012.

1. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's too bad, even though I've not picked one up since 2009 I did look forward to them.

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Is this what you're looking for? By a rival publisher, Danilo UK:
    http://www.amazon.com/Official-Star-Trek-Ships-Calendar/dp/178054118X/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1354432590&sr=8-9&keywords=%22star+trek%22+calendar+2013

A bit tricky when the official calendar license is split across different publishers.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Here in England, I've seen the JJ-Trek one (ship stills from the 2009 movie) and a TOS crew one. No SOTL this year, although it may crop up yet.

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

There's a rumor around Film Score Monthly that there won't be a release of the complete Star Trek: Insurrection soundtrack and that the DS9 score release is in danger because of a merchandise embargo hitting everything non-Abramstrek related. So I wouldn't be surprised if there's no SOTL for the same reason.

5. Boris Skrbic

Boris Skrbic Commodore Commodore

I don't know, some of the the CG illustrations in the recent calendars tended to look way too crisp. I preferred those that tried to match the look of the TV shows or the movies. Also, fans would create hybrid, ”kitbashy” designs, without bearing in mind that kitbashing was mostly abandoned when the production switched to CG. Ideally, an image should look like something that could've easily been canon, down to the ship names and ranges of registry numbers.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  6. F. King Daniel

Here's the link: http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=90048&forumID=1 ?iframe=true&archive=0

Which references this post:
    http://www.zetaminor.com/roobarb/sh...ar-Trek-The-Original-Series-CD-box-set!/page6

7. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

I am worried that Paramount may cancel as well the Star Trek: The Illustrated Dictionary and the Enterprise book by Michael Okuda. It looks like the Abrams Universe is becoming the standard Star Trek, with the past Star Trek being pushed aside. I am not sure how I feel about this. I just hope that the next film is a superlative Star Trek film, and not another derivative action-adventure film with a Star Trek name.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Pocket Books still has a full slate of Prime-universe Star Trek novels in the works for publication in 2013, including several original-series novels in the first half of the year, my own Enterprise-era book Rise of the Federation: A Choice of Futures in July, and a 5-book 24th-century crossover saga called The Fall in, well, the fall and winter. I'm not getting any sense that classic Trek is being pushed aside.

9. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

Good to hear that. I feel lukewarm towards Abrams Universe.

10. F. King Daniel

Would not be the first time Pocket's Trek plans were f:censored:ked by TPTB...

(very sincerely hoping that it's not the case. I suspect, if anything, the subtitle "The Original Series" being added to the novels early next year are the result of Paramount or Bad Robot not wanting any confusion between old and new Trek)

11. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm convinced that there's room for both 'verses on my library shelving, but management may be in need of the reminder of that being the case. And not just for my own self, by the looks of things.

One more quotation from my Facebook commentary re: the SOTL calendars...

"None of mine are unopened. I bought mine for the artwork, and I do take them out of the bookshelf and look at the works of the mighty...and *cease* to despair for a time..."

12. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

What books are these?

13. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Actually, I think the title of the first is Star Trek: The Visual Dictionary.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

If the decision was made after those books were already contracted, would they be able to stop them being published?

15. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

Yes.

The Abrams-verse books were written & ready to go before the plug was pulled.

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

But this "merchandise embargo" has already been put into effect where the CDs are concerned, at least. If it were going to happen to the books, I think I'd have heard about it by now.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good point. Let's just hope no one changes their minds.

18. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Is the painting done? I would love to see that:)

19. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

A "merchandise embargo" on Trek Prime really doesn't make sense. Especially considering Bad Robot doesn't allow anything from the Abramsverse without their direct supervision, and that has led to a few delays, like with those YA novels.

And besides, Prime merchandising kicked it up a notch in 2009 without having a negative impact on Trek XI.

Damn, just that sentence is awesome. And another good reason to mourn.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  20. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral