Greg's Trek Ships and Things

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by STRenegade, Feb 27, 2013.

?

Favorite Era?

1. ENT

8 vote(s)
    6.2%
  2. Pre-TOS

15 vote(s)
    11.5%
  3. TOS

69 vote(s)
    53.1%
  4. TMP

48 vote(s)
    36.9%
  5. Lost Era

15 vote(s)
    11.5%
  6. Next Gen

21 vote(s)
    16.2%
  7. Next Gen (DS9)

18 vote(s)
    13.8%
  8. Next Gen (Voyager)

14 vote(s)
    10.8%
  9. TNG Movies

13 vote(s)
    10.0%
  10. Post NEM

13 vote(s)
    10.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. STRenegade

STRenegade Commander Red Shirt

More progress. Going to have to redo the nacelles because they are a mess right now and they didn't come out the way I wanted them.
    [​IMG]

2. STRenegade

Redid the nacelles and added small details.
    [​IMG]

3. STRenegade

Took the two balls (insert childish giggle here) off the nacelles and replaced them. Redid the impulse engines. Added more Laser Bank locations. Waiting for stupid comment on the windows. :D
    [​IMG]

4. STRenegade

Changes and window placement.
    [​IMG]

5. STRenegade

Something I'll work on occasionally from time to time when I get stuck on another model.
    [​IMG]

6. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Now I really like that ship seen in the lower righthand side of the original art.

Could you blow that up for us? I'd really like to see more of that one.

7. STRenegade

A rather new design I came up with, based on a kitbash by Forbin and a piece of K7.
    [​IMG]

8. STRenegade

Oddly enough, I'm almost done with this one. I guess when I don't plan things, it works out better. Sometimes.
    [​IMG]

9. STRenegade

I'm calling her done mesh wise. On to the fun part: textures.
    [​IMG]

10. STRenegade

Just a more few texture tweaks and modeling the high detailed rooms (since the ship is small enough for them) and then she shall be done.
    [​IMG]

11. STRenegade

Yays all done.
    [​IMG]

12. STRenegade

Found this neat little trick. Unfortunately it takes 8 mins to render lol
    [​IMG]

13. STRenegade

Redoin some textures and upgraded the dining room.
    [​IMG]

14. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Woo hoo!! Lots of laser banks! <imagines a Klingon commander meeting one of these during the Four Years War, and makes lots of weapons sounds> What? :biggrin:
    Anyways, you've really made the Typhoon's nacelle arrangement really look good. You could have gone with an arrangement similar to Battleships that would come a few decades later, Proxima class or the Mars class, but I think you really went with the right decision in this case.:techman:

And yeah, the Starfleet Museum is a great place to fill in all of the blanks from the 2150's to the start of TOS, from using those ships in fanfiction, to using design elements to create new ships to fill in unused registry numbers.

The swept back wings with the supports on the end, and the saucer design reminds me a little of Ralph McQuarries' Phase II concept, mated to the engineering hull of a Daedalus or Archon class. I've always liked the idea of using full wings, as opposed to only support pylons. Makes her look like she is actually flying through space.

What type of vessel is the Betsy class? She can't be a surveyor/science vessel, like the Oberth class, otherwise she wouldn't be on patrol near the Klingon border. I'd like to say she could be a Light Cruiser or Frigate of some sort, but they usually have secondary weapons (torpedo/projectile launchers), which the Betsy seems to lack. I'm almost tempted to say she could be a Light Explorer and/or a Light Patrol Cruiser or a Patrol Frigate, or something like that. She looks like she is meant for defense, but would have to what for reinforcements or run if up against a Cruiser or above.

Too bad the Oomaru has the same registry as the Caracal, otherwise, I'd probably confirm that she exists in my timeline. Oomaru is also a name I haven't seen used before, which is a nice, creative touch.

15. STRenegade

What is the Typhoon?

16. umichigan

umichigan Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I agree. Used to play Descent on the office network circa 1998.

One of my old art teachers used to say that nothing truly original is ever really created because we are a product of our environment.

17. STRenegade

Considering I still have no idea what that game is and never heard or seen it before...
    ---
    Anyone remember that starship I was working on with the insane amount of detail? Guess what? It's back. After making some minor adjustments, I'm close to finishing the inside of the nacelles. The back end and the space between the warp coils are the last parts to detail up before I work on the outer hull part.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. umichigan

Do a Google search for Descent game ship images and you'll see the similarity. NBD

19. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was a DOS game released in 1994. This screenshot won't show you the outside of the ship, but you can see its top view in the display at the bottom. I can see a passing similarity to your Klingon fighter myself, but you could probably do the same for dozens of sci-fi fighter ships.

20. umichigan

Heck, in some ways the Descent fighter looks like an X-Wing that was washed in hot water.
    I hope you don't think that I'm criticizing your work STR. Personally I think your stuff rocks.