Season ONE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Mutai Sho-Rin, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Well it "makes sense" that no one gets headaches anymore, or they're uncommon. Presumably in a normal situation if you were getting a headache a remedy for it can easily be gotten. But there's a difference between the type of headache you get that annoys you for 20 minutes until the Tylenol kicks in and a massive, pounding, headache that's pretty much life-stopping like Picard was getting. (Often times a symptom of a bigger problem or condition.)

That's what Crusher found to be so odd ontop of the fact she couldn't get rid of it and it kept persisting.

And, yeah, it really should have been a clue to everyone that something "bigger" was going on here.

2. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Re: Digital noise - video

White specks are usually caused by dark contaminants on the negative (which then become white when colors are reversed during the scan). Dust would be the most likely culprit... or redeposited sediment (like silver halide crystals) floating around in the processing chemicals... or just general contaminates in the water used to mix the chemicals or wash the film with. Usually that stuff is pretty well filtered out though, so it's rare.

But yeah, it's not digital noise like that reviewer claimed.

3. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Watched Justice and The Battle today. Both had very clean and prisitine looking transfers. They're so good, I'm almost getting used to the picture quality.

I'm pleasantly surprised that the new audio mixes do seem to add to a more active soundfield for these episodes. Especially the sound effects on The Battle were great. When Picard remembers the events on the Stargazer the soundfield is filled by the sound of fire and alarms, coming from pretty much every speaker. It sounds fantastic.

4. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Digital noise - video

Thanks for explaining that. Always wondered what the cause was of those white specks. They're very noticable in Where No Man Has Gone Before, especially in the darker sickbay scenes. But becuase the reviewer above uses the phrase "haze of white specs" I don't think he means the occasionaly dust speck, but he's actually referring to the filmgrain. Also, the white dust should be most noticable in dark scenes, not the well lit bridge scenes....

5. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Just watched "Heart of Glory" (still a good episode with great music and an infinitely more interesting version of the Klingons compared to what we got later on) and was surprised that they actually reworked the explosion of the Batris from what we were shown in the season one trailer on the Next Level disc. I wonder why they did that.

Also, I noticed the flickering (almost strobing!) light in the transporter wall panel that was mentioned upthread. Kind of distracting once you've seen it.

As for the reason for the interlaced footage in "Code of Honor"; I'm not sure if I get why they did that. Is it an error in the original film material, something that happened during the scanning of the negatives or did someone screw up the mastering for the blu-ray disc itself? (BTW, I noticed another of these "interlace" errors in "Heart of Glory" at the end of the scene where Picard first speaks with the commander of the Klingon ship.)

Also watched "Datalore" yesterday. Brilliant music in the scene where they enter Soong's laboratory! But oh my, how annoying is it that no-one even listens to what Wesley has to say? That was really absurd. And I actually think there should be a scene in the end where Picard apologizes to Wesley.

6. Maxwell Everett

I don't think it's interlaced (they're not working with interlaced content -- everything should be 1080p, 23.976 fps)... it just has half the vertical resolution it's supposed to have (540p). It was either imported incorrectly into their editing program or had some weird effect applied to it that caused it to be rendered out with half the vertical resolution.

It's possible it happened during the scan, but that seems unlikely. But it's definitely a question Ex Astris Scientia should ask Mike Okuda, because we don't want to see this happen too often. I was hoping the shot in "Code of Honor" was the only instance. :(

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Ha, yeah. As annoying as Wesley could be, it would still be nice if the crew acknowledged that "Hey, this kid is actually pretty SMART and saved our asses a few times already. We should pay attention when he has something to say!"

8. davejames

9. BriGuy

BriGuy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, Data did make the point of saying that the Galaxy class had enough power to pull off the defensive maneuver he suggested.

So that tells me no ship before the Galaxy line had enough power to pull it off, even if they had thought of it.

10. Maxwell Everett

The highlights in the effect do look dimmer on the "Code of Honor" screencap, but that could be due to the exact frame that was captured (it's a dissolving effect). Also, in the "Farpoint" shot, the actors are being lit from above and below by the practical transporter lights, so it makes the effect look brighter overall.

11. Trekker4747

Not S1 or really the BD, but since there's no general BD thread... I'm planning to watch some episodes of S2 today just to sort of see the difference to expect and, wow, just watching the first few minutes of "The Child" and it's just... WOW. This looks like utter crap!

:lol:

12. davejames

True, but even in other Farpoint shots it looks brighter. The effect popped off the screen and stood out to me much more in that episode than it has in any subsequent ones.

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I experienced the same feeling when watching The Best of Both Worlds the other night.

14. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've noticed that with every episode I've seen since the remastering was announced.

15. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

Anyone else think the general TNG-R thread should've remained open? I think there's enough difference to warrant both that and a season by season thread. Plus, it's kind of a shame to let such an epic thread fade into obscurity. Just my $0.02.:bolian:

16. Trekker4747

It probably should have remained open to continue discussion about future sets.

17. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

The "shimmering" on the transporter wall, I wonder if thats the same as other flickering going on. I've noticed it with a few episodes here and there, just in certain sections of the shot. Sometimes on a near closeup of Picard on the bridge, right behind him at the wall behind the tactical station you can see it.

It's almost like a concentration of film grain and definitely has that 24/48hz flicker look to it. I transfer 16mm film at work and notice this some times on older films. I have a sony professional broadcast crt monitor (same one the vfx supervisor has in the behind the scenes featurette) that mimicks it perfectly on the entire screen when it's in 24p/48hz mode. I also noticed it on tube tv's when I was in Australia. (50hz) pal causing it.

I'd rather have it the way it is than some kind of smoothing over or other digital technique to remove it though.

18. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

There will be new, dedicated threads a couple of weeks before each season is released. IMO, the original thread was an "anticipation" vehicle and now the real things are here.

19. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thanks for closing it Mutai. One thread is enough, and then in a month or two we can start the Season 2 anticipation thread. Having both threads running congruently seemed a little confusing and unnecessary.

20. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just bought my S1 set. Should be getting it tomorrow.

Can't wait to see "Where no one has gone before" (Possibly the greatest TNG episode ever) in full glorious HD!