MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 11, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

10.9%
  2. A

20.8%
  3. A-

18.1%
  4. B+

9.8%
  5. B

11.3%
  6. B-

4.2%
  7. C+

4.9%
  8. C

4.9%
  9. C-

3.8%
  10. D+

3.4%
  11. D

3.8%
  12. D-

2.6%
  13. F

1.5%
  1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I REALLY hope Superman helped with the Metropolis cleanup. It's the least he could do after his people destroyed so much shit. I imagine there are many people that resent him for the damages.

Too bad they didn't have a scene with Superman helping fix the city at the end of the movie. I thought something like that was really needed.

2. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The only thing that I completely hated in SIII was the the whole, completely unfunny slapstick at the beginning of the movie.

Making fun of blind people? Yeah that was pretty fuckin' low.

Richard Pryor had good scenes considering the rest of the material. I liked how he didn't really want to hurt Superman and actually helped him at the end.

Even S-IV had it's moments.

So far, MoS is the most sterile one. I hope they fix the issues in the sequel.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I certainly hope Man of Steel 2 shows some news footage of Superman helping to put the skyscrapers back up and whatnot.

4. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

All I remember about Superman IV right now is that Nuclear Man was terrible, and the ridiculous scene with Superman carrying the woman in outer space. I still don't know how she was alive during it. It was like the writers had stopped caring at that point! :lol:

Yeah, I really wish MoS had been more fun too.

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because you don't like something doesn't mean it has "issues." The movie is deservedly a huge success; these people know what they're doing.

7. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Doesn't mean it doesn't have issues, either.

8. Admiral Buzzkill

You've yet to identify a real one - just stuff you don't like.

The folks who made this film would do well to ignore anyone who tells them they should do anything other than what they think best.

9. Dr.H

Dr.H Lieutenant Red Shirt

Man of Steel is a success and it certainly does quench the popcorn crowd's insatiable thirst for chaotic, crazy action that causes mass deatheverywhere cobbled with blatant religious allusions*cough*cough*unsubtle Jesus nods and melodramatic writing and don't forget the intricate overly expository, sappy, forced moments of emotionally appeal*cough* cough*Russel EL.)

A sequel shall happen!

10. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

In what way is a god-like son, bequeathed to mortal parents and destined to save the world through self-sacrifice and by giving mortals an ideal to strive toward, not an "unsubtle Jesus nod"?

11. Dr.H

True, with the amount of money they've made of this thing the filmmakers have the last laugh.

12. Admiral Buzzkill

...and the best Superman movie ever. :cool:

13. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

There's always been some Jesus and other Biblical figure nods in Superman, so that's hardly anything new or rare. The oddest one here was making Superman 33 years old (like Jesus when he was crucified.) Which strikes me as a little... "old" to have Clark begin his Superman career. Did he really wander around the country/world between graduating high school and 33 doing pretty much whatever under a hidden series of identities?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  14. Dr.H

No, No did you not see that Jesus portrait when Clark went to that church or that Christ like pose he made when he got out of the ship? Superman ain't Jesus, he's essentially a hunky extraterrestrial Moses from an alien planet where they all mysteriously speak English and look like white earthlings.

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I could've used a few witty one-liners sprinkled in but other than that, it was a great movie.

16. Dr.H

I honestly originally felt like Superman was in his mid 20's or something before they revealed he was 33.

17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Henry Cavill is 30. I'm sure they wanted Superman close in age to the actor playing him.

18. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm happy the movie is a success. I enjoyed watching it, it just wasn't memorable. However, it being a success means they get to try it again in the sequel, and maybe we'll get a bit more of the supermansy stuff and less of the alien invasion stuff.

Yup, this is exactly it. I'm sure anyone younger than 18 had a fucking blast watching this movie

The 33 did strike me as odd as well. Superman (at least from the Donner era) has always been an allegory to Jesus.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Well, I'd have liked the Krypton sequence to be a bit shorter. That just means that everything didn't suit my taste ideally, not that there are problems with the movie.

20. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I haven't said anything about the movie one way or the other. I haven't even seen it yet. But no matter how much money it's made, there are obviously issues with the movie, or else so many people wouldn't have so many issues with it. It's obviously far from perfect, nor would I expect it to be. Just because you think it's the best thing since sliced bread doesn't make you the final, ultimate authority on its perfection.