I don't think Voyager gets the right credit

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Oynaq, Nov 10, 2013.

?

Other than the original which is the best Star Trek?

1. Next Generation

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  2. Deep Space Nine

19 vote(s)
    44.2%
  3. Voyager

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  4. Enterprise

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  5. They did not let Enterprise develope Enough?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

This seems odd.

If Ocampans only do it once, ever... And if Tom Paris moved to Ocampa... He'd use up the planets limited conservation of booty calls in a month... Which would destroy the planet, incest or virginity, if every child calls Tom daddy.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

What makes you think Tom Paris is so appealing that every female Ocampan will breed with him?

3. Guy Gardener

Chicks dig jerks.

4. teacake

I suppose he would make quite a splash in the pool after all those namby pamby Ocampan men for generations :lol:

5. Guy Gardener

You have to remember that if the boys only do it once too, that coinciding mating cycles may require the absolute exclusion of love, and may be why they have to be so friendly and naive, that every 3 year old is going to be forced into a sex room by their relatives with whosoever the hell is on heat at exactly the same time, and be expected to put out without complaint.

6. teacake

So they are animals.

7. Guy Gardener

Do you watch the English show Misfits?

"So I was shagging this bird, and she was so ugly, I have no idea how I kept it up, I mean it's ridiculous how ugly she was, there's no bloody reason she should have even gone out on a Friday night, I mean she was like if Rod Stewart was a woman."

"Will you shut up."

"I don't think you're really understanding how unbelievably ugly this woman was. She was Horrible!"

"But you slept with her?"

"Yes. Of course."

"That's sick!"

"What? Are you trying to tell me that you only sleep with men that you are attracted to?"

"Yes! Of course!"

"YOU ARE SO SHALLOW!! So unbelievably shallow! All of those men out there who think you're nice, but you knock them back because they have a big nose or a mole... You are a horrible human being! But me, I'm an equal opportunity sort of person."

I don't think just two sex opponents get thrust into an Ocampan sex room at a time.

They just keep throwing sexually ripe three year olds in there and either you crawl out pregnant, or you're crying in the corner because no other bugger wants to #### you.

8. teacake

:lol: I remember that Misfits scene!

But you know the Ocampan aren't shallow, they don't have the time for it. I picture them dutifully lining up to procreate with whoever pops into the room opposite them.

9. Guy Gardener

So Misfits ripped off Voyager.

Is this the only time Misfits ripped off Voyager?

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think Voyager is a fun show, and benefits by having some of that TOS fun and adventure which is sorely absent from TNG and DS9.

It would be my second favourite after the original if it weren't for Enterprise's fantastic third season and good fourth. Right now it's a toss-up depending on which day of the week it is.

11. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like that Voyager had a 'back to basics' approach in the beginning. It didn't feel like a reset switch on the franchise per se, not like Enterprise did at times, but it did feel to me like they were taking TNG's more multi-layered storytelling, and transposing it into a TOS-like setting (an unknown part of the galaxy where none of the usual alien races exist and 'our people' are effectively alone and isolated). A commendable effort.

Of course, the powers that be did eventually cave, and that's when the Borg came. But to be fair the Borg were always said to be from the Delta Quadrant anyway, so it felt like a natural development.

12. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree.
    I think Voyager is VERY underrated by the Trek fanbase.
    I find many aspects of Voyager in terms of story telling, set design and Janeway's personality much more similar to TOS than any of the other modern Treks.

13. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Yeah but confident, dominating jerks, not dorky jerks. Tom Paris is kind of like Joey from Friends and Barney from How I Met Your Mother. He's how dorky TV writers think manly playboys act.

Voyager set itself up to be awesome, all it needed was more than a handful genuinely well written episodes per season.

If you take the best twenty or thirty episodes of Voyager you'll come away with a fantastic series. Unfortunately if you take the worst sixty or seventy episodes you'll want to claw your eyes out.

14. Guy Gardener

That still leaves 70 episodes that don't fit those criteria.

15. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Maybe he's only watching the first 100 episodes, and stopping at "Timeless".

16. Ln X

Ln X Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

While TNG got a little stiff and sterile at times, DS9 had its share of fun: Dabo girls, Quark's bar, Morn, Ferengi and some seriously dark humour at times. Don't forget Par'mach as well...

17. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Stiff and sterile," indeed. TNG is the most satisfying of the STAR TREK series!

18. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

5545 x 3827 pixels?

Could you resize that please? It's more than twice the size of my screen resolution.

19. teacake

Maybe to some. I rank it the lowest.

And yeah Ln X DS9 which is sometimes portrayed as mostly gritty and political is FULL of fun. Very playful, Julian and the Ferengi.. great the way they wove the Ferengi differences from humans into so many episodes.

20. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

The other seventy are okay.

TNG is the one that means the most to me, DS9 is the one that's most fun to come back to.