Action hero Picard

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Makarov, Jan 16, 2014.

1. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sir Patrick Stewart always kept himself in great shape - partly because he likes young(er) women - so, I've never had a hard time believing that any of his characters, including Jean Luc Picard, were able of kicking some ass. Also, I've never forgotten what Picard was like in his youth, and I seriously doubt that he has. But he keeps that part of him in check, now. Picard's not timid, or weak, but he had become more thoughtful after his heart replacement. Think first ... then take action. Thing was, action wasn't always required, when sometimes it was just a matter of dialogue, or an introduction of a third party to the mix. But it's welcome, at least for me, to see the "old" Picard get to come out and remind him of his younger days. Seeing him scratching his itch to dog the Argo on the rough terrain of an alien landscape was but one notable expression of this ...

2. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In blatant disregard of the Prime Directive, with even less concern for the indigenous population than NuKirk, too. That's one thing about latter-movie Action Picard -- his sense of logic really seemed to decrease to that of an adrenaline junkie, taking plenty of unnecessary risks when even earlier examples of Action Picard still balanced out wit and the physical.

3. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

4. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TrekCore posted this on Facebook today. Very appropriate :lol:

[​IMG]

5. Whoa Nellie

Whoa Nellie Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:techman: Indeed he does!
    Very well said! :)

Warmest Wishes,
    Whoa Nellie

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

:lol:

7. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I didn't have a problem with Picard being an action hero.

First off, one has to remember TNG was modeled after what was supposed to be Star trek Phase II, with an older, more experienced Captain Kirk. Picard essentially filled that role, and it has been stated in several episodes that Picard in his younger days, was much more Kirk-like. In fact, I have a feeling if there had been a Star Trek Phase II, the way Kirk could have been portrayed, probably wouldn't be too different than how Picard was in TNG: a captain who is more seasoned and mellower, and who learned to use his brain more than his brawn. But, when required, Picard could hold his own.

As for Picard needing help against Soran, well, I say this: no matter how badass you might be, there's always someone who can kick your ass, under hte right circumstances. I guess Soran was just that guy for Picard. Even Jack Bauer get's his ass kicked once in a while.

8. Armored Saint

Armored Saint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Poor Berverly, doing the Security extra because as MD, she's confined to say that Starfleet officers are in incredibly good shape and that Son'a and Ba'ku are the same race. In Chain of Command, it's easy to understand, the infiltration mission needed a very small and specialized team...but in Insurrection...why were they only four to join Picard despite this ship was full of officers loyal to their Captain? Or perhaps Riker could have joined them and let the ship's command to Geordi, who as an experimented officer could have a deeper role than just saying that engineering is on fire.

It's hard to don't see a parallel between this movie of disobedience in leather jacket and the TOS movie of disobedience in leather jacket...especially when the main villain is burned on a collapsing satellite as a Klingon commander on collapsing planet. At least, in FC, Picard personnal confrontation was justified...because it was more personnaly concerned than everyelse.

The Action Picard of Starship Mine is very Picard...he uses his brain and his knowledge of his own ship.

9. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    :confused:

Might you have meant "experienced"?

10. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I love the moment where he just punches that terrorist that just beamed right next to him.

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Have you ever been experimented? - Jimmy Hendricks, Are You Experimented.*

*All misspellings are a deliberate and for humorous effect.

12. Armored Saint

Armored Saint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

May I have some Gatorade? I'm afraid I left all my electrolytes with your daughter.

13. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

Sounds like a win-win to me.

14. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have to admit, when I first watched FIRST CONTACT and saw Picard shooting the Borg in the Holodeck - like he was in THE EXPENDABLES and even giving that "Arggggghhhhhhh....!!!!" yell all these 8O's actions stars love to howl out when they deliver swift justice - I was like "what the balls?" I also expected him to have put the past away, with regard to The Borg, but apparently he's got quite the obsession about it.

But ... I watched it, again. Then, again. When - somehow - it started to seem so right! GENERATIONS had shown Picard lose his entire family and the movie series, as when Kirk had lost his son, was going to alter Picard's outlook to reflect that experience.

The "Hell Bent for Leather" mentality of his youth, may have even made him feel more vital and empowered and I don't doubt that kick-started more aggressive tendencies in the character. It all started to fit in place and seem quite logical, really. Unlike most Action Heroes, though, he only got The Girl in just one of the TNG movies ... gotta get The Girl, if you're an Action Hero!