The BBC should be given the chance to make a new star trek

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by The Johnson, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star Trek did well for BBC2 in the 90s - you had three series airing a week always in the top 5. But since digital/satellite channels took off a few years later imports ceased, there was no need for the BBC to buy them, and the new channels outbid them anyway. That happened with Enterprise - the only Star Trek series never shown by the BBC.

I think the last US import on BBC TV was Heroes. They don't touch Sci-Fi these days. Even Red Dwarf had to go off to (commercial channel) Dave.

BBC1 does still try the odd Who like (13 part) commission - the last I think being Atlantis, but even that is co-financed with BBC America. But series of that length really are the exception

2. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Why? So we could get 4 seasons with 3 episodes seemingly aired at random?

3. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it was Neyrs who mentioned it back-thread (forgive me if I got the credit wrong) but I think a British-Made "Upstairs-Downstairs"-like Star Trek is inspired...the stories of the crew (and families?) belowdecks...what it really takes to run a Startship, other than asking Scotty for more power...more stories in whatever equivalent to 10-Forward there would be...not getting that promotion...not getting that woman/man...screwing up in the astrophysics lab...sure, Command would figure, but the bulk of the storycarrying would rest on the crew's shoulders...a BIG thumbs up to this, IMHO...

4. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

6.17pm Saturday Evenings is Star Trek time!

5. AustNerevar

AustNerevar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Every third Friday in October. Don't miss it! There won't be many.