STAR TREK: a series treatment starring APRIL and COLT

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by zekkie, Jun 1, 2013.

1. zekkie

zekkie Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

show me yours, or show me one better, Buzzkill.

2. zekkie

not at all.

block shot.
    no ensemble.
    special reuse of stock effects.
    use of already licensed properties.
    under 2 million per. easy.

3. zekkie

I want to give them Kirk and Spock, if you'll read a bit ;)

4. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

If I'm not mistaken he did write an episode of Next Generation.... that sounds pretty darn good...

5. zekkie

yes, i meant a quarter billion.

and it was no trouble at all to accumulate and outline 188 stories. do a little federation history research as hobby. none of this will turn out scrap, i can guarantee that. i've accounted for multiple potentialities, as stated, including novelization, and wherever i can take it. i can get this product licensed, it's just in superposition what medium it is presented

this has been a 'free time' project, and a joy to work on, regardless of outcome. it's prepared me for other cinematic projects, by learning teleplay format/storytelling and through making the connections, whilst i've been shopping it.

i'll make the largest effort i can, with the most leverage i have, to earn the role of showrunner, but i'm not that naive. i have names in mind in such a scenario. in fact, they are necessary.

and like i said to Buzzkill... show me yours or show me something better.

the criticism in this thread has basically amounted to equivocation, without review of the material.

and have some positivity folks (or at least constructive criticism). debbie downers, the lot of you, thus far lol

glad i've gotten my encouragement elsewhere ;)

6. zekkie

then i intend to outdo him, by about 40 Emmy's. (noms, anyway)

what's his name, and what episode? i might have him on my writer invite list.

7. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Not in the old canon's he's not the 1st Captain. We don't know if there is a Captain before Pike or not. It was never established in anything but TAS--which is take it or leave it in terms of canon. He's status in the new canon is wishy-washy, easily ignored; seeing as Pike was established at the first CO of the 1701.

In short: Why should anyone care about April outside the hardline fans.

8. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

There was nothing veiled there. If I were going to attack or impune you, there'd be no question I was doing so. I was explaining to others how the registration process works.

My only additional comment: anyone who puts their creative work out for public consumption should expect and accept that not everyone is going to like it.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why don't you simply explain where exactly I'm mistaken?

One gives the WGA some money and one uploads one's document. This establishes proof for Guild purposes that the document existed in that state on that date.

Why did you think that posting your document registration number established anything else of interest?

You're not invited to "invite" me to anything.

Here, this isn't veiled: your proposals here establish you as a not very interesting writer, and your registration number if valid establishes that at some point you had twenty-five dollars.

10. Professor Zoom

zekkie, I'm not going to respond to most of your reply. It's not necessary. I don't have anything to prove to you. Mostly, I just wanted it clear to others, that some of the things you are saying (registration) aren't true and how you are going about it doesn't show an understanding of how the business works.

But, this isn't true. I've specifically asked is the tone like Benson or Parks and Rec... and you haven't answered.

Why don't you ask him his name... he's in this thread...

11. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good luck.

12. zekkie

like i said, this encompasses the expanded continuity of licensed productions. and i'm not writing, necessarily, for appeal to hardliners, though i would like it to pass their inspection in terms of detail and appreciation of the franchise universe. my aims are a 20 million weekly Nielsen. and sell lots of cars.

but most importantly get a lot of talented writers/directors/crew Emmy noms.

in this expanded continuity April & Company have a ton to do with young Kirk and Spock (in a sense, making sure they survive to adult hood, re: stuff like Tarsus IV). not to mention, their role as the first crew of the Enterprise.

this series is a vehicle to tell the story of Kirk and Spock, if folks will read beyond a couple paragraphs.

13. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Emphasis mine:

This is why it's frowned on a lot of times (most the time) to release stuff to the wild before it's in production or on shelves. You've already poisoned the well by gaining negative comments and reviews towards the work in question and now have an existing bias that can affect the marketing or even getting it sold. It's bad business and more that a bit unprofessional to jump online and say "look at my super cool ideal".

Bold part: You've done last your viewers.

I'm John Doe public. I'm flipping through On-Demand. I see "Star Trek". Hey, I liked the movies, why not. I see April and Colt? Who the fuck are these guys? Where's Kirk, where's Spock. I don't read the comics, don't read the novels, and the most I game is COD or WOW. Why the shit do I care that some character from the comics/books is in the show.

People want Star Trek, and to the pop-culture that's Kirk and Spock. We tried a prequel, it was called Enterprise it failed. You're not going to pull 20 million with Apirl and Colt.

14. zekkie

in the most basic sense, hating on this treatment without valid warranted criticism, is hating on the expanded continuity. all i'm presenting is the anthology of the Enterprise, leading up to Kirk.

hating the characters? you're hating someone else's licensed, published Trek novel, game, or comic (or throw-away-line-history) (specifically, Gene Roddenberry's ;D)

15. zekkie

well excuse me, Mr.
    i'm not inviting you to anything, like you said.

"not interesting" to this crowd of trolls, perhaps.

sorry it met your field of vision, sir.

like i've said, i've gotten my encouragement elsewhere.

not sure what your problem is, but keep attacking if you will.

16. zekkie

thank you. it's greatly appreciated.

17. zekkie

But, this isn't true. I've specifically asked is the tone like Benson or Parks and Rec... and you haven't answered.

[/QUOTE]

either or. take your pick. it's not static. it's a workplace comedy like mentioned. and both of those shows have plenty of parallels. it's also a little like Firefly, Farscape, Wonderfalls, and few other shows by the scenarios they encounter, but it's mostly Star Trek.
    [/QUOTE]

18. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

If I was an average viewer: Why do I give a shit. Why do I care about the EU, Continuity, the timelines. I want my Kirk and Spock, and Uhura in a short skirt/Kirk in a ripped shirt (depends on the viewer), I don't care about EU and Continuity, I want more of the movies.

Is that whole little spiel suppose to make me feel bad? Cause what I'm seeing in that is just more "Love my fanwank ideals or your're not a real fan"

19. Professor Zoom

What were you expecting? Seriously. Because what you asked was, what do you think? And you got a lot of what people thought. And you don't like it. Why would you, it's not saying how great it is. But, then, you did post in on a bulletin board on the net and invited criticism. Of which there HAS BEEN, but, because you don't like it, it's trolling... If you are this thinned skinned as a writer HERE, its gonna be hard in the professional world...

Listen, honestly, if you want a career as a professional TV writer, I do, honestly, wish you the best. But, how you are going about it right now, isn't professional. You won't be taken seriously.

Honestly, if you have NO TV experience those that ACTUALLY matter won't even look at this.

If you have written a really great ORIGINAL pilot, maybe you can get an agent or a manager and they can get you meetings and SOMEDAY you can get this idea made... after you have made some great TV.

Have you written an original pilot? Or a spec of an existing show?

That's not a great answer when an exec asks you what the tone of the show is like. "It's either or..." No. They want to KNOW what is YOUR vision. What do YOU think it should be? And not static, what does that even mean? It's going to change from week to week? So one week the humor is one thing and then the next it's another? How would an audience stick with it... WHY would an audience stick with it if it's going to keep changing every week?

Firefly, Farscape, Wonderfalls, again, all three have VERY different tones.

To me, it sounds like you don't have a clear vision of what the show is going to be like, certainly not tonally. Pick one.

20. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

In short: You want approbation. You're not open to the concept that the work might be flawed or could be improved.