Let's discuss all episodes of TOS

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by MikeNeko, Jul 11, 2009.

1. MikeNeko

MikeNeko Lieutenant Red Shirt

I so much enjoy original Trek. I admit not every episode had a moral and some were downright :eek:

Of course, some are the all time favorites but ones I sometimes forget about is just recently I watched "Patterns Of Force" very powerful. Or on the light side "A Piece of the Action".

Sort of the same idea were Earth's history changes an Alien Planet's evolution.

One makes you say Mein Gott (bad joke) and the other leaves you laughing and wondering if we could get the rules to Fizzbin.

I guess my least favorites were Cat's Paw and Turnabout Intruder.

What were your favorites and why? Least favorite and why?

2. RobertMfromLI

RobertMfromLI Lieutenant Red Shirt

One of my all time favorites was "The Empath" - though it had very sparse sets, and few effects, it did get to explore just how close "The Big Three" were to each other, including how strongly (in a positive way) Spock felt towards McCoy (including him comforting McCoy while Kirk was fuming, and the "anger" beams surrounding him as strong or stronger than they did Kirk at the end).

And there's Doomsday... another favorite.

Oh, there are sooo many...

-Rob

3. MikeNeko

I guess a lot of these stories were much like the Twilight Zone. In fact some were taken from the Twilight Zone. 1960's Earth and the 50's were post war. People like Rod and Gene and obviously others saw, if we do not learn to understand one another we would end up blowing ourselves up.

Back to your selection, The Empath, so there was still hope that maybe if a planet was doomed (for what ever reason) an Alien force might step in and try to save some planet if they could.

As to the Big Three: (different episodes)

Dr. McCoy: Shut up, Spock, we're rescuing you!
    Mr. Spock: Why, thank you, *Captain* McCoy.

Kirk: "Don't you think you better check with me first?"
    Spock: "Captain?!?! JIM!!!"

Actually for my third example is the second movie. Spock's death scene with the shield between Kirk and Spock is quite powerful.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  4. RobertMfromLI

RobertMfromLI Lieutenant Red Shirt

As well as McCoy openly crying at his funeral...

Or his lines in ST:III...

"I'm gonna tell you something that I... never thought I'd ever hear myself say. But it seems I've... missed you. And I don't know if I could stand to lose you again."

...which of course, wasn't a big revelation to the rest of us, but it was touching hearing McCoy tell Spock that, even if Spock wasn't quite all there.

5. MikeNeko

Then there are ones that had morals, but somehow, whether script or acting never quite hit the high points as we has discussed previously.

"Let That Be Your Last Battlefield"
    "Omega Glory"

These are just my opinions.

6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

ST II was the second movie...

7. MikeNeko

You are right. Personally the first movie was so bad, I guess I try my best to forget that it was ever made. I know that many people share this feeling. This is why the myth of good and bad Trek movies started. Odd number bad, even number good. Before anyone has anything to say about the myth, it does not hold true for a number of reasons.

8. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Commodore Commodore

Crush, Kill, DESTROY!

(Your opinion, I mean:devil:)

9. MikeNeko

That's okay. To me the first movie was that they took a couple of already filmed episodes ideas, smashed them together and made it into a movie. "The Changeling" goes to the big screen.

And yet I have no problem with that. Khan/Ricardo was magnificent in Wrath of Khan.

10. Chrisisall

And it was glorious.
    Ricardo is great in anything, even Spy Kids 3D.;);)

11. MikeNeko

So Chrisisall back to the original question? What are your favorite TOS episodes?

12. Mr ATOZ

Mr ATOZ Ensign Newbie

Balance of Terror ,one of my all time favorites
    Mud's women (Love that Harry Mudd) he is such a thorn in Kirk's side
    Mirror Mirror the Idea of an opposite universe was great

13. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

My favorite three episodes are -

1.The taste of armergeddon . ( walk in death booths nice )
    2.The doomsday machine . ( Matt decker shore leave well overdue )
    3.Amok time . ( spock and kirk FIGHT well cool )

:devil::rommie:

14. Chrisisall

My Top 5 in order:
    Doomsday Machine
    Amok Time
    City On The Edge of Forever
    Journey To Babel
    Shore Leave

15. Chrisisall

Hey! I liked BOTH of those, particularly Turnabout!!:mad:

16. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

Here's an admission: Doomsday Machine is one of my least favorites. I can't tolerate Commodore Decker, except lashed to a bio-bed with a long-acting hypo in him. And the planet killer is annoying as hell. Contact my lawyer, please.

17. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How about instead of just discussing our favorite eps, maybe someone could come up with a BBS-type thingy where we could do that. It would be like a TOS forum. :devil:

18. Chrisisall

He'll be receiving the papers from my attorney.

19. davidw

davidw Cadet Newbie

My favourite ep is `Miri'. By 1983, i'd seen nearly every ep, bar this, and didn't know what it was about, very exciting as a Trek fan to have a story u know nothing about, except the title. I even assumed it was season 3. Secondly, it was banned by the BBC after being shown once in late 1970 and causing an uproar, which makes it stand out, and third, story-wise it's so damn GOOD and relatively original.

20. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's the I.D.I.C., isn't it? :lol: