ROBOCOP remake finds its director and star

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Definitely needs some color. Are those test shots or the final thing?

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Since it's based on the Iron Man and Batman suits, he also looks just like a man wearing an armor suit, and not like a man integrated into robot.

3. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To be fair, the original Robocop doesn't look like a cyborg either, unless you take the helmet off.

That said, this is just one of many iterations of the suit, assuming that the leaks are true. We might get something that looks a lot closer to the original in terms of color by the end of the film.

4. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

This is supposed to be his "Swat mode"

5. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

Seriously, I can't take fanboys any less seriously anymore as normaly (doesen't necessarily mean any of you guys but what I've read on the net). It just looks like an updated version of the original... what it is supposed to be. Don't like it, watch the original, it won't change. I'm sick and tired of people dumping on a re-imagination of something just because they want it to be the same. Be happy that something you like will live on. Without change it wouldn't. Simple fact of life.

6. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think change is the problem, here.

I think they changed it into the most generic looking video game armour I see when playing Crysis and Mass Effect.

If you're going to update it, then UPDATE it. Make something fresh and new, like the way the original looked at the time. This design looks lazy to me and brings nothing new or exciting to the table.

7. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

This is an excellent response. I too, don't mind change. But I DO want to see something... new? Different? Not something safe, and this feels SAFE.

8. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Perfect answer. If this was, what, 2003, I'd say it was different and new. But in 2013 when it'll be out, it'll look like a 'been there done that' feel. Make it new style or dont make it at all.

9. Samurai8472

More of the rumored script

That focus group with criminals is still in this rumored description.

Early script reports had Robocop being outsourced to China. Looks like they send him there for training.

10. JarodRussell

http://www.comingsoon.net/imageGallery/RoboCop/large/hr_RoboCop_2.jpg

Well I thought that was how he actually looks like in the film when he takes the helmet off.

11. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Costume looks crap, storyline utterly meh. Why didn't they just call it something else and let everyone assume they were ripping off Marvel movies.

12. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I think it looks fine, honestly -- maybe even good. I have no idea how it's going to be presented in the movie, but that looks exactly like something that a modern-day mega-sized corporation would build if they designed a robot cop through focus groups.

Him looking like something out of a super hero movie is actually rather perfect, because that would be the easiest way to sell him to the public. Think about it: Would you rather the public view your company's new crime against nature, complete with military-grade weaponry, as a walking murder machine, or as a super hero? One is something that could generate the wrong kind of publicity, while with the other you can develop a successful brand with all kinds of merchandise opportunities.

I'm glad that this production seems to be doing something different with the concept. This definitely feels like they're trying to capture the point of RoboCop, rather than just lazily copying the style that worked in the '80s. There's no reason to produce a 1:1 remake of the original with more advanced special effects; we have the original film for that. We are three decades removed from the 1980s, and the Cold War and War on Drugs are more or less over, won by capitalism and gangsters, respectively. The film won't work if it doesn't adjust the aesthetic and story.

Padilha is easily one of my favorite directors working today, so I'll wait and see some actual footage before I start running for the hills and screaming bloody murder.

He's stepping out of his trailer between shots, that's clearly not the helmet-less makeup. Peter Weller wasn't wearing the third-act makeup underneath the helmet on the original film, either:

[​IMG]

13. Samurai8472

Cop cars and police bike.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Futuristic station wagon/ Heavily modified Lincoln .

[​IMG]

Abbie Cornish playing Alex Murphy's wife

[​IMG]

14. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is that car a Taurus?

15. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Having an "intimidation mode" makes some kind of sense, I guess, but all the other stuff just seems so unnecessary. Is there any reason we really NEED to see him in a bunch of different armors and colors over the course of the film?

What the heck does that have to do with character or story?

16. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How do his different modes detract from character or story?
    Besides, he's part machine. It's logical to make tweaks and upgrades as he is tested in "real life" situations.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  17. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Who knows how this movie will turn out, but I agree that one of the strengths of the original design is that it looks robotic. On top of that, Weller moved robotically, which strengthened the overall concept. It's quite possible that a more advanced version would look more streamlined and move more smoothly (don't know if this one does). If it does, it might not spell disaster however, because the major point of Robocop is that he acts like a robot in his lack of emotion and perceived lack of humanity. If that part is successful, then this movie might not turn out too badly.

18. JarodRussell

Sigh, that argument again. The story is that several versions of the armor are developed during the film.

19. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

AND, there can be more variety of action figures.

20. Samurai8472

^Funny you mention action figures because this Robocop is being marketed like one. He's a product.

The remake is marketing him like a product. Robocop 1.0 to 4.0 are all products to Omnicorp.

Murphy is expendable to the company. Lungs? Heart? all disposable to them.

It lessens/degrades what Murphy was. Murphy is being used like he's nothing to them

Slap an OmniCorp label on it and market it.

If they wanted to turn him into a toaster they could have. They're nothing about the man.

Even the exposed right hand is rumored to have a company image angle.

Nobody wants a cold robotic hand to protect a kid. So the hand is meant to assure people when Robocop is protecting them.