Spoilers VOY: The Eternal Tide by Kirsten Beyer Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Aug 20, 2012.

?

Rate The Eternal Tide.

1. Outstanding

85 vote(s)
    47.2%
  2. Above Average

56 vote(s)
    31.1%
  3. Average

30 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Below Average

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  5. Poor

7 vote(s)
    3.9%
  1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yes, the focus has become more about large-scale astropolitical events, but as I said, there are positives taking place on that scale as well as negatives. The Federation lost Andor but gained Cardassia and Ferenginar as allies. Some members of the Typhon Pact are hostile, but the Romulans are friendlier than they've ever been. It's hardly true that it's all doom and gloom.

2. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

Yes, this is what I am talking about. Now Chris you may not see it, but this is something that a lot of fans have seen. Again, I did not say it was bad, but I am looking for a little bit more light. So let's get Janeway back :)

3. Christopher

^Define "a lot of fans." How many have you actually spoken to about it? I've seen maybe two, three, at most four posters that I can think of express that view of the novels on this BBS. It's easy to mistake a few persistent online posters for a large faction.

4. Poncho Anderson

Poncho Anderson Ensign Newbie

I am waiting anxiously for this book to arrive. I honestly cannot say how I feel about the possible return of Janeway. I'd grown accustomed to her disappearance and there can be no question that with her absence, the other characters have grown. I mean, look at Chakotay and Kim. They've grown by leaps and bounds from their characterization in seven years on the television series. I give stellar props to Kirsten for this as she's given me hope that Harry can be something other than a doormat (Neelix, well, I'm not sure even she can do anything with him...lol).

I will reserve judgment until after I've read the novel. I have to say that so far, Kirsten can do no wrong. I adore all of her Voyager literature thus far.

5. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Just to let you folks know, I picked up my copy of The Eternal Tide today at B&N. They were stocking shelves and 4 copies of the book were just sitting on the information desk waiting to be shelved. I must admit that I'm anxious to read it - and the Beyer Voyager relaunch - but I have to get through the Pre-Destiny stuff! I've been picking up the books because I've found the newer Trek books are disappearing from my local bookstores faster than some of the ones from 3-4 years ago.

6. Poncho Anderson

Poncho Anderson Ensign Newbie

I will put a call into my local Barnes and Noble as soon as they open up to see if they have any copies sitting around. I cannot wait to sit down and begin reading this novel.:p

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

You are killing me here.

8. Katherine

Katherine Commodore Commodore

Just read it and then please tell us what we all desire to know. :whistle:

9. teacake

TURN TO THE LAST PAGE AND REPORT PLEASE.

10. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

It says

The End

11. teacake

*sigh*

12. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Who's lost? :bolian:

13. ToddCam

ToddCam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This point is endlessly being made on this board. Yes, it's possible that these four people that you are referring to are the only people on the entire Earth who share this opinion. It's also possible that they are just the most vocal of a group that shares this opinion. No one is saying they took a scientific poll, but dismissing people's views because there isn't a popular uprising about something isn't a valid argument.

14. Christopher

I'm not dismissing the views, I'm just not unquestioningly accepting the unproven allegation that they're widely held. If one person is going to assert something like that as a factual statement, then other people are entitled to ask for evidence to support the statement.

There is a difference between an opinion and an allegation offered as support for that opinion. It is one thing to say "I see things that way." It's a statement of personal taste and there's no disputing that. But it is an enormously different thing to say "The majority of people agree with me." That is an allegation of fact -- and more importantly, an appeal to authority, an attempt to say "My opinion is the right one because most people share it." So by making an allegation like that, as opposed to simply offering a personal opinion, a commenter is opening oneself up to questions. Others are entirely within their rights to ask for evidence to support the claim.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  15. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

I and the majority of Star Trek readers (Or at least those that agree with me) believe that Star Trek is suffering a major lack of HAIR. Just look at Picard! Tho at least Sisko grew some of his hair back....

16. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

So, Janeway comes back, but without her hair, a la Mr Bigglesworth?

17. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Doesn't bear thinking about - Ilia she ain't !

18. Lonemagpie

She's sexier than Ilia, I'll grant you...

19. teacake

You people don't think the Borg Queen is hot?

20. Lonemagpie

Alice Krige's version, yes.

She seemed to have a thing for me and my waistcoats, though, so I'm totally biased.